Home General Discussion

Popularity of Game Engines: What happened to CryEngine?

R3D
interpolator
Offline / Send Message
R3D interpolator
TL;DR: Why don't more people use CryEngine when compared to UE4 or Unity. Documentation? Or did they simply miss the ball when Unreal Engine and Unity came around?

---

You don't hear much from Crytek these days outside of trade shows, and there was that whole confusion with Lumberyard.

First of all I'm not saying CryEngine is dead, far from it as more and more games are released each year by a number of developers. But it seem that for all the features it boasts, and how much it's evolved over the past years, it's community has largely remained quite small. 

A couple years ago CryEngine was really at the forefront of graphical fidelity in games, boasting real time radiosity solutions, SSAO and AA before UDK, Unity and UE4 were able to support it, come close, but never quite as clean and nice. Obviously a game engine isn't only about the graphics options and features. CryEngine really missed the beat when they initially launched to the public, keeping their licensing on a per-project basis where you had to deal directly through them instead of the more layman-friendly Unity which allowed for a one time purchase and UDK/UE4 for their royalty structure. The same can be shown for Valve's own Source engine, once ModDB was flooded with new an exciting Source mods, but as Unity and UDK became more inviting, transformed into IndieDB with more and more stand alone games coming into fruition.

Communities began to develop wikis and documentations updated, CryEngine was left in the dust as Unity and Epic expanded further, now also supporting these budding communities with art challenges, user-made animations, and monetary incentive.

Even the technical forums on Polycount are now Unity or UE4 related, showing a lack of users, a lack of a larger broad community able to propel the CryEngine forward.

So why is it that today, you don't use CryEngine? And if you do, why do you think it's community isn't as large as Unity or Unreal 4?

Replies

• defragger
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    defragger sublime tool
    IMHO CryEngine was to complicated for most indie games. I heard something about the engine devs working at cloud imperium now after the crytek crisis when they apparently couldnt even pay most of their staff anymore.

Didnt amazon buy the whole thing in the end? But it wont be the same without the devs.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    My reasons for not using CryEngine:

1. Not artist friendly or flexible. 

2. Poor documentation and community support.

3. Financial woes, who knows if CryEngine and Crytek will be around in 5 years.

4. Not widely used, much more likely to end up at a studio using Unreal Engine or Unity over CryEngine

• Joopson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    I've used it for portfolio projects, and for a while I had a good handle on it, from an art perspective. But like ZacD says, it's not used by many studios, and then the beauty that is UE4 came out, so I just kind of stopped using it.

I still have a softspot for it, but just haven't used it since UE4 was released.
  • JordanN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanN interpolator
    Epic Games had the better marketing. They saw the next gen consoles were coming and they joined the hype machine by showing off their Samaritan and the Elemental tech demos. As well as they extended their reach within the community by making their engine go free first, and they improved their relations with Japanese developers who now made it their go to engine for PS4/XBO/PC development (and more recently, Nintendo Switch).

Crytek's support was much more nuanced. Once Crysis was out of the spotlight, what was left to get excited for? There was Ryse, which was definitely impressive at release but it wasn't enough to keep the focus on Cryengine itself.

I believe Crytek could have had a chance if they continued to pioneer their lighting tech. From what I remember, Cryengine had one advantage over all other engines in that it was farther ahead in real time global illumination. This was especially true when UE4 initially opted for a real time GI system but dropped it in favor of the pre-baked solution which disappointed a lot of people (including me). I also remember reading on the UE4 forums that foliage looked and performed better on Cryengine than in Unreal.
  • cptSwing
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cptSwing polycounter lvl 11
    Material Editor.
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    Crytek seemed like a bad choice for developments that weren't targeting the latest supercomputers. 

They were several years behind for consoles at which point they lost out on a significant part of the market to Unreal, and completely missed out on indies and mobile targeted by Unity.

Also their engine is now pretty much free via Amazon Lumberyard.
    https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2016/02/09/amazon-lumberyard-cryengine-twitch/
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    Lumberyard is rebranded though. I think the whole Crytek not paying their employees thing put a lot of doubt into developers who were looking to use their engine. I certainly wouldn't put my trust in them if I were deciding on an engine to use for a game. I think a lot of people would agree.  

Why aren't people using lumberyard? I'm guessing marketing? I rarely see anything on it. 

• JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    Well considering how entrenched Unity and Unreal are at this point, why would anyone want to switch?

