Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[UE4] Resident evil style scene

Replies

• B.O.W.
    Offline / Send Message
    B.O.W. greentooth
    Martoon said:
    Really great progress, the lighting is working well to show the material definition. I can see some Rococo style furniture fitting into this scene. Looking forward to seeing more!
    I'm currently working on the structure of the scene. Furniture model will be added later.
  • B.O.W.
    Offline / Send Message
    B.O.W. greentooth
    Newly completed walls. ;) Improved partial illumination,Better foil atmosphere.

• cyborgguineapig
    Offline / Send Message
    cyborgguineapig polycounter lvl 14
  • B.O.W.
    Offline / Send Message
    B.O.W. greentooth
    looks sweet
    I adjusted the roughness details of some of the objects.
  • B.O.W.
  • B.O.W.
    Offline / Send Message
    B.O.W. greentooth
    The first floor of the model structure and the texture is being produced.
  • B.O.W.
  • Pav3d
    Offline / Send Message
    Pav3d insane polycounter
    Looking great, very resi! Maybe