Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[WIP] New York ASA Building

polycounter lvl 14
Offline / Send Message
AlanSMitchell polycounter lvl 14
Edit

Hey all it's been a while since I've posted. But I'm back I'm aiming to do my best on this building exterior. I've been learning Substance Designer so any tips will be appreciated. I've been aiming to get my normal's done first. I'm still debating a whole lot of things such as destruction. Thinking decal normal maps to take care of high res normal's. Right now my textures aren't that optimized.

Full model
Eventually going into Unreal 4

Currently rendered in Marmoset 3

Reference

Replies

• AlanSMitchell
    Offline / Send Message

Nothing really changed just playing around with lighting in marmoset.
  • AlanSMitchell
    Offline / Send Message
  • AlanSMitchell
    Offline / Send Message

Just a quick update. I think the head adds something to the building. I dug up a really old character I had done and just made a quick bust. I'm not a character artist so I'm mot going to really showcase it. but it's in there.

• AlanSMitchell
    Offline / Send Message

Doors and door frame update if anyone has any ideas to fill out the interior for or any ideas for an alternate door I'm all ears.

• AlanSMitchell
    Offline / Send Message
    hey guys it's been a little while things got kinda crazy at work.

• gastrop0d
    Offline / Send Message
    gastrop0d polycounter lvl 5
    Wow cool project! All in all I think you are right on track recreating the subject, but there's a couple of things I notice:

- The top trim of the structure in the reference is more pronounced. That is, it sticks out further from the wall. I think this is actually quite significant in controlling the composition. It creates a stronger taper of the structure and pushes the eye down.

- The depth of the detailing around the door might be slightly too deep or high contrast. Might just be the lighting - I'd consider triple checking against the reference and making sure that detailing doesn't overpower the larger structures of the wall in terms of contrast.
  • AlanSMitchell
    Offline / Send Message
    gastrop0d
    Thanks for the Critique all good stuff I made the modifications to the building today. Nice catch btw. I didn't even notice it was jutting out that far at the top.

I just did a quick bake and tested it inside marmoset. Can't wait to put everything together. 

• samnwck
    Offline / Send Message
    samnwck polycounter lvl 9
    Just looking at this, I feel like you're trying to do a bit too much with the normal map. I guess it all depends on what the piece is for, but if you're going for a AAA realistic style, I feel like there needs to be a bit more geometric detail in the low poly meshes vs just doing everything on the normal map. However if you're gearing your portfolio towards something closer to mobile this might work. I think the extra work spent putting in that extra detail would do wonders for the finished product. But that's just me.
  • AlanSMitchell
    Offline / Send Message
    Fair point. for the TC part I looked at making the mesh extrude or I guess pop out more but it felt like a waist of polys based on the on screen size. In fact that's why I have been making a lot of the choices I've been making. I know keeping things low poly isn't as important now. I just don't want to start wasting them.  I think I want to chip up the base meshes though.

I've been looking at the Division Artwork incessantly. These corners look so nice. I'm not quite sure if it's a plane floating above the corner with this normal map I guess decal on it I highly doubt it's got a small bevel to it and it's modeled in.

If anyone knows and wants to enlighten me feel free.

• AlanSMitchell
    Offline / Send Message
    Another quick update. I toned down the normals a bit.
    I have also rerendered my normals out of Marmoset which has made a small difference.
    Added some polys

I'm not close to finished at all but. I did make a leap combining a lot of my maps.

• BucketOfNuggets
    Offline / Send Message
    BucketOfNuggets polycounter lvl 6
    Are you baking AO? The sculpts look great but it all looks very flat.
  • AlanSMitchell
    Offline / Send Message
    @BucketOfNuggets I have the AO maps but I haven't incorporated them into the textures yet. Right now I'm just using a couple of tiling textures to block everything out. My work isn't going to be as crazy starting next week so hopefully I can get more time to work on this.  Slowly but surely I'll get there.

• AlanSMitchell
    Offline / Send Message

I tried a new technique inside zbrush to quickly Boolean. This is a quick test. what do you guys think too much too little?
  • AlanSMitchell
    Offline / Send Message
    work has kept me really busy looks like I'm stuck working on the weekends.

• AlanSMitchell
    Offline / Send Message
    not much done today but I was able to knock out a railing and this city elec. man hole cover

bump offset

• AlanSMitchell
    Offline / Send Message

Trying to get a few things ironed out in Unreal Engine. just a quick update I may be swapping jobs soon I'm hoping to get a week in between jobs to really work on this. If that doesn't happen I still have my weekends.
  • RustySpannerz
    Offline / Send Message
    RustySpannerz polycounter lvl 13
    Looks really good in the engine! Nice work
  • AlanSMitchell
    Offline / Send Message
    RustySpannerz thanks man. Unreal is my go to Engine.

Right now my materials are doing a lot of the heavy lifting.
    I have a few more plans to bring some aging to the rest of the assets. more to come soon hopefully.
  • AlanSMitchell
    Offline / Send Message

the rain looks pretty good pretty good pitter pattering on the ground.

• FreneticPonies
    Offline / Send Message
    FreneticPonies polycounter lvl 3
    From a distance is looks good, but up close the materials and super low polycount don't hold up as well. Really good job from a distance though.
  • AlanSMitchell
    Offline / Send Message
    Finished this up just before attending GDC 2018

I wish I had more time to work on everyone's Criques I had gone through and started remodeling and rebaking everything. I took a week off of work to work on it at the last minute I had to revert to an old save for a couple of reasons.

#1 all the detail poping out was making it look sort of like Mickymouse toon town, Which could have just been the ammount I decided to pull it out, which I am full aware here it looks fine but in Unreal it just wasn't looking right.
    #2 It was getting too close to GDC and my problems seemed to multiplying by the minute with baking and lightmaps.

I was planning on pushing this further and maybe I'll come back to it but right now I need something a little more manageable. Having to do art in my time off work is tough.