Home Digital Sketchbooks

Sketchbook: VGuerreiro

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
VGuerreiro polycounter lvl 8
Hello Polycount! I'm new around here, and I'm trying to improve some skills. I'm also kinda new to the game pipeline and 3D modeling in general.

I recently completed a degree in Cinema and Multimedia (which had very little 3D related classes) and I hope one day to get into the games industry.

As I hope to share knowledge and improve my work, crits and comments are always welcome!

For my first post I show some W.I.P. on a humanized cat-like character I'm working on. Still need to model the hands.

I will try to keep this one in under the 2500 polys budget and I might make him some clothing and props.

For now I'm hand modeling this as a practice exercise, I will be studying some mudbox sculpting further down the line.

ba5Tzfr.png

PR8ZxVo.gif

Replies

• VGuerreiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A little W.I.P. on the Hand model, still quite some tweaking to do here.

mUXEaRm.png
  • VGuerreiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    One more W.I.P. ...

Here is the final (for now) model of the hand:

lZp1Oxz.png
    9eXu7sk.png

I already attached the hand to the body, still not yet sure about some proportions and shapes...but let's see where this goes.

omuWD4S.png
    71KEpEm.gif
  • VGuerreiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    And now something 2D! This is a little sketch I did the yesterday:

246PZZd.jpg
  • VGuerreiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello! I'm back! :) 

A lot has been going on so that I just vanished form polycount . 

As a quick update - I ended up not importing the character I worked on, into UDK for time constraint reasons, also that project was done just for a matter of practice. So here are a couple of sketchfab animations I did with the final version of the character: 

model

model
    After that project I also did this kind of fantasy/steam-punk flamethrower to practice some ZBrush Sculpting and PBR Worlkflow with Substance Painter:

model

I also have done and experimented with a lot of other tinny projects that you can find in my blog: http://visions-mind.tumblr.com

Now I'm starting to work on an environment art for portfolio. Here's a top-down map I sketched to plan and define the environment locations:

You can find  a full description of the project in this link: http://visions-mind.tumblr.com/tagged/thewanderer
    I will try to update this project here in polycount as I go along, however I'm not sure if I should update about this project here on my sketchbook or create a new thread in the 3D Art Showcase, but I'll look into it later.
    I will be streaming part of the process of making this environment art on twitch in the channel - 

So that's it for now, I'll try and keep this more updated from now on! :) 
  • VGuerreiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So after another break, another update.

I finally created an artstation profile  where I've been uploading some props that I am making to study and improve my workflow as well as trying to decide for a look/art style for 'The Wanderer' project. I have been making some timelapse video diaries of the project on youtube.

I will try to upload more of the process here on polycount as well.

That's it for now, 
    cheers!
  • miguelnarayan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    miguelnarayan polycounter lvl 8
    Heh! Not bad, your first 3D models reminds me of my first as well, I tried an humanoid creature just like that. Some advice... focus on one thing at a time... forget 2D for now, unless you are doing it for just a hobbie.
    Also there is a : missing in your link to artstation :)
  • VGuerreiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello there! Thank you for your feedback! :smiley: The 3d character wasn't actually my first model, I did that as last review/'goodbye' before I started to focus more on Environment art and Props in a more 'modern' workflow (zbrush, pbr, etc). That's why I tried to apply everything from hand box modeling to rigging, some simulation with the cloth and photosohp hand painted textures. I enjoy drawing, I'd like to improve on that for the fun of it, but yeah for now I've been trying to really focus more in the 3d environment art and prop stuff :). Thanks again for stopping by and for the heads up on the artstation link :smiley: .
  • VGuerreiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Another update! Just did a little side project for practice!
    This time I designed and modeled a game-ready Plasma Canon. Did the base Model in Blender, UV mapped in 3D Coat, hand-painted the normal map details in Quixel Suite 2 NDO and textured in Quixel Suite DDO and Photoshop.
    All the following images/animations were rendered and animated using Toolbag 3.

- Turn around:

Some Marmoset Toolbag 3 shots:

Wire frame shot:

Turn around of the base model without any normal information:

For more information here's the link for the post I did, in my blog, with a general breakdown and workflow explanation.

Alright! That's it for now! Hope you enjoy it! Crits and comments are ALWAYS WELCOME :D!
  • VGuerreiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Another late update :smile:  !
    The idea was to create a Fantasy Backpack for practice and workflow improvement.

While creating this I imagined it being used by a person who would go around the world documenting everything - writing diaries, descriptions, drawing animal species, vistas and mapping uncharted places. This backpack would be where this imaginary character would store all his needs, living life on the trail. 
    He would be part of a Guild, 'The Wanderer's Guild' (hence the insignia cloth in the backpack) - a group of people dedicated to travel and document all there is to see, the first to go places never seen, see creatures never seen and bring back the most precise information they can get.

A couple of Toolbag3 renders of the axe & knife:

Here's the Artstation Link for more screenshots and some marmoset viewer goodness.

That's it for now! Hope you enjoy it! C&C are welcome as usual :)!