Home Technical Talk

GTX 980 problems after Windows 10 update

greentooth
Offline / Send Message
Polyjunky greentooth
Hi 
Just posting here since I've scoured Google, windows and Nvidia forums and I'm hoping someone here might have an idea of what to do.

Windows 10 did its update on the 23rd of April, I restarted and immediately both my monitors start flashing, glitching.
What I've done so far since then: 

• Updated drivers
  • Rolled back drivers
  • Cleaned PC with compressed air
  • System restore
  • Scan Disk/ Check Disk
  • Unseated GPU, cleaned and replaced
  • Tried other PCI slot
  • Swapped cables
The only thing I haven't done is a clean install as I dread having to reinstall everything from scratch! 
It works fine when only one monitor is enabled, doesn't matter which one but as soon as I enable both, the glitching starts again.

If anyone has any ideas, I'd appreciate it.

Cheers.

Replies

• throttlekitty
    Do you have another video card/integrated gpu you can test with? Or try the video card in another computer? This sounds like a hardware problem to me unless many people are reporting the same issue. In lieu of a clean install, you could try a quick test with a bootable linux distro on a usb stick.
  • Polyjunky
    Offline / Send Message
    Polyjunky greentooth
    I have an integrated gpu but the problem seems to be prevalent in Nvidia cards from what I've seen on the Nvidia forums. I'm going to install a clean version of Windows on my other HDD and if the card works OK there I'll know it's definitely the update that caused it. I'll probably go back to Windows 7 after this!
  • Scruples
    Offline / Send Message
    Scruples polycounter lvl 10
    Windows 10 (updated), gtx 980, Intel cpu, driver 376.53, no issues here.
  • Polyjunky
    Offline / Send Message
    Polyjunky greentooth
    Hey Scruples, any idea where I can download this? It's not on the Nvidia site, or anywhere for that matter!
  • mdkai
    Offline / Send Message
    mdkai polycounter lvl 12
    I have a similar problem with my GTX 1080.. honestly i shoul wipe my old upgraded win7 install but ...mehh.

For me it only works with the nvidia driver version 368.81, which is the one it was shipped with. Any other driver after that would cause my card to act glitchy and with a fixed resolution of 1024*768 and some broken Hz rate.

I found no other solution, after testing out almost anything, including wiping the drivers entirely in safe mode..
    Until the next fresh install... 
  • Scruples
    Offline / Send Message
    Scruples polycounter lvl 10
    Polyjunky said:
    Hey Scruples, any idea where I can download this? It's not on the Nvidia site, or anywhere for that matter!
    I looked it up and apparently I have some weird driver forced on people through windows update that is hard to update from, lol. I guess I wouldn't recommend it then.
  • Polyjunky
    Offline / Send Message
    Polyjunky greentooth
    I found the problem. I installed a program called Start 10 last year by Stardock, it helps customise your start menu. I was getting irritated by the tiles so I simplified it. Anyhoo I did a clean boot and when I disabled the service it didn't flicker anymore. Seems it was clashing with the update.
    Looks like I'll have to suffer with the tiles from now on!

Thanks for your help guys.
  • Swordslayer
    Offline / Send Message
    Swordslayer interpolator
    Polyjunky said:
    If you don't like tiles in the startmenu, remove them. After you do that, the menu is quite slim.
  • throttlekitty
    Polyjunky said:
    I found the problem. I installed a program called Start 10 last year by Stardock, it helps customise your start menu. I was getting irritated by the tiles so I simplified it. Anyhoo I did a clean boot and when I disabled the service it didn't flicker anymore. Seems it was clashing with the update.

Thanks for your help guys.
    lol I love it when the resolution is something very left field like that. Nice sleuthing!
  • CreativeSheep
    Offline / Send Message
    CreativeSheep polycounter lvl 8
    Windows10 start menu is beautiful; I love it; improvement over Windows 8.0 and I installed Windows 8.0 the day it was officially released.Unless you've used Windows 3.1 maybe you can't enjoy Windows10.
  • Polyjunky
    Offline / Send Message
    Polyjunky greentooth
    Windows10 start menu is beautiful; I love it; improvement over Windows 8.0 and I installed Windows 8.0 the day it was officially released.Unless you've used Windows 3.1 maybe you can't enjoy Windows10.
    I never used Windows 8. I heard it was horrendous. :)