Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Sci-Fi Pilot

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
samnwck polycounter lvl 9
Here is the current progress, 

The black suit is still very WIP, but I wanted to hear some opinions on the suit design. It's supposed to be a flight suit, with synthetic muscles to keep the wearer's body safe in the event of an impact and can help the wearer lift more weight planetside, or in the case of a planet with gravity less than Earth's, it can simulate forces similar to Earth to keep the wearer's muscular system from deteriorating.

Replies

• samnwck
    Offline / Send Message
    Continuing with the flight suit. This is a super rough sketch of the approximate details I'm looking at. Any crit on the suit design is greatly appreciated!

• Winstone
    Offline / Send Message
    Winstone polycounter lvl 5
    Hey man! 
    Looking stellar so far. Do you have any points of reference you are working from? Are you planning to add any exo support for the suit? would be nice to see some nice hard body stuff to contrast your smooth contoured shapes. Supports for major joint areas, like clavical, knees, elbows est.  would be really cool as well. 

Keep it up man. 
  • samnwck
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the kind words! So currently, forearms, knees, shins, helmet and some parts of the back are going to have the majority of the hard surface detail (yet to be added). As for references I'm trying to wing it, which is why I've been doing real quick dynamesh sculpts just to help figure out the details I like. Though my main sources of inspiration are the Crysis nanosuit and the Shield Weaver armor from Horizon: Zero Dawn

Basically the flight suit is the base-layer, it's what the astronaut wears on planets for life support, however it has it's limitations such as only a 5-10 min air supply for EVA in space, only good down to -100 deg C, etc. But I plan to add hookup points for other accessories, you can see some very rough ones on the front view (the circular metal things). Those are what military personnel who also wear the flight suit would attach armor to and the like. Though I don't actually plan on including that for my science officer, just a simple holster for a sidearm when they go through areas of potential piracy. 
  • samnwck
    Offline / Send Message
    Working on the bracers, needs more panel lines and some other details, but overall I'm really digging the look!

• samnwck
    Offline / Send Message
    Working my way through piece by piece, torso detailing is up next.

• samnwck
    Offline / Send Message
    Got the chest plate done.  Last few days have gone to shit due to technical issues. But I'm back at it again and I'm now finding out that trying to concept pieces as you go is a bad move, especially when you're not great at concepting. I swear I throw out like 5-10 designs before I find something i like. Thankfully doing that in zbrush is fast.

• samnwck
    Offline / Send Message
    Bit more progress, found a lot of the design needed to be fixed to fit the aesthetic I found myself going towards. 

• samnwck
    Offline / Send Message
    Small update on the back

• samnwck
    Offline / Send Message
    More progress. Finally figured out what I wanted to do with the back. Legs and neck pieces are in the works but not really ready for showtime yet. 

• kanga
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage
    Looks great! I really like the design. Are those last renders in keyshot?
  • samnwck
    Offline / Send Message
    @kanga  no just lowly Toolbag 3 with a very high-res HDRI. Thanks! The design is one of those things I've been struggling with since the beginning since my concept sculpt for the most part just didn't match up with the design elements I started laying out on the arms so I had to start all over again. 
  • kanga
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage
    Ah Toolbag, thanks. Well the design looks very interesting and I am curious to see where this goes.
    Great stuff!
  • samnwck
    Offline / Send Message
    Baked the skin out for the face. Still need to add eyes and all the other stuff.

Used Texturing XYZ for some of the facial details. I also found out i'm pretty garbage at painting skin to be realistic.

I also ran into a big issue with zbrush. Somehow my project became too large or had too many tools in the ztool so I was unable to load any of my ZPR's. Thankfully I had been pumping out the high poly parts into marmoset so I only lost about 5-10% of the stuff I was working on. Still sucks though...
  • samnwck