Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Character Modeler Portfolio - Critics and advices

Offline / Send Message
Pinned
Hello, my name is Marilys, i am a 22 years old french student, and i am currently looking for a intership or first experience as a character modeler.
Unfortunately, i send a lot of email to companies since 2 or 3 months, but i didn't have a positive answer yet, so, i wanted to know what i have to enhance or modify in my portfolio to have the chance to get a positive answer !

Thanks a lot for your answers and your time !

Here's my portfolio :  http://subramarilys.wixsite.com/marilys-porfolio<br><br>

And this is some of my works:

Replies

• Felixenfeu
    Offline / Send Message
    Felixenfeu polycounter lvl 10
    Hello Marilys !

I'd stay the most striking thing about your current work is that you don't have a lot of variety. You are working within your own comfort zone and style.

You only have stylized women at the moment, and unless you find a company that needs someone to do stylized women only, you are gonna have a hard time finding work.

I'll give your 2 different options that imo could help a lot. Everybody has different needs and dreams so you know what's best.

1. If you know some companies that do stylized characters, and you want  to keep doing stylized work, it's ok, there is companies that will need artist to do stylized work. But you need more variety. Do some stylized creatures, some men, some animals. 

2. If all the companies you try to work at don't do stylized characters, well you either change your style, look elsewhere, or go abroad. 

Second thing is, do you want to work in games, or do you want to work in film/tv ?

If you want to work in games, you will need to show more texture map, wireframe, and realtime stuff. Show that you can either do some great optimized hand painted characters, or PBR realistic characters. But you can't just show renders like you have at the moment.

If you want to work in films/TV, you will need to have a porfolio that have a broader type of work. Having more than just characters in TV/Film and having more than one skill helps a lot to get  a job as  tasks usually vary more than games.

Hope that helps !
  • Alemja
    Offline / Send Message
    Alemja quad damage
    You have very nice work, it has a lot of character! However, I have to echo what @Felixenfeu said, if you want to work in games, you have to make game art. Zbrush renders alone aren't going to cut it as sculpting is only about 25% of the game development process. What I would recommend doing is for one of your current characters or the next character you make take the time to make a game version and put it in Marmoset or Unreal. Film would follow a similar pipeline, you would have to make stuff that can deform and animate on rigs.

It is also important to note that even if you want to do film/vfx learning unreal is immensely helpful as real-time rendering solutions are starting to be used more and more. They actually used Unreal for Rogue One on a couple of scenes.

The stylization of your stuff can be an issue because usually if you do stylized stuff you are looked at as only doing that, while if you do more realistic stuff it is assumed you can do stylized too. However it is really your choice, if you wish to purse a stylized portfolio I would definitely think about which studio you would want to work at and tailor your stuff more towards that style.

I hope this helps!