Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[WIP] Subway Environment

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
Cheathem polycounter lvl 6
Hi everyone, I'm making a simple subway environment and want to get some feed back while making it. I'm focusing a lot of materials and figuring out environment building techniques. I've also deviated from the reference a bit. Let me know what you think  :)

3D modeling and unwrapping in 3ds Max.
Texturing in Substance Designer.
Visualizing in Unity.

P.S. Sorry for the game engine post processing  :p
Reference Image

3ds Max Viewport

3ds Max Viewport

3ds Max Viewport

3ds Max Viewport

3ds Max Viewport

3ds Max Viewport

Unity Screen Grab

Unity Screen Grab

Unity Screen Grab

Unity Screen Grab

Unity Screen Grab

Unity Screen Grab

Unity Screen Grab

Replies

• Cheathem
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi guys, I'm trying to figure out the wiring and piping. I have no idea what i'm doing.

• oraeles77
    Offline / Send Message
    oraeles77 polycounter lvl 4
    hey,

i have some questions, when you say visualised in unity, do you mean rendered? or is this exactly how it would look in game? what type of shaders are you using? what type of lighting? could you upload a video?
  • Cheathem
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey oraeles77. What i mean by that is rendered real-time in Unity, so yes that's how it would look in game. I just paused the game and took a screen grab. Also all the shaders and lighting are Unity's defaults. I can't make a video but i could answer more questions if you have them.
  • Cypherical
    Offline / Send Message
    Cypherical vertex
    Hi Cheathem,

Your work seems to be coming along nicely, I really hope you can pull off the gritty feeling of your reference image,

for the pipes I see in the reference image they are quite uniform and straight, but in your scene they are a bit wobby, I know I had trouble with pipes in my scene, I decided the best way for me was to model the pipes out as a modular set, this helped me to get the pipes to move in a more industrial way. I actually took the idea for the modularity from Joel Burgess who worked on Fallout 4, Hopefully this image can give you some insight and help http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-bhtTnTcmv9c/UWuMl0W-BjI/AAAAAAAAAWg/Of1_9wUGJyw/s1600/gdc2013pipes.png

The only other thing I have is that the lighting in the reference is quite blown out on the left side, so maybe just take care when trying to match the image, sometimes direct translation from image to 3D rendering can be very different,

Goodluck and keep up the great work!

-Fabian

• Cheathem
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Cypherical,

I hope so too! I've been experimenting with different techniques for it. The pipes have been very tedious. I wish i would have used a modular set from the beginning. Ill see if i can make my life easier still by switching over, and I'll look into better lighting. Thanks man!
  • macoll
    Offline / Send Message
    macoll polycounter lvl 13
    The meshes look clean and neat ! The unity scene looks too bloom-y imo.
    More color variations in the albedos would be cool but i gues this is only the beginning so....keep up  ;)
  • Cheathem
    Offline / Send Message
    macoll  Thanks! And i agree, i'll experiment with it more.

here's a trash bag i made as research for trash. i don't know if it would make since to be in the subway tunnel so i might make a side hallway. 

This was fun to make so I'm probably going to make more. here's a Marvelous Designer GIF for those interested in the process.

The final result has slightly different fabric settings and a different collision mesh.
  • Cheathem
    Offline / Send Message
    Sorry for the slow progress, atill very wipy, A lot of time has been spent just figuring out how i'm going to do something vs just doing it. Also iterating a lot on the concrete texture and trying to figure out how i'm going to do grunge. Definitely want to make some alphas soon and more trash too. If you have any thoughts let me know! 

• Cheathem
    Offline / Send Message
    Forgot to mention, the black lines going down the ceiling and divider walls will be removed,Just and error with the uvs and lack of replacement textures.
  • Cheathem
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys, back with some grungy stuff. I'm using Substance Designer to make some grunge decals.

• Cheathem
    Offline / Send Message
    Sorry for the slow progress. Decided to remake the concrete textures. I made some garbage too! Any crits thus far would be appreciated!

• Yoji
    Offline / Send Message
    Yoji polycounter lvl 8
    Hey nice! I was just about to create some garbage bags too. Thanks for the GIF. Needed it! :blush:
    How did you make the crumpled paper?
    I don't know if it's because of the lighting or the lack of AO but your red railings look like they're floating.
  • Cheathem
    Offline / Send Message
    Yoji said:
    Hey nice! I was just about to create some garbage bags too. Thanks for the GIF. Needed it! :blush:
    How did you make the crumpled paper?
    I don't know if it's because of the lighting or the lack of AO but your red railings look like they're floating.
    Sorry for the delay, here's a gif of the paper ball simulation. It was made in 3ds max using the cloth simulation tools.
  • Jaston3D
    Offline / Send Message
    Jaston3D polycounter lvl 8
    These sims are super cool. Don't really have any real crits since its so early into the environment
  • Yoji
    Offline / Send Message
    Yoji polycounter lvl 8
    Thanks again @Cheathem! No delay, still relevant! :smile: