Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Sci-fi Stuff (critique welcome)

McGavish
polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
McGavish polycounter lvl 4
Hi everyone!
I'm just finishing another game-art project in sci-fi climates. High poly is almost done. 
For modeling I used an awesome Blender addon - HardOps.
Next step is to create low poly and texture in Substance Painter.
Created in Blender, rendered in Cycles.
Please let me know what do you think about the design.

Project is available on ArtStation: https://www.artstation.com/artwork/BvAR6

Replies

• RasmusBagner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RasmusBagner polycounter lvl 6
    Really great design. A few things out of place might be. The main display is a bit simple compared to the rest. There is also some size problem with the steam vent thingys. they seem small compared to the switches, which i base the size of the object from. Looking forward to seeing more. 
  • McGavish
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RASMUSBAGNER Thank you for your critique. Yes, I see problems with the scale now and I will fix them firstly.
    I will also improve the design of the display, add more stuff and details.
  • McGavish
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've just finished this sci-fi project.
    More renders and information: https://www.artstation.com/artwork/kZobd
    Modeled in Blender, textures from Substance Painter.

• Doomathon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Doomathon polycounter lvl 4
    Hi Mcgavish,

Really beautiful work! Great model, bake and texture work all around. like the colors too, reminds me of Fallout :). The exterior edges could use some more dings and scratches. If it is being picked up/put down and dragged around you would assume it would get pretty beat up due to the repeated contact with the surface(s) it has been placed on. I think the handle bars are also too shiny. The reflections make it look like new while the presence of grime/dirt obviously begs to differ. Also, the top cylinder needs some sort of grounding or base so it doesn't just look like it is floating there, you know what i mean? You did that with the handle bars and how it looks like they are purposefully integrated into the structure of the machine itself. Maybe a nit picking thing, but possibly change the dirt stand it is on. I'm not sure where this would be utilized, I imagine the underbelly of an old space ship? just thought it would fit that environment better :)

Overall great job!
  • McGavish
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Doomathon 
    Thank you for very constructive critique! Floor is kind of placeholder. Finally this model will be placed in destroyed laboratory or space ship. This is kind of stationary machine so it wouldn't be moved anywhere.
    I'm going to create full sci-fi interior and this is the first step ;)
  • Beard3D Bandit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Beard3D Bandit polycounter lvl 7
    @McGavish
    Hay, reallly awesome looking and slick design. what was the process specifically to using hardops. did you increase the bevel segment amount for the bake etc?

followed on artstation
  • macoll
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    macoll polycounter lvl 13
    I don't like your color scheme but hey, your prop looks really great  ;)  Indeed very Fallout-ish...