Home Animation Showcase & Critiques

Zimuus POV Animation Thread

polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
Zimuus polycounter lvl 3
I have been practising 3D for a little bit now (I had a good amount of experience in 2D animation before it) but being self-taught I don't really have many sources of feedback. Hopefully this is the right place for me :)

Here is an ordered list, oldest to newest:
MP40
AR15
Doom Double Barrel

Replies

• Arturow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Arturow polycounter
    Hello Zimuus!

Nice animations! the only thing that I see is that they are a little slow. The time it takes to reload is too much talking about gameplay but if you wanted to have that realism is perfect I think :) just my opinion

And because they are a little slow they lack that force/punch/strength you see in the typical FPS game.
    Awesome work :)

Here is an example from call of duty :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3D_ugbFUnZ0

• Zimuus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zimuus polycounter lvl 3
    Thank you! I am always finding myself making them too slow, do you think that simply just speeding up the rendered clip would be effective or is it something I have to do while animating it?
  • Arturow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Arturow polycounter
    Honestly I don't know lol , never did a reload animation in fps :P but you could try to see how it looks speeding it up :)! good luck!
  • Rmunday
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rmunday polycounter lvl 9
    As others have said they could do with been sped up. Realism is possible, slow methodical reloads but a lot more movement is needed to sell it. I would recommend "MrBrightSide" on Youtube. He does live streams of him animating FPS anims, I picked up a lot of tricks watching his stuff. He works almost solely in the graph editor but do whatever is comfortable with you.

To speed them up I would try scale the entire animation down first. If that doesn't look right look at parts of the animation that would make sense to be faster and scale those regions of keys. If you have lots of keys it can be a pain but can get some decent results if you tinker enough.
  • Zimuus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zimuus polycounter lvl 3
    Rmunday said:
    As others have said they could do with been sped up. Realism is possible, slow methodical reloads but a lot more movement is needed to sell it. I would recommend "MrBrightSide" on Youtube. He does live streams of him animating FPS anims, I picked up a lot of tricks watching his stuff. He works almost solely in the graph editor but do whatever is comfortable with you.

To speed them up I would try scale the entire animation down first. If that doesn't look right look at parts of the animation that would make sense to be faster and scale those regions of keys. If you have lots of keys it can be a pain but can get some decent results if you tinker enough.
    Thanks! I haven't watched his livestreams but I love his videos, I will for sure get on that!

I'm currently using SFM's graph editor (for small tweaks) so I am sure I would be fine but I want to move on to maya/3dsmax, I heard Maya is used more by professionals for this kind of work but I'm not sure which one I should do?
  • _adamturnbull
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice start but like others have said, they are a little slow right now. I'd definitely give them a lot more punch so you really feel it when they push the clip in. Don't be afraid to have big movements animate over 1 or 2 frames to get a nice snap to it, then hold it for a few frames to allow the viewer to process what just happened before moving on.

I know Overwatch is a little more sylized than what you probably want but they have some nice reload animations https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Anp4yn2FO0
  • Zimuus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zimuus polycounter lvl 3
    https://youtu.be/Q1ZW_Z7rHN4

Thanks to the feedback I feel I have improved quite a bit but I still have a lot to go so I'd love to hear more!
  • Zimuus
  • Arturow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Arturow polycounter
    Those looks way better!! nice job :)
  • Zimuus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zimuus polycounter lvl 3
    Arturow said:
    Those looks way better!! nice job :)
    Thank you! 
  • Zimuus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zimuus polycounter lvl 3
    I am back with another one! I just finished this one today and I am pretty proud of it, thoughts?
    https://youtu.be/k_zSP8BUarA
  • brucemoose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    brucemoose polycounter lvl 3
    I like it, feels very meaty lol and strangely satisfying.
  • VoltStorm7
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    VoltStorm7 polycounter lvl 9
    Zimuus said:
    I am back with another one! I just finished this one today and I am pretty proud of it, thoughts?
    https://youtu.be/k_zSP8BUarA

I think you should break up the sequence of events' timing. It feels great in the beginning, but you carry over similar timing through the entire sequence.  I personally would add a delay of about a 1/2 a sec to the time the shells are slammed into the shotgun to give it an impactful feeling and really allow us to absorb the weight of it. Perhaps slightly speeding up the timing of putting the shells into the shotgun, too, would probably help as well. Thanks!
  • edlucas3rd
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    edlucas3rd triangle
    Just to piggy back off of what Zimuus said, I would also like to see some more weight from the hand holding the shotgun when you put the shells in. Because the hand is animated pretty forcefully but there's no overlap from the weapon, it's just completely still it feels like until it's raised. 
  • Zimuus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zimuus polycounter lvl 3
    With new software (Blender) and your suggestions, I made this.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pN5kMj64YA

Feedback appreciated as always!