Home General Discussion

Audio Books!!!

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
Aerial_Knight polycounter lvl 8
Ive never been one for audio books but i feel in love with "ready player one" and "enders game" a few years ago and I listen to them while i work I just came across a newish one that I think is amazing and wanted to share with you all. its a VR-based fantasy book called Awaken Online: catharsis. 

Any audiobook suggestions? I need more things like this in my life :smile:

http://www.audible.com/pd/Sci-Fi-Fantasy/Awaken-Online-Catharsis-Audiobook/B01L7UC1SU

Replies

• RyanB
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Anything by P.K. Dick works well as audiobooks
    Lovecraft read by Wayne June
  • Aerial_Knight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dudestein said:
    For fiction, I recently started listening to "Kingkiller Chronicle" and I'm really enjoying it. "The Subtle Art of Not Giving a F*ck" is another good one if you like non-fiction.
    yeah i seen "The Subtle Art of Not Giving a F*ck" but im more of a fiction guy
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    The Martian is a good one. Aka the book Matt Damons movie was based off.

Also, Creativity Inc.
  • Daew
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daew polycounter lvl 9
    Really been enjoying the "Mistborn" and "Stormlight archives" series by Brandon Sanderson, albeit they are a bit samey. They are fantasy fiction and I find Michael kramer's voice soothing lol.

Also currently enjoying the "The blade itself" by Joe Abercrombie
  • kanga
  • Aerial_Knight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • monster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    monster polycounter
    If you like fantasy His Majesty's Dragon best audiobook in recent times IMO.

Other fun listens:
    Chaos Walking series
    Lost Fleet series
  • PixelMasher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    Im a big fan of podcasts, mainly I crank into:
    the tim ferriss show
    travel like a boss
    self made man
    the james altucher show
    noah kagan presents

and  a bunch of others. Funnily enough I actually have a hard time internalizing audio book content and preffer to read most of the time, while I can absorb podcast conversations pretty well. There is one audio book I do wanna get mainly cause its narrated by "dom mazzetti" himself. The Swoly Bibile 

• Aerial_Knight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I finally started (Masters of Doom) Audiobook I see now why so many people have told me to read it.
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    Don't get Ready Player One.  There's little redeeming to it.  There's not much of a thematic foundation it sits on besides  "Cool VR universe building."
  • Aerial_Knight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Don't get Ready Player One.  There's little redeeming to it.  There's not much of a thematic foundation it sits on besides  "Cool VR universe building."
    I disagree its a best seller and tops many devs must read list. Telling someone not to read Ready Player One is like saying never play Pac-Man. To each their own i lol
  • Zack Maxwell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zack Maxwell interpolator
    I disagree its a best seller and tops many devs must read list. Telling someone not to read Ready Player One is like saying never play Pac-Man. To each their own i lol
    I've heard weird things about that book. It seems to have almost all positive reviews, but at the same time everyone has weird terrible things to say about it. Like how the story is shallow and refused to go in depth on a lot of subjects it touches on and glosses over a lot of plot points, how a lot of inconsistencies occur in the story, or how the villain is ridiculous.
    And at the same time, it's very hard to find explanations of why anyone actually likes it, aside from an apparent mass of pop-culture references.
    I don't think it could be bad with so many positive reviews, but no one actually seems to have anything good to say about it aside from "it's good, 5 stars"
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    @Grimwolf
    That is my suspicion, is that most people love the book because of the references,  not how its story is woven.  I smiled occasionally when I heard the descriptions of the references like Tom Clancy describing guns, but it doesn't add THAT much to what the book was trying to say . . . which was what?  

I struggle to immediately determine what the theme of the book was besides "the little guys will be victorious."
  • mats effect
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I would second the Martain. Also anything by Brandon Sanderson if you like fantasy (Mistborn and Stormlight Archives are is who main and best series). 

Powder mage trilogy is another great one its fantasy with gun powder and the beginning of an industrial age mixed in, if like me that put you off to start with trust me its awesome. 

The wheel of time, I am just going through it myself at the moment but its known as one of the best fantasy series around and the books are about 20-30+ hours each so loads of content. 
  • Aerial_Knight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Grimwolf said:
    I've heard weird things about that book. It seems to have almost all positive reviews, but at the same time everyone has weird terrible things to say about it. Like how the story is shallow and refused to go in depth on a lot of subjects it touches on and glosses over a lot of plot points, how a lot of inconsistencies occur in the story, or how the villain is ridiculous.
    And at the same time, it's very hard to find explanations of why anyone actually likes it, aside from an apparent mass of pop-culture references.
    I don't think it could be bad with so many positive reviews, but no one actually seems to have anything good to say about it aside from "it's good, 5 stars"

its VR harry potter, there ya go ;)
  • ExcessiveZero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ExcessiveZero polycounter lvl 6
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nfuDtdxEMEc I really dug these conan books, there is some anarchronism that threw me into laughter though apparently Ejaculated used to be interchangeable with exclaimed "Get off me!" He Ejaculated >.< lol
  • Aerial_Knight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • lotet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    I would second the Martain. Also anything by Brandon Sanderson if you like fantasy (Mistborn and Stormlight Archives are is who main and best series). 
    I third this.
    I pretty much benched Mistborn, listened to it  24/7, went through the whole trilogy in like 4 days.

would also recommend Steel Heart by the same author, if your into more modern/urban stuff.
  • mats effect
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah the Steel Heart books are awesome too!

Also if anyone is looking for some real OG Sci-Fi check out The Mote in God's Eye and The Gripping Hand (might be published under the mote around gods eye in some places). Larry Niven Jerry Pournelle are some of the all time best. Considering when they where first published they also pretty successfully predicted tech like tablets.

There are actually a lot of books set in the same universe as the two above but King David's Spaceship is the only other one that is set around the same time as the two above. Its not a direct tie in but another outstanding sci-fi book. 

O and The Expanse that's an awesome series set after we have been able to leave earth but not the local star system. 

Ok just one more The Black Company. This is one hell of a long series and can be hard to follow at times but its so, so worth it. So many great characters but also brutal no one is so important that they can't be killed of, off screen without a second thought (well page).