Home Animation Showcase & Critiques

Renzell's Animation Sketch Book.

Replies

• _adamturnbull
    Hey man, good start. I've left some notes on one of them for now.

I think in general just try to be aware of things having too much of a linear motion at times. Moving things with a slight curve always looks better (unless you're working on something mechanical).

Also, try offsetting parts a little more so things don't look like they're landing at the same time.

Hope that helps!
  • ZoeLogiiK
    Offline / Send Message
    ZoeLogiiK polycounter lvl 2
    Hey man, good start. I've left some notes on one of them for now.

I think in general just try to be aware of things having too much of a linear motion at times. Moving things with a slight curve always looks better (unless you're working on something mechanical).

Also, try offsetting parts a little more so things don't look like they're landing at the same time.

Hope that helps!
    Thanks, I'm currently working on the fixes now, but any tips on how to get more of non-linear motion? trying to find out what kind of mindset to keep when coming across that.

Update: Taunt 1.2: Hopefully I fixed everything Adam wanted me to. 
  • ZoeLogiiK
    Offline / Send Message
    3-17-17 Update: Doubt this will land me that first job but at least it shows that Im not sitting on my ass doing nothing.

http://gph.is/2n1uyEL

http://gph.is/2mTJHrg
  • ZoeLogiiK
  • Hito
    Offline / Send Message
    Hito interpolator
    Hey hey, I recognize the email, you were in the GDC Anim Exchange stream yea?

game anims are at 30fps, not 24.

for the taunt, what is she doing? Blowing a kiss? a "you make me vomit" gesture? "F you" in sign language? A kind of arrogant invitation to stand at the spot closer to her? I think once you have a clear answer to this, you would have much better direction for the animation.

for the strafe... is it supposed to be a strafe cycle? or a lateral dodge?

what kind of fighter is she? a quick and precise type? a well rounded type? a slow/heavy type? This would determine largely how she would pose for ready state idle cycle. For a relaxed state idle, you'd want to pose her to show personality better. is she arrogant? sly? confident? Take some well know examples, consider the differences between Mei, Widowmaker, and Tracer.

You might have seen this already, it's been posted around here and else where. But two segments are particularly relevant to the anims you're working on:
    Mariel at the beginning, talking about acting out your animation, and being mindful of how the character will enter and exit the idle pose.
    Kristjan at the middle, around 30:00, everything in the body is connected, distribute the pose through the entire body instead of just part of the body.
    http://gdcvault.com/play/1024320/Animation-Bootcamp-Tricks-of-the

• ZoeLogiiK
    Offline / Send Message
    Run Update:  http://gph.is/2mBIdhK
    @Hito
    Thanks, I can obviously tell something not clicking yet when animating, maybe im overthinking things, but once i figure out that fluid motion I'll be a bit faster making "quality" but until then, we get progress and failure.

Update 2: Spammed my SyncSketch with animations, destroyed them all if you will, and please give me tips and tricks on the graph editor, It feel like thats the only thing I'm nothave understand yet.
  • AnthonyAnimation
    Offline / Send Message
    AnthonyAnimation greentooth
    Hey Renzell! 

You have a lot of stuff going on on SyncSketch. When learning animation I believe it's good to focus on quality over quantity. Pick one shot and really focus on it. The things you learn on that one shot can then be applied to others. Like it has been suggested before, studying reference helps a ton. Acting it out (even if you can't record it) goes a long way as well.

Don't worry too much about the graph editor right now. Everyone has a different workflow, but I usually don't dive into the graph editor until after blocking plus when most of my poses and timing is largely decided. Don't worry about camera moves either. Focus on nice posing/silhouettes first. A run cycle is great practice for weight distribution and there are a lot of resources/tutorials to help out. 
  • ZoeLogiiK
  • ZoeLogiiK
    Offline / Send Message
    Update: Taunt 1.3 (Done)

Ref: 

• slipsius
    Hi Renzell. I've updated your latest post with your embedded gif. It's easier people to see, and you`ll get more traction. 

To do this. You have to grab the image link from giphy. 

Then, when you post, click the attach image button and paste your link. The link has to end with .gif for this to work. 

Easy peasy, hope this helps! 

