Home Unity

Bringing clones to Unity (Instansing, clones workflow question)

Kutuzov
polycounter lvl 2
Offline / Send Message
Kutuzov polycounter lvl 2
Hello everyone,

I've made a wine shelf in Cinema 4d, using one bottle model and cloner object. I want to bring this thing to Unity, and know I'm stuck at how to do it. I don't want to bring this shelf as separate objects because a lot of memory will be used for dozens of bottles, and I don't want to bring this object as one solid piece of geometry because it would loose details in texture (as soon as it will become one 2k texture instead of many). So, I'm stuck here trying to bring this thing, in the same manner, it's working in Cinema 4d, where it's all clones (instances) of one object. So I will be very appreciated for some advice, thanks!

Replies

• Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You would not lose texture resolution by merging meshes. All bottles can reuse same texture. 

You would only want individual bottles of you needed each to be interactive in some way.
  • cptSwing
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cptSwing polycounter lvl 11
    Distance Culling / LODing might also be an issue if you merge too many meshes that are spread over a large area. That's assuming the player is the size of a fly in your game, though ;)
  • YannickStoot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    YannickStoot polycounter lvl 3
    The way you made it now it not the best. Turn this thing into 2 assets.
    -1 rack in which only one of the 7 racks is present.
    -1 bottle of wine.

Within unity make a prefab including a rack and place bottles on all the holes. Save the prefab and duplicate the rack to the amount of racks you want. Doing it this way is much more efficiënt on data.

Ps: Texture resolution will not be a problem since all the bottles and racks share the same uv space.