Home Career & Education

How would you rate your game art skill level?

polycounter lvl 13
Offline / Send Message
BradleyWascher polycounter lvl 13
I've been on polycount for a good while now and I was just curious where people feel like they fall in terms of their skills. I understand this is highly subjective and not a true scientific test. Being able to see what other artists think about their skills might spark some conversations about how to improve or help like minded skilled people build a stronger sense that others are just like them and can possibility share ideas about how to improve your skill level. 

What was the moment that you felt you bumped up your skill level? Or what did you feel you had to learn or become great at to improve? 

Replies

• Melazee
    Offline / Send Message
    Melazee polycounter lvl 11
    Inconsistent - Basics skills / Minor issues in quality
    See, I can never tell because I naturally have a really low opinion of my own artwork. I really don't know. I think my personal artwork is all over the shot as I just make whatever the heck I feel like making rather than gearing it towards anything in particular. My rendering skills are pretty bad too... I think.

I just don't know D:

So as a result, I picked the answer that I did because of the inconsistency aspect. I think I just need to make more stuff really, as I am finally beginning to knuckle down on a style I like.
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    Capable - Solid skills / Reliable quality
    Someone pays me, so I must be at least alright.

We gon' be alright.

Can you hear me, can you feel me, we gon' be alright.
  • JordanN
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanN interpolator
    My answer is somewhat different, because it's very dependent on being a "chicken or the egg".
    You have to post art and people judge you off that, but I never saw my art as representing my skills but rather, my ideas.

A recent example is when I made a thread with some PS1 screenshots. I don't actually rate myself as only capable of 500 triangles. I just really liked the Playstation 1 as a console.

If I want to make something above that, it's because I've came up with a game or story that feels more appropriate. Something I'm doing now with an upcoming game that uses a lot of high resolution models.
  • Mark Dygert
    Artists are always their own worst critic. Those that aren't, usually aren't that good.
  • Kevin Albers
    Offline / Send Message
    Kevin Albers polycounter lvl 18
    Excellent - Expert skills / Consistent AAA art quality
    I think 'consistent AAA quality' is a bit overblown. I've seen tons of 'just ok' assets in AAA games, and worked with plenty of 'not exactly amazing' AAA artists.

When I'm unemployed, it seems like the world is full of badass artists much better than me. When I'm employed (at AAA studios), everyone in the art team seems to feel that it's hard to get decent artists, and I find myself wishing that we could just get a few more people with my level of skill.

Or, put another way, I find good portfolio pieces to generally be higher in quality than most assets in AAA games. 
  • low odor
    Offline / Send Message
    low odor polycounter lvl 17
    Unacceptable - Beginner skills / Large issues in quality
    never gonna make it ;(
  • AGoodFella
    Offline / Send Message
    AGoodFella polycounter lvl 5
    Inconsistent, definitely. I hardly ever like my own work and sometimes it's not an abomination and sometimes it's just ok. My skills don't quite match my ambition just yet...
  • Biomag
    Offline / Send Message
    Biomag sublime tool
    Simply not good enough to do the job I want :D
  • Soily26
    Offline / Send Message
    Soily26 polycounter lvl 6
    Like others have said I'm my own worst critic so I always want to rate myself low but I'd rate myself fairly avarage.
    I like feeling just okay because it drives me to want to learn more. Maybe one day I'll be supreme :smiley:
  • Progg
    Offline / Send Message
    Progg polycounter lvl 11
    I think 'consistent AAA quality' is a bit overblown. I've seen tons of 'just ok' assets in AAA games, and worked with plenty of 'not exactly amazing' AAA artists.

When I'm unemployed, it seems like the world is full of badass artists much better than me. When I'm employed (at AAA studios), everyone in the art team seems to feel that it's hard to get decent artists, and I find myself wishing that we could just get a few more people with my level of skill.

Or, put another way, I find good portfolio pieces to generally be higher in quality than most assets in AAA games. 
    A lot of that is just from the nature of how AAA development works. I'm sure you're quite aware how sacrifices have to be made for the good of the project, in some cases having to rush assets or find shortcuts to get the desired product as quick and as efficient as possible. When you're working on your own portfolio pieces it's much easier to go all out on an asset or texture since you dont really have to worry about the budgets or tech limitations of the project. If everyone on the team tried to polish every asset to perfection you'd realistically never get anything done.

I think it's more about being disciplined enough to know where you hit that point of diminishing returns and having the experience to call it there and move on. 