I think lumberyard is playing a hefty dose of catch-up. They would need to contribute something significantly disruptive at this point to capture any market share this late.
  • Aabel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Aabel polycounter lvl 6
    Was stupidly difficult to develop on compared to the competition. Pretty renders sure, but that only goes so far.
  • Tekoppar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tekoppar polycounter lvl 10
    I use Unreal Engine 4 for a single reason, blueprints. I can actually make a game, it's amazing.
  • Progg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Progg polycounter lvl 11
    Blueprints were pretty gamechanging
  • Kraftwerk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kraftwerk polycounter lvl 18
    I tried to mess with it several times but every time i already have SERIOUS trouble to get my own meshes into the engine, with Unreal this was never a problem you always had a working exporter for whatever 3D package and with CryEngine it was either use 3D Studio Max or GTFO the Maya exporter NEVER worked for me. These days even CryEngine support FBX but that step comes years to late and besides it doesn't really work either.
  • Revolutionart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Revolutionart polycounter lvl 10
    Kraftwerk said:
    These days even CryEngine support FBX but that step comes years to late and besides it doesn't really work either.
    Honestly the FBX importer works fine:
  • Joopson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    Also their engine is now pretty much free via Amazon Lumberyard.
    https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2016/02/09/amazon-lumberyard-cryengine-twitch/
    But.... Cryengine is also free these days.
  • sziada
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sziada polycounter lvl 11
    As everyone has stated they are playing catchup, Unreal is ahead of the game because they take devs feedback and make them part of the process for improving their tech.

I was thinking about learning Cry Engine, but the learning curve is way grander compared to unity and Unreal, which makes it unappealing to me and I think many other artists.

Don't get me wrong there is some great tech behind it, but the issue is they are not catering to what the market is asking for as well as the competition or offering anything substantially different from everyone else at this point in time.

they either have to come out of the gates with something game changing or they are going to flop further. 

• HeadClot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HeadClot polycounter lvl 9
    Hey Everyone - I just want to clear up a bit of misinformation that is going on about Cryengine.

First off let me preface it with this - I am super excited for Cryengine's next two major releases. Which includes allot of really nice Improvements and features. I am not an employee of Crytek.

But first why I am excited -

They are adding a new Visual Scripting system called Schematyc. It is similar to UE4's blueprint system.There is a new material editor that is being worked on for the 5.5 release. I do not know much about this.
    Mobile support for CryEngine is happening. This makes me really happy as it means we will see general optimizations to the render pipeline and toolset. Which will benefit desktop and console.

This is just a small sampling of what is coming more can be found here.
    Revolutionart said there is a FBX importer and it works. It has been there for a while as well.

That bit said - To answer R3D's Question. CryEngine does not have a very large community. Most of us CryEngine users are on slack which is why the forums seem like a ghost town at times. This is mostly because of early issues of the Cryengine FreeSDK being complex as all hell and it sucking. This is not the FreeSDK.
  • ambershee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ambershee polycounter lvl 17
    JordanN said:
    Epic Games had the better marketing.
    I don't think this is really fair - they had the better product and they established it years before CryTek even got into the engine licensing business. The Unreal Engine was quite successful, Unreal Engine 2 had many licensees (and many high profile releases) and supported consoles, and when it came to it Unreal Engine 3 was light years ahead of CryEngine back in ~2005/2006 when developers were looking for engines for their new multiplaform games - resulting in hundreds of licensees. Unreal Engine 4 is just the modern tail-end of a long history.

CryEngine had it's place, namely it had excellent real-time foliage, dynamic lighting and half-decent terrain tools - but the rest of the toolset just isn't that great to work with, and it's just not the best choice for games that don't need it's specific strengths.
  • thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    ambershee said:
    they established it years before CryTek even got into the engine licensing business. The Unreal Engine was quite successful, Unreal Engine 2 had many licensees (and many high profile releases) and supported consoles, and when it came to it Unreal Engine 3 was light years ahead of CryEngine back in ~2005/2006 when developers were looking for engines for their new multiplaform games - resulting in hundreds of licensees. Unreal Engine 4 is just the modern tail-end of a long history.

full ack. unreal engine was already big in the early 2000's with numerous licensees and a community on UDN plus tons of mod/hobby-projects based on what shipped with commercial games before crytek even released their first title. this isn't some situation that developed recently.

not rating any of these engines, mind. never done the comparison myself.

• claydough
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    claydough polycounter lvl 10
    Kinda get the same feeling about Unity at times when it is treated like some relatively new development...
    It seemed like a lot of years of poking around Unity wishing there was a windows version till that happened around 2010
    ( almost 5 years before it even exploded on windows. Tho Mac fans may argue that it was exploded when it was MAC only I guess? Either way, It's been around years before the first Crysis game. I remember going to some IGDA meeting Post Mortem demo because of the environment wow factor for far cry back in the day? But I don't know if that tech could be considered a real precursor to cryengine? )

But modding for Cryengine was of interest pretty fast?
    And as far as I am concerned Cryengine and Lumberyard are far from irrelevant? Haven't touched as much in years but considering my eye wanders and I have peek at least once every other month if not every other week to see what's brewing...
    If they ever had an assault of full time including development/reference competing week after blog worthy week...
    I could easily jump the UE4 ship in a heartbeat.
  • Chimp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chimp interpolator
    So why is it that today, you don't use CryEngine? And if you do, why do you think it's community isn't as large as Unity or Unreal 4?
    Cos i have no idea whether crytek are in money trouble, or working on anything, and engine wise a lot of it is available from a company that are totally stable. I don't really even know what happened to Crytek over the last few years but it doesnt inspire trust. Beyond that, AAA don't seem to go with it, and as such it doesnt feel road tested. It may well be technically capable of great things but I have no idea of what a small team can do with it, I've not seen anything high quality done in it.

On top of that, the last cryengine game I played, star citizen, has the worst experience i've ever seen in terms of its build quality (amazing artwork aside). jittering through walls, falling through my ship, stuttering all the time presumably loading stuff, really terrible reliability in interacting with objects in the world, and the worst fps cam/movement i've ever seen. every 2 minutes it locks up so i cant even rotate left. My hate for root motion fps aside, it's just really shoddy and jittery and I dont know why. It's not hard to make. and overall terrible performance for what isnt actually that much visually.
    Now, that game has an insanely high budget and they're fucking up real basic things - I cant imagine their staff are clueless morons, they surely arent, so working with the engine must be terrible. It's still just as bad on the lumberyard side too.
  • sprunghunt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sprunghunt polycounter
    For years crytek wouldn't even give out a demo of the level editor without signing an expensive licencing deal. Unreal and Unity both were free demos. 

This strategy was unwise. 
  • ambershee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    claydough said:
    But modding for Cryengine was of interest pretty fast?

Not really - back in the day when it was a competition between Half-Life 2, UT2004, Doom 3 and Far Cry, one of these engines put out the most half-baked and useless SDK I've ever seen - no code support, couldn't import mesh assets, just limited scripts and textures.

Guess which engine that was.
  • claydough
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    claydough polycounter lvl 10
    yea true...
    It had the least tuts I guess to? And to be fair I never followed what the modders were actually doing with it back then. I was just surprised that as much was possible so quickly.

Yep Valve did a lot better with Half Life 2 in consideration for open source dev back then!
    ( considering the engine was stolen n released so quickly! :)
    I remember that even made the national news when it was pirated! )
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    High system requirements, poor documentation, nonexistent developer community, financial instability, getting your hands on the engine was an exercise in futility for a really long time.

I don't have high hopes for Amazons offshoot, Lumberyard.
  • Mstankow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mstankow polycounter lvl 11
    Chimp said:
    Cos i have no idea whether crytek are in money trouble, or working on anything, and engine wise a lot of it is available from a company that are totally stable. I don't really even know what happened to Crytek over the last few years but it doesnt inspire trust. Beyond that, AAA don't seem to go with it, and as such it doesnt feel road tested. It may well be technically capable of great things but I have no idea of what a small team can do with it, I've not seen anything high quality done in it.

On top of that, the last cryengine game I played, star citizen, has the worst experience i've ever seen in terms of its build quality (amazing artwork aside). jittering through walls, falling through my ship, stuttering all the time presumably loading stuff, really terrible reliability in interacting with objects in the world, and the worst fps cam/movement i've ever seen. every 2 minutes it locks up so i cant even rotate left. My hate for root motion fps aside, it's just really shoddy and jittery and I dont know why. It's not hard to make. and overall terrible performance for what isnt actually that much visually.
    Now, that game has an insanely high budget and they're fucking up real basic things - I cant imagine their staff are clueless morons, they surely arent, so working with the engine must be terrible. It's still just as bad on the lumberyard side too.
    Star Citizen has switched development to Lumberyard.
  • ambershee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    claydough said:
    yea true...
    It had the least tuts I guess to? And to be fair I never followed what the modders were actually doing with it back then. I was just surprised that as much was possible so quickly.

