Home Featured Artwork

[FINISHED] Dishonored 2 bust

Replies

• Ouran
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ouran greentooth
    Hey @OtterBlotter ! Thanks for the kind words, means a lot to me :)

I brought the skin diffuse 90% of the way with standard polypainting in ZBrush. After that, I tweaked it a bit in Photoshop and Substance Painter. For the roughness map, I did it in Photoshop using composits of a Cavity map and a Displacement map (baked in ZBrush). If I were to redo it all again, I'd try doing it entirely in Painter following Magdalena Dadela's workflow.Hope that helps :)

I was going to wait a bit more but... Update time!

Here's the current status in Marmoset. I'd say it's almost there but I'll probably do a polish phase once I'm done with the hair.

Speaking of hair, I've joined Adam Skutt's GAI class and got started covering that bald head! Here's a quick first pass, still super WIP using only one strand texture made in XGen. It's a really fun process overall but super time consuming.

• Ouran
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ouran greentooth
    A couple more hair screenshots as I start setting this up properly in marmoset. The number of cards is quite limited for now and will probably double at the very least.

• Rav3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rav3 interpolator
    Super awesome head! Followed your progress really cool!
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    You are really nailing the style, great job
  • BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    Awesome job man!
  • Nuclear Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nuclear Angel polycounter
    He is coming along nicely, great job!
  • KieranMcKay
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KieranMcKay polycounter lvl 2
    Woah this is looking great! Awesome work
  • Pav3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pav3d insane polycounter
    Looking really good! :smile:
  • Ouran
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ouran greentooth
    Thanks a lot guys, really glad you dig it :)

Unfortunately I woke up to a computer that refused to boot this morning. Might take a few days of fixing before I can get back to this bust :/ The good part is the files were not stored on it so the project is safe.
  • DMacDraws
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DMacDraws polycounter lvl 7
    Man this looks great. I dont know if i'm reading it right but it kinda looks like the surface is pretty smooth but the pores and details are more in the gloss map. Such a nice way to add detail but keep it stylised.

Also he's kinda like Junkrat in real life mixed with a model :)
  • kreativbloc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kreativbloc polycounter lvl 3
    That's looking really good man. Keep it up.
  • Asura
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asura greentooth
    This is looking solid! i love the skin's hue and the slight shifts. 
  • andrelopes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    andrelopes polycounter lvl 6
    This is very good :smiley:
    When you say, "joining Adam Skutt Gai class", you mean the hair for games? Do you like it?
  • Ouran
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ouran greentooth
    @DMacDrawsThanks! Actually the surface details like pores are in the normal map as well. I'm not doing anything particular compared to a standard "realisitc" workflow.
    @kreativbloc Thanks you!
    @Asura Thanks Asura! I guess it's one of the cool things with the Dishonored art direction. I'm planning to add a little more colour break ups when I go and do a final pass on the skin at the end.
    @andrelopes Cheers! Yes I joined the hair for games class. It's a really solid course and I learned a lot. Definitely recommend it.

I decided to take a break from the hair (sort of) and start tackling the eyebrows and eyelashes. These are incredibly tedious which makes me wonder if my approach is ineffcient (placing cards for hours long). However, I'm starting to get some results so I guess I'll just keep going :) For eyelashes, I just did one row of them to test the process. I like where it's going but I think I'm going to add a lot more individual hairs to make some of the clumps thicker because they are barely visible even in close ups.

• nastobi123
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nastobi123 polycounter lvl 8
    holy shit this is amazing man ! 
  • volaille
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    volaille polycounter lvl 12
    I love the skin ! but the hair looks a little noisy ... other than that it's an awesome job !
  • leopenaranda
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is looking great man!, are you planning on making a break down on how you did the hair :) ? that would be awesome!
  • hectorsdors
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hectorsdors greentooth
    Love the appeal and how it's looking, GREAT job!!!! 
    Perhaps, I would pay some attention to this areas, look too dark where the hair merge with the skin. Maybe make darker the skin on these areas, just with an AO or just play with the alpha on this hair cards.

Love the sculpt you made! :D
  • Ouran
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ouran greentooth
    @nastobi123 Thanks man!
    @volaille Agree with you. I'm not sure what is causing this exactly but I believe it might be the resolution I'm taking screenshots at which is making the dither transparency noisy
    @leopnaranda Thanks buddy! I'll do a full breakdown for the character once I'm done :)
    @hectorsdors Thanks a lot dude! The whole haircap is placeholder and I will iterate on it once I have placed cards on the temples and defined the hairline in that area. Hopefully that should fix this issue!

Played a bit more with the eyelashes and decided to go for blonde lashes as it suits the weirdness of the character quite well. They're not 100% there yet but I'll now move to the hair on the temples in order to get a better feeling for the finished piece asap.