It's always weird to judge your own worth without making yourself seem prideful. I think that humble quality is what makes artists continue to grow and get better. That said, there is a point in your career where you begin to lead others on the team and start to have the confidence in your own abilities to know that you generally make the right calls most of the time.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Whoever voted themselves Supreme... haha
  • Michael Knubben
    JordanN said:
    *stuff*
    Wait, you did some PS1 stuff? Why didn't you ever bring that up before?
  • Magihat
    Offline / Send Message
    Magihat ngon master
    Inconsistent really is a word that describes my "art" very well. I could never get the jobs I would want with the scattershot quality level I currently possess. There really is little in what I do that would potentially inspire someone else, it's all very derivative and lacking when it comes to artistic as well as technical execution. Working my way up there but even generously speaking it is years away at this pace, really need to start cracking the whip over my back with more ferocity. 
  • lotet
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    I feel like most professionals are gonna go for "consistant". its not over-confident, but at the same time not selling yourself short.

personally I know that If i start considering myself "good" Im gonna stop trying to improve that very second, so Im stying as far away from being confident as possible =P
  • fdfxd2
    Offline / Send Message
    fdfxd2 interpolator
    There's nothing I feel I can't do

I can look at a nice artwork and know exactly how they made all details

but I'm too fking lazy to do any of it :/
  • Francois_K
    Offline / Send Message
    Francois_K interpolator
    Supreme - A trend setter in the industry / Skill pushes quality norms to new levels

I've never made anything bad before in my entire life.  B) 
  • Jakob Gavelli
    Offline / Send Message
    Jakob Gavelli interpolator
    I enjoy this being a public poll haha

People pay me for what I do and I get job opportunities consistently, so I've got to be doing something right, right? Please tell me it's so! 

(Instant impostor syndrome after choosing Capable hahah oh the irony)
  • ambershee
    Offline / Send Message
    ambershee polycounter lvl 17
    Where's the category that says 'Programmer' or 'Can barely pick up a pen' :p?
  • Kwramm
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    tech-artist / manager here... I think I can still compete but not on speed. The kids these days are just too damn fast at modeling and texturing...
  • Fansub
    Offline / Send Message
    Fansub sublime tool
    Supreme - A trend setter in the industry / Skill pushes quality norms to new levels
    I'm the new Kim Jung-Un B)

On a more serious note, i'd probably qualify myself as capable on certain tasks, and inconsistent on others. Trying to be good at tech art AND 3d modeling got me kinda "locked" in a "mid-crisis" area, where i'm almost "good" enough at both, but almost is never good enough ofc. Getting around to fixing this by having nice work schedules and balance between 3D and tech art is hard, but i'm working on it !
  • Amsterdam Hilton Hotel
  • Kanni3d
    Offline / Send Message
    Kanni3d ngon master
    Definitely not great. Super critical of my work, own worst critic etc... Though I believe if you worry and acknowledge whats wrong with your art and skills, it must mean you're improving.

I like to think I'm pretty technical with modeling - getting complex shapes to sub-d nice and cleanly, finding the fastest and most efficient way to do things and such. 
  • Kashaar
    Offline / Send Message
    Kashaar polycount sponsor
    I haven't got the first clue what I'm doing so obviously I must rate myself supreme
  • radiancef0rge
    Offline / Send Message
    radiancef0rge ngon master
    I'm almost the best. I know every programming language but Javascript
  • Hazardous
    Offline / Send Message
    Hazardous polycounter lvl 12
    I felt that the heights from which I look down upon everyone else are not accurately represented in these choices. Although far beneath what could hardly describe my skill level, my choice of 'surpeme' will have to suffice.
  • Kwramm
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    I'm almost the best. I know every programming language but Javascript
    I think you may be better off knowing Cobol anyway. Javascript is meh
  • Joao Sapiro
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    plorp
  • JacqueChoi
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    plorp
    lulzwut?

you doof.

;P

I didn't vote, cuz I think I think I somehow fit into a few of those categories.
  • slosh
    Offline / Send Message
    slosh hero character
    Hazardous said:
    I felt that the heights from which I look down upon everyone else are not accurately represented in these choices. Although far beneath what could hardly describe my skill level, my choice of 'surpeme' will have to suffice.
    I think you need a category for "Supreme Leader"
  • Demno
    Offline / Send Message
    Demno polycounter lvl 6
    Supreme! With the ego to back it up. Now hold my beer while Iohgodmywholeworldviewiscrumblingtheyaregonnafindout!
  • Jesse Moody
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    Whoever voted themselves Supreme... haha
    I have no shame.
  • MILA
    Offline / Send Message
    MILA polycounter lvl 8
    Ppl 2 good h3r3
  • RocketBryan
    Offline / Send Message
    RocketBryan polycount sponsor
    I feel like that last category should be Sorcerer Supreme. Or maybe all ice cream flavors.

"How are you at highpoly hard surface?"
    "Eh...'bout sherbet level."
  • BradleyWascher
    Offline / Send Message
    BradleyWascher polycounter lvl 13
    I hope to see more people place "Supreme" now on their LinkedIn skills haha #WhatHaveIDone
  • ArNavart
    Offline / Send Message
    ArNavart polycounter lvl 2
    Always at it's lowest, otherwise I wouldn't see an interest to grow.
  • aryarie
    Offline / Send Message
    aryarie triangle
    Still a beginner... only been modeling for 2 months :P

Have a few 2D skills (though they are pretty beginner level as well), which has helped a bit in the transition to 3D.