Home Digital Sketchbooks

Sketchbook: Tay Allen

polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
TayAllen polycounter lvl 5
Hi.  I'll be posting w.i.p. and the random bits I jot down (image and word). Comments and crits are welcome. 

Replies

• TayAllen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Moving this here from the character thread I started the other day.
    Current progress - polypaint.
  • TayAllen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Color sketch of the next character I'll be working on.
  • TayAllen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Small update on my current character. I finally found the perfect yellow! Posting now to document progress before committing to full paint. I want to play with adding teal to break her tunic up, I also feel that there's too much leather at the back, so I want to make a design change or two because there no way to distinguish any of the layers right now
  • Elithenia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Elithenia polycounter
    I feel that she's still a bit too dark, she doesn't really stand out.
    Modelling is looking really nice :) 
  • TayAllen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Good morning, and thank you :smile: -- yea, she's definitely too dark. There's still only flats in many places, like her hair. Next post is the final base changes so the lighting push will start showing in the post after that
  • TayAllen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Finished making most of the changes I want. Next update will be much farther along, closer to the final paint and pose.

I added more red to the leather and deepened it a bit due to it blending into her skin when trying out lighting and highlights. Added teal striping to break up the yellow, and a touch of orange to the recesses as well as the inside of her tunic. Changed the color of her pants. Flared out the edges of her costume in a few places to avoid having too many straight lines, particularly at the tops of her boots and the bare shoulder.

• TayAllen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spent some time today completing the low poly for a sculpt I did a couple weeks back

• TayAllen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So that little break from the mage served to highlight more things I'd change in her design. The essence of the character is there, but too many little things are off. Until she and I hash those issues out, I'm going to hang out with an old friend - landscapes.

To make up for it being a departure from my first love, I'll treat them like a game art project. For now, a couple of rough sketches...

• TayAllen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I feel really bad at not having much of anything to post for so long, but life's been very hectic for the last few weeks :(. I've gotten closer something shareable though so yay.

As I was testing out colors to do a 2D painting of one of those last sketches, I was inspired to build it 3D instead, so I've been chipping away this little side project while modifying my current character designs. Environment art, beyond a painting, is waaay out of my preferred comfort zone, but I think the adventure's been worth it. I tip my hat to those of you who do this for real. 

Here are a couple of images from the start of the project. More to follow shortly.

I'm finishing the paint for these atm. 

• TayAllen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    WiP screenshot of my environment project. Posting updated Mage, and first shots of Healer, soon.

• TayAllen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Small update on my environment scene. Saturation and placement tweaks and have started some actual painting (previous colors are largely paintbucket fill over baked maps).

I'm finally happy with the mage/caster's changes. I had the hardest time for a long while in figuring out what was so off to me. I ultimately decided that she lacked consistency throughout her design and was heavy in the wrong places. She's almost fully rebuilt from scratch (though I still may make a couple smaller changes)  and has flats done on her.

Been working on the next character in the set as well. 

• TayAllen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wires

Normals (unedited)

Rig test

Also, have finished some updates on the healer:

• TayAllen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Don't mean to let my sketchbook get a bit dusty but have been a little busy again lately. There's some wip to share though.

This guy. Authoring the textures now, and am hoping to have something decent next week.

And, the mage/caster. Got some corrections to her topology in, and also rigged. There are still a couple areas in her skinning that I'd like to tend to -- I'm hoping that they're not overly distracting for now though. I still haven't gotten to do more than her flat colors yet, but should have something in the coming weeks. 

• TayAllen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Finally got some time to paint the caster's textures. 

Working on the concepts/sculpts for this giraffe now

• pmiller001
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pmiller001 greentooth
    Hey tay, Your sculpts are way cool! 
    I may not be famliar with griaffe anatomys o keep that in mind, but right now it definetly reminds me more of a horse or an alpaca. I could be trippin though. Great stuff!
  • TayAllen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you! You're not trippin', lol :smile: -- I really (really) pushed the size of the hooves, and giraffes also don't have feather.

A critique of my own: I think the neck is also a touch too short still but haven't gotten to that part yet