• Arturow
    Offline / Send Message
    Arturow polycounter
    Hi @ZoeLogiiK it's working! but pay attention to his balance, when she "throw" the kiss he could be more in balance :) good job !
  • ZoeLogiiK
    Offline / Send Message
    @Arturow
    Worked on a quick 2 hour walk to understand balance a bit more, I feel like it's there's but not quite there....if you know what i mean.
    Also I'm getting a weird popping with the legs.
  • AnthonyAnimation
    Offline / Send Message
    AnthonyAnimation greentooth
    The popping can be a culmination of a lot of things. It's the distance the foot is from the hips- it could be the up and down, hip swivel (rotating the hip forward as you step), or the foot roll. Also take a peek at the graph editor and watch the translation of the feet as they go back to see if it's constant or if there are some hitches.
  • Hito
    Offline / Send Message
    Hito interpolator
    knee pops are tough, every rig is different so you have to trouble shoot them case by case. if the rig has anti-pop built in that might help. turn on stretchy limps can help as well. push the pelvis forward with the push-off and drift it back from plant to cross-over can help, and will add a lot of life overall. if you think of the legs as two vectors, on the push off, the vector has up and forward components, pushing the pelvis up and forward, speeding it up ever so slightly relative to the foot. on the plant, the vector has up and backward components, pushing the pelvis up and backward, slowing it down slightly.

It's hard to pin down specifics without being able to frame by frame it, this is what I see: the left foot speeds up for a couple frames just after right leg passes it forward. right foot comes to a near stop just before push off. The left stride is slightly longer than the right.

one thing you can try is animate both legs in unison, so it looks hopping in a flour sack. once you have good motion without pops. set the curves to cycle, and offset one of the legs keys by 50%.
  • ZoeLogiiK
    Offline / Send Message
    \hmmmm, not sure where I was going with this, brbr in a hour.
    I want to get bettwer with the leg popping issue.

Update: Arm Swing
    Interesting, the Arm doesnt rotate on 1 axis for the actual swinging, gotta use all 3 to get a left to right feeling.

How many frames do you guys normally do for an easing to a neutral pose?

• ZoeLogiiK
    Offline / Send Message
    wanting get a better knowledge on rotation antipication and easing, 

also tried a bit of breathing.

Update: 
    Less bouncing less Antipication, other charcater has idle, looks like he's actually breathing now.
  • Hito
    Offline / Send Message
    Hito interpolator
    cool exercises. you might find this useful if you haven't seen it already http://polycount.com/discussion/comment/2385983/#Comment_2385983

I'm partial to physical 3,3 or 3,3/2 settles. it really depends on the amount of force you want to convey for the action. take the looking up action as example, a perky happy action might have a 3,3 settle over 5 to 7 frames. A sad action might have 3,3/2 settle over 10 frames. a coked up super cartoony action might have a 4,5 settle over 5 frames.

• ZoeLogiiK
    Offline / Send Message
    Update: gave a bit more story, going to play around with simple movement.
  • ZoeLogiiK
    Offline / Send Message
    Hito said:
    cool exercises. you might find this useful if you haven't seen it already http://polycount.com/discussion/comment/2385983/#Comment_2385983

I'm partial to physical 3,3 or 3,3/2 settles. it really depends on the amount of force you want to convey for the action. take the looking up action as example, a perky happy action might have a 3,3 settle over 5 to 7 frames. A sad action might have 3,3/2 settle over 10 frames. a coked up super cartoony action might have a 4,5 settle over 5 frames.

I'm currently looking at the Gif, but I have no idea what 3,2 means. is it every 3 frames I return it the key pose?
  • JonathanAnimates
    Offline / Send Message
    JonathanAnimates polycounter lvl 6
    ZeoLogiiK my thoughts.
    You're trying to do wayyyyy to much. I highly suggest you focus on doing 1 animation correctly.. Not 12.
    If you want me flatter your ego I can tell you....cool stuff man.. keep it up..and well..... you're never going to improve.

1) stop what you're doing.
    2) get a video reference of 1 thing you would like to do
    3) study it and use that as a reference

I suggest you do a simple, sit to stand animation. Then a stand to sit.  If you are ready to listen, the right people are all in this forum to help you out. 

-Jonathan

• Hito
    Offline / Send Message
    Hito interpolator
    I found the original article http://1ucasvb.tumblr.com/post/44666043888/easing-functions-are-an-immensely-useful-tool-for
    It's very mathy. I think it's meant more for UI animators.

I roughly understand it similar to rhythmn notation in music. 4/4 for example means 4 beats per bar; 1/4th note per beat. In those graphs horizontal axis is time, normalized 0-1; so a bar could be 10 frames long; or 50 frames long; what's important is the ratio of the oscillations and the time it takes for each oscillation. so back to the graphs, physical 3,3 I take as 3 oscillations from entry to rest, each oscillation taking 1/3rd overall time from entry to rest. so in a more concrete example, if I do a settle over 12 frames, the object would oscillate 3 times, each taking ~4 frames. Similarly, 4, 5 would be 4 oscillations, each taking 1/5th overall time. 3,3/2 is a bit of an odd one, similar to when you count one-and two-and in music beats.

in the end they are very rough guides, once I have a few keys down I can push them left/right to get the exact timing I'm satisfied with.