Yep Valve did a lot better with Half Life 2 in consideration for open source dev back then!
    ( considering the engine was stolen n released so quickly! :)
    I remember that even made the national news when it was pirated! )
    There wasn't any documentation outside of what the community generated for other community members - but to be honest this wasn't entirely unusual back then. Crytek did eventually release a better SDK for Far Cry, but it took a long time, and I suspect by then most others had already moved on.
  • Shrike
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shrike interpolator
    Crytek is sadly pretty oblivious
    Aside of the mentioned 'issues' with Cryengine (all engines have their downs and ups) they missed out on a big opportunity:

A: The big sandbox shooter franchise with a lot of fans + A new multiplayer FPS 
    B: A  perfectly usable 3D engine said shooter franchises were made with

Now logical conclusion would have been;
    C: Mod or at least Mapping tools and support for Warface (+Crysis 3) - leading to a new generation getting accustomed with Cryengine and adding value to the existing games, the new users Cryengine desperately needed and that could also have pushed warface or Crysis to new heights. Sure, mod support is a lot of work, but come on, you make the engine and the game how can anyone not see the connection. 

Also they really would have needed a asset store and less strict implementations. 
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    Well considering how entrenched Unity and Unreal are at this point, why would anyone want to switch?
    with Lumberyard I can understand it. If you grew up with CryEngine (maybe your studio chose it at one time), then this might be the next step. But then there are engines like Autodesk's Stingray... who uses that? I don't have hard numbers, but the little buzz created by Lumberyard is like a roar compared to whatever you hear about Stingray.
  • Chimp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chimp interpolator
    Mstankow said:
    Chimp said:

Star Citizen has switched development to Lumberyard.
    yeah i know, i played it both on cryengine and on lumberyard and it's terrible still. makes sense to me they switched for the same reason i said above - the same tech is available from a company that can support them way better and seems to have a future. 

Point being with SC though, they have huge money and their results are still jerky and shitty as fuck - i cant imagine they're shit so the engine must be a pain.
  • defragger
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    defragger sublime tool
    @Chimp: they had huge money ...
  • Chimp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chimp interpolator
    Where did it go? spent it all on youtube talk shows instead of fixing their shitty character controller? god it's really got my tits in a twist, I'd almost offensive given the history of the project and it's budget.
  • Mstankow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mstankow polycounter lvl 11
    I wouldn't blame Cryengine on the reason why they went through so much money. Star Citizen is feature creep city and I imagine they have really nasty overhead costs.
  • Haytch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Haytch polycounter lvl 9
    Star Citizen is using the Cryengine, it's not part of crytek, and they modified it heavily to have any good outcome from it. Cryengine was my feature engine for many years and for my portfolio, but i feel it limits artists, it's super complicated to get characters in and setup properly, a game I worked on at a previous studio didn't have any NPC's because we couldn't figure out how to actually get the animations on to them!, the UI is pretty good but most of it is deprecated and outdated, the best features were stripped out, the road tool is pretty good but the river tool doesn't allow for downhill flowing, so you have to mess about with it, basically cryengine was built for foliage and terrain, not characters and cities, They limit level size to 4K but don't give you any work arounds for open world/level streaming games, so you're pretty much limited to what you can and can't do. Unreal gives you full freedom, Cryengine doesn't let you have instanced materials (which I've found super useful over the past few weeks)...

All in all cryengine is more of a Realtime portfolio engine than a game engine, the Devs aren't really super friendly and they're mostly obnoxious, not to mention they don't even treat their employee's that nice.

I moved to unreal because it allows you to have more control over what you're actually making, no messing about its all straight in front of you. you go on crydev forum and ask how to create an area box that generates modular building pieces, 9 times out of 10 you'll be laughed at and the explanation will be 'it takes to long so no point' there's no helpful community and it's pretty much a free for all now!

Rant over :D lol I did used to love cryengine though.
  • Ramseus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ramseus polycounter lvl 13
    Doesn't Lumberyard come with restrictions about having to use Amazon Web Services? I mean, there's a reason they spent so much money in the first place only to give away the engine for free.
  • mats effect
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    In my own experience Cryegine had better real time lighting set up for outdoors, Unreal was better at pretty much everything else. It sucks because I do like Cry Engine a lot but the usability and support network of unreal is just so much better.  
  • seth.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seth. polycounter lvl 14
    in regard to the OP question:
    Nothing happened to cryengine, that was the problem, everything else got better.