Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Stylized game prop - Putt Putt Onion Hut

Hey guys, started a smaller piece to exercise my stylized technique. I'm done with the sculpt, already got pointed out by some people that its a bit too stiff/straight and should feel a bit more dynamic and it needs more weight. So i'm adding an ffd on the whole thing and i'll fix it before I start texturing. I've also just finished the retop, so i'm starting the unwrap and bake tomorrow. I'm doing the leaves in photoshop and i'll add them with opacity maps later.

The model is based on this concept by Jourdan Tuffan: https://www.artstation.com/artwork/reBm6

Replies

• hmm_rock
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hmm_rock polycounter lvl 10
    Cool concept, nice sculpt, look forward to seeing more :)
  • Protokoll_Studio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Protokoll_Studio polycounter lvl 4
    Really nice concept. Will you add some furnitures inside this "house" ? :smile:
  • TheIronAmbassador
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @hmm_rock thank you! :smile:
    @Protokoll_Studio I hadn't really thought about adding actual furniture, but a good point, maybe when it's done I can stll add something. Just figured I would turn it into some kind of (bird)nest for a creature for now. 

Alrght so small update. I finshed the low poly and bakes and added the leaves etc, I took a quick render in substance painter with iray. It's not the greatest tho. First time trying out Iray, probably look into it a bit more some other time. Gonna do the final renders with UE4.
    There are some weird shading errors like at one of the branches but that has got to do with iray i guess. Its not there inside the viewport
    Any feedback on the overall shape would be appreciated. Not gonna change too much from the geometry. But proportions wise, if anyone has any remarks please let me know. Think i got pretty close to the concept. Gonna add colours now. And probably start texturing tomorrow
  • TheIronAmbassador
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Work in progress of my textures, still some stuff to do. Might finish it tomorrow. C&C is very welcome.
  • Elithenia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Elithenia polycounter
    This is so cute! :D<3
  • TheIronAmbassador
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Elithenia I thought so too when I first saw the concept :smiley:

Had a small setback due to my pc crashing but i got the textures finished, still some feedback would be appreciated though. Testing out some lighting right now and trying some different ways to present it. I first thought to keep the ground as a plane but i'm gonna try giving it some thickness maybe with a dirt layer or maybe put it on a small circular pedestal. Just gonna see what works best. Also not sure yet what i should do with the background.
  • Elithenia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Elithenia polycounter
    Only feedback I can think about at the moment is that maybe you want to make something a bit more saturated to make it stand out a bit more. 
    Even though the colours in the concept are quite the same, with the light it is made more saturated and so it keeps the eye a bit longer :)
  • TheIronAmbassador
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Elithenia said:
    Only feedback I can think about at the moment is that maybe you want to make something a bit more saturated to make it stand out a bit more. 
    Even though the colours in the concept are quite the same, with the light it is made more saturated and so it keeps the eye a bit longer :)
    @ElitheniaYeah I get what you mean and I defintely agree, the concept keeps your attention a bit longer. Might be able to fix that with the lighting, using a warmer and a cooler light to focus on one area more. Or else I'll quickly go back in the textures. Thanks for the feedback :smile:

• TheIronAmbassador
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alright gonna call this finished. Did the lighting and presentation inside UE4. Pretty happy with the result. Any feedback is still welcome. Might not change it immediately because exams are coming up. But I´ll definitely have a look at it again if there are any remarks. Let me know what you think :smiley:
    You
     can view high resolution and other shots on my artstation: https://www.artstation.com/artwork/6DJ4w
    Sketchfab viewer as well if you are interested: https://sketchfab.com/models/f60adb8cef3f4e2eb6dbcb7fcf3e5c31

• hmm_rock
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hmm_rock polycounter lvl 10
    Really lovely lighting. The slight dust motes are a really nice touch, as is the hint of interior. I like how the texture on the top leaves turned out, the kinda color switch/gradient. The shadows are looking a little dark in some areas, and the concept seems to have more of a blue shadow and green under lighting on the branches. Awesome piece overall :)
  • MisterWolfen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MisterWolfen polycounter lvl 8
    Such a chill piece, love it :smile: just took a look at your older stuff and it's a huge improvement
  • TheIronAmbassador
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hmm_rock said:
    Really lovely lighting. The slight dust motes are a really nice touch, as is the hint of interior. I like how the texture on the top leaves turned out, the kinda color switch/gradient. The shadows are looking a little dark in some areas, and the concept seems to have more of a blue shadow and green under lighting on the branches. Awesome piece overall :)
    @hmm_rock Wow, thank you for the nice words :smile: Yeah you're right, I thought the AO/shadows looked ok on my own pc. But now that I've seen it on some other screens they are a little dark. I do have a blue fill light there, but it is indeed a bit weak. Could probably turn down the ambient lighting a bit, and increase the strength of those fill lights. Should be an easy fix. Thank you for the feedback!

Such a chill piece, love it :smile: just took a look at your older stuff and it's a huge improvement

@MisterWolfen Thank you! I've been practicing and reading about techniques a lot so I'm really happy you notice the difference!

• MisterWolfen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MisterWolfen polycounter lvl 8
    @TheIronAmbassador :smiley: will defs be keeping an eye out to see what else you do haha, keep on hustling man 
  • Elithenia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Elithenia polycounter
    This looks great!!
    Well done with the colours! It looks much better.

Oh and congratulations on the first page! :)
  • TheIronAmbassador
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Elithenia Thank you!! And thank you for the great feedback you gave! :smile:
  • TashaLouiseArt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    it's lovely! May i ask how you manage to add the white lighting in the back? did you use two point lighting? 
  • TheIronAmbassador
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @TashaLouiseArt I used three point lighting, The main light from the top left, a fill light from the right and a very bright rim light at the back. Its just a point light cranked up all the way. If you see the backside it's super lit. But i only used it for that shot ofcourse.
  • creative-poly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    creative-poly polycounter lvl 8
    Really nice...