• Biqz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Biqz greentooth
    Such a great job here. Can't wait to leave a like at the end :smile: .

• Scythe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Scythe greentooth
    Hey, looking real nice there! Good job. The only thing I find oddly distracting is the skin's roughness. You might want to either detail it a bit more or just tone it down a tad!
    Can't wait for more

• Nuclear Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Ouran you have done a great job so far, but personally I feel the style on the tiniest hair details and the rest of your character does not match well. The zoomed in screenshot is what I am mostly referring to. As the level of details on the eyelashes and the eyebrows are way higher than the skin complexity, and even the facial secondary details. And when compared to the clothing it looks like two different styles entirely in my opinion. Maybe if you made each strand a little bigger and make them have the same chunky feeling as the rest it could work with your current hair cards? It is all my opinion though and I might be totally wrong when it is all pulled together. Keep it up man! 
  • Ouran
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ouran greentooth
    @Biqz Thank you :) You have no idea how much I can't wait to be ther too!

@Scythe Thank for your feedback Scythe. I'll give a last round of tweaking to these sliders when I have my final lighting setup. I wanted to go for a slightly sweaty look but I'm not sure it works as intended on the super close up screenshots.

@Nuclear Angel Hey thanks for your feedback! This is something that has been bothering me as well. It's not a deal breaker for me right now so I won't redo the eyelashes/eyebrows because I want to finish this project asap. However, I do think there's room for revisiting this aspect one day and going for a more stylized look to the hair.

Talking of hair... I haven't updated this for a while so here's the current status. I redid the scalp and worked mainly on the hair on the temples. Also rerendered the textures to have nicer colors. There's still a few things to be done, especially regarding the transition from the long hair strands to the scalp but the end is in sight! :)

• Ouran
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ouran greentooth
    Hey Polycounters!

Here is the final version of the bust. Definitely learned a lot on this one and can't thank enough the people who were kind enough to offer their feedback. In the weeks to come I'm planning to make more renders with different moods as well as a couple of breakdowns to show my process.

There's a bunch more images on my Arstation: https://www.artstation.com/artwork/1G0Gq

Cheers :)

• Nuclear Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    He turned out really nice! =) Good job man
  • Ouran
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ouran greentooth
    @Nuclear Angel Thanks Victor, much appreciated :)
  • Ouran
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ouran greentooth
    I've got some feedback from some friends so I went back and did a couple of tweaks to the textures and revisited the lighting. Also, I made a couple of breakdowns to explain the low poly hair process as well as how I made the tattoo texture.

I should also mention once more that I took a class on hair with Adam Skutt and that the workflow I'm sharing here is by no means as in depth as what students learn in his class. If you're interested in learning more about it, I'd recommend you take his class. One more resource I learned a lot from, Tarkan Sarim's XGen patreon which is a gold mine of knowledge on hair.

• johanflod
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    johanflod polycounter lvl 7
    Looks super cool! Thanks for breaking down the work process for us. 
  • Sunray
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sunray polycounter lvl 7
    Looks amazing man! I love the tattoo the only thing that I think you could have done better is maybe make the tip of the ears a bit thiner. but besides that she loks awesome.

I was also wondering if you ran into any specular problems when rendering hair card with the alhair shader. for some reason half off all my hair cards are ignoring specular.
  • Ouran
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ouran greentooth
    @johanflod Thanks! My pleasure :)

@Sunray I Thanks a lot man. Yes I have run in that problem and the only solution I found was to render with a perspective camera with a very high focal length. For some reason this issue seems to come from orthographic cameras. However it's inconsistent and I've had times where the ortho cam would work, I'd restart my computer and then it wouldn't work anymore. So yeah, just setup a perspective cam that will give you almost the same result as a front facing ortho cam.
  • Sunray
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sunray polycounter lvl 7
  • Ouran
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ouran greentooth
    Here's two more breakdown sheets showing a couple of textures as well as the wireframe. I'm now done with this :)

• Alena
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alena polycounter lvl 3
    Great work ! Thanks for very handy breakdowns. Btw if you use topology brush and before you apply it, you make you the draw size = 1, your topology mesh won't have thickness ;) 
  • Ouran
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ouran greentooth
    @Alena Thank you! Didn't know this, good to know :)
  • floon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    floon greentooth
    Oh wow!
    Last time visited this thread, you were still in the sculpting phase. The character turned out great!
    Also thank you for going through the trouble of creating all these breakdowns.
  • Ouran
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ouran greentooth
    Cheers! Hope it's useful.
  • Felixenfeu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Felixenfeu polycounter lvl 10
    Definitely fits the style of the game. Good work :)
  • Ouran
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ouran greentooth
    @Felixenfeu Thanks Felix! Really dig your 3d experimental stuff by the way!
  • kanga
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage
    Thanks for the breakdown! Terrific work BTW.