Home Technical Talk

How can I build BMW 750iL in Fusion 360 ? I need guidance

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
krasenmaximov polycounter lvl 7
 Hi, I am new to Fusion 360 , I am new to modeling but Im also committed.

So I gave myself a difficult project to execute, basically to model a BMW 750iL from 1996 with custom Billet GS47 chrome rims. Its a sharp and edgy car, my questions gravitate around how to start, what technique would you use, any tutorials recommended for the specific task, something particular to learn about the program that will ease the workflow,basically anything you would recommend? 

You can contact me on facebook if you so desire : 
https://www.facebook.com/krasen.maximov.75

Pictures of the exact car:

Replies

• Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    if you chose a very dificult project you cant expect people to spoon feed you all the way. Try first . And if you dont think you have the skill yet just make simple stuff first. Way less frustration and you will learn much more instead of procrastinating searching for tuts etc
  • krasenmaximov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    if you chose a very dificult project you cant expect people to spoon feed you all the way. Try first . And if you dont think you have the skill yet just make simple stuff first. Way less frustration and you will learn much more instead of procrastinating searching for tuts etc

I see.  Thanks for the reply.
  • throttlekitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    There's still a lot of parts of a car you can cut your teeth on. Try finding an efficient way to do the rims, or do the dash/console, getting all the slopes right.
  • musashidan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    musashidan high dynamic range
    I appreciate your enthusiasm but I'd learn some basics first to avoid frustration. For the main body itself I'd start with the mesh tools. It's like sub-d modeling with nurbs/t-splines and is great for curved surfaces. Then you can convert to a solid and use the boolean/filleting tools for lights, wheel arches, etc. 
  • krasenmaximov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I appreciate your enthusiasm but I'd learn some basics first to avoid frustration. For the main body itself I'd start with the mesh tools. It's like sub-d modeling with nurbs/t-splines and is great for curved surfaces. Then you can convert to a solid and use the boolean/filleting tools for lights, wheel arches, etc. 
    musashidan, Thank you for the reply. This approach sounds safer than what I did, which is to create and extrude faces.
  • krasenmaximov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    There's still a lot of parts of a car you can cut your teeth on. Try finding an efficient way to do the rims, or do the dash/console, getting all the slopes right.
    Im now more concerned about the bumper and the lights
  • throttlekitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Im now more concerned about the bumper and the lights
    Why, what did they do to you?
  • krasenmaximov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Why, what did they do to you?

Well normally I would start with modeling the sideview, then the bumper ect. In this case the rims look intimidating as hell so I will leave them for the final round.
  • musashidan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    musashidan high dynamic range
    The rims would actually be simple with the circular array tool. As I said, learn the basics.
  • krasenmaximov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    perna said:
    You should absolutely pick another project.

There exists no technique to model a car, or a bike, or a weapon, and so on. What you learn is to model small individual parts which present different technical challenges. Any larger object you work on is simply a collection of lots of these smaller challenges. Do the beginner's tutorials and learn in a slow and careful way like everyone else had to.

A lot of artists look for shortcuts, but after almost 20 years doing this, let me tell you that those artists rarely if ever become any good.

And yes, for this model the rims are probably the easiest part by far. "Lots of detail" is rarely an indicator of complexity.
     Thanks for the longer reply. Hm, ok. I will do easier projects and the BMW along with them.
  • LaurentiuN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LaurentiuN interpolator
    And another thing, if you want to use nurbs to model a car i recommend Alias or Rhino, Fusion 360 is more like for concept cars. Good luck!
  • krasenmaximov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    s1dK said:
    And another thing, if you want to use nurbs to model a car i recommend Alias or Rhino, Fusion 360 is more like for concept cars. Good luck!

Huge thanks for the software suggestion. I'll deffinately try the 750iL on Alias.