• ZoeLogiiK
    Offline / Send Message
    I somewhat understand,Hito said:
    I found the original article http://1ucasvb.tumblr.com/post/44666043888/easing-functions-are-an-immensely-useful-tool-for
    It's very mathy. I think it's meant more for UI animators.

I roughly understand it similar to rhythmn notation in music. 4/4 for example means 4 beats per bar; 1/4th note per beat. In those graphs horizontal axis is time, normalized 0-1; so a bar could be 10 frames long; or 50 frames long; what's important is the ratio of the oscillations and the time it takes for each oscillation. so back to the graphs, physical 3,3 I take as 3 oscillations from entry to rest, each oscillation taking 1/3rd overall time from entry to rest. so in a more concrete example, if I do a settle over 12 frames, the object would oscillate 3 times, each taking ~4 frames. Similarly, 4, 5 would be 4 oscillations, each taking 1/5th overall time. 3,3/2 is a bit of an odd one, similar to when you count one-and two-and in music beats.

in the end they are very rough guides, once I have a few keys down I can push them left/right to get the exact timing I'm satisfied with.

I somewhat understand. Ill see what Ill see what i can learn from this.

Update: Added Old 2D animations along with my 3D Progression.
  • ZoeLogiiK
    Offline / Send Message
    @Hito
    Hmm, thanks actually been making little tests here and there. starting to understand and can see a motion i can like and understand.
     Going to do a bit of offsetting of the bounces and see what i can come up with.
  • ZoeLogiiK
    Offline / Send Message
    Interesting. 3 Tests complete.
    It seems liks Rx,RY, and RZ can be swapped, which may cause issues later. Can anyone explain why that is for some rigs?

*Going to give clown a bit more bounce feel.

Issue/Question:

in the Body Mech Rigs, The Head FK rotates are different from the rest of the rig,why is that?
    RY should rotate Left and right, but for some reason it's not doing that.

• Hito
    Offline / Send Message
    Hito interpolator
    it depends on the original skeleton joint orientation; controller rotation when it was connected to the skeleton; orientation of the intermediate objects like space switchers, roll joints, etc, plus any constraint offsets, then on top of that there's rotation order. and rigger preference/habits.

just something animator have to be flexible about and be able to adapt work flow to rigs.

• ZoeLogiiK
    Offline / Send Message
    @Hito, i see, i see,

Can 3D animation really be done with Simple movement?  15 minutes, interesting indeed. (scrap)

Update: So this it eh world of 3D animation, Going to problem solve a bit more. but im learning so much. FK/IK Transition.

• ZoeLogiiK
    Offline / Send Message
    Overwatch Break: I saved it, going to test out different splining workflow. see which one i can get the fastest and efficient way for me to work.
  • ZoeLogiiK
    Offline / Send Message
    Trying to problem solve TX Motion and came across another interesting problem, The playblast changed the color of the animation for some reason...any idea why?
  • ZoeLogiiK
    Offline / Send Message
    Update: Weird Bluring on the Ground block when there's no Keys on it, 

• ZoeLogiiK
    Offline / Send Message
    Update: Done Loop 
  • ZoeLogiiK
    Offline / Send Message

Watched the BlizzCon animated short panel and came across how they reuse and recycle animamtion with Animation Library. These men are smart men. 

Thanks ,Andrew Conroy
    Animation Transfer, CurveStudy and arc Fixing. Now...time for Smear frames.
  • Hito
    Offline / Send Message
    Hito interpolator
    nice stuff. the smeared arms in the last one could be a bit higher above the head, they are a little lost in the larger silhouette of the head. and it's more dramatic when the hands are almost grasping the ball instead of being quite a distance away. since you're breaking them in all sorts of ways already there's no need to keep them at the default length. :D
  • ZoeLogiiK
    Offline / Send Message
    @Hito
    Thanks for feedback. Ill do some research on Silhouette, havent hit that meta yet.
    But in the mean time

Death Challenge :smile:  WIP, general motion im going for, excpt the end.

• Hito
    Offline / Send Message
    Hito interpolator

easier with a pic, just stretch the arms more so they are clear of the big round shape of the head for those 5 or 6 frames where he's flailing after the ball.
  • ZoeLogiiK
    Offline / Send Message
    Update: Almost done...ish. break time.

• ZoeLogiiK
    Offline / Send Message

Update: Dead_05: Done.
     and With box motion.

Update: 2/25/17 made him fall a bit faster.

...since i keep getting bothered with "use references comments"...here
    Ref:
  • ZoeLogiiK
  • brucemoose
    Offline / Send Message
    brucemoose polycounter lvl 3
    Are you filming reference for these animations, If not I would start doing that.
    ZoeLogiiK said:
    @Arturow
    Worked on a quick 2 hour walk to understand balance a bit more, I feel like it's there's but not quite there....if you know what i mean.
    Also I'm getting a weird popping with the legs.

You could probably soften those knee pops by softening your ty  and rotating your hips in rx so up down

• ZoeLogiiK
    Offline / Send Message
    Min Min from Arms.
    hmmm, Infinity can offset some things.
  • ZoeLogiiK
    Offline / Send Message
    Update:
    Fixed Min Min pose to feel a bit more dynamic.
     Added Twintelle: came across a weird head pop when there's no keys on the neck nor the Head.

Update: 5-29-17
    Copy the first frame and last frame, off set the Torso at random,gave an inhuman and interesting effect.(kind of like it)
    Note: Also learned that starting from frame 0 apparently help later in the long run....interesting.
    Ref: https://youtu.be/QSQJLOdaBlY
  • ZoeLogiiK
    Offline / Send Message
    Im getting more confident in my animation abilities but im still having issues with rotations movement.any know how I would go about making the head feel more smooth?

Update: ....fuck

Update again:  ...

Final Update:  Burnt myself out trying to fix the head.
  • Hito
    Offline / Send Message
    Hito interpolator

watch the weight distribution on that pose. Left is what I suspect Min Min is actually posed if you rotated the camera closer to a full on side view. You can fudge it a little bit depending where you position the head but all in all your pose is too unbalanced.

regarding the head and waving arm, try it with the head opposing the action of the arm. Since there's no right arm, the head mass would move to counter the arm mass shifting. The pelvis can shift a little bit more as well, more/less in proportion to how much the upper body shifts laterally.

• Einar
    Offline / Send Message
    Einar polycounter lvl 5

ZoeLogiiK said:

Update: 2/25/17 made him fall a bit faster.

...since i keep getting bothered with "use references comments"...here
    Ref:

So yeah i think i see some pattern here. The reference you use doesn't really work as a reference. I think you're misunderstanding the function of a reference, and learning that will help you immensely.

Using reference is to analyse movement you're going to use. Let's use your example with the waving. You want to know how to get the head to look good in the wave motion, how do you know how the head should rotate? Simple take a video of yourself waving, and analyse what your head is doing during the wave. Now you can add your spin on it, but keeping the physics rooted in your mind.

The same thing with the walk, use reference to see how a foot lands, what happens to the knee, where the weight shifts are,  what happens to the waist, is the character balanced etc. Learning to read reference is going to help you immensely.

The above reference cuts too much to analyse the actual fall, doesn't even show the whole body, and is therefore kinda useless for your animation. The only part that works too me as reference there is her reaction as she tries to keep balance after the impact in the back, which is very cool in itself, but is not present in your animation.

Don't worry, you have plenty of interesting and good stuff, you can just push it even further with proper use of reference, and save loads of time. I remember my animations before i started using reference (which is not long ago trust me) and i'm very glad i started, haha. Good luck buddy!
  • ZoeLogiiK
    Offline / Send Message
    Jump

@Hito : Fixed Min Min pose and tweaked the motion a bit, I'm not sure if its still not looking balanced or not. Maybe i still havent develop the eye for posing and keeping things balanced yet.  But thanks mang, I do like this version a bit more.

• AGoodFella
    Offline / Send Message
    AGoodFella polycounter lvl 5
    The left character looks like he travels too forward much and is close to falling over.

• ZoeLogiiK
    Offline / Send Message
    Has anyone ever really developed an eye to keep a pose balanced by heart? 
  • AGoodFella
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm not sure what you mean but a little trick I like to do is to select the COG and then switch the rotate to world and see where the vertical axis lines up.

It's not perfect because the center of gravity is not always at the COG control but it's quick and dirty and gives you a preliminary idea of where the center of gravity might be.
  • AGoodFella
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm not sure what you mean but a little trick I like to do is to select the COG and then switch the rotate to world and see where the vertical axis lines up.

It's not perfect because the center of gravity is not always at the COG control but it's quick and dirty and gives you a preliminary idea of where the center of gravity might be.
  • Hito
    Offline / Send Message
    Hito interpolator
    ZoeLogiiK said:
    Has anyone ever really developed an eye to keep a pose balanced by heart? 
    It's just practice, years and years of Life drawing is the best way.
  • AGoodFella
    Offline / Send Message
    Check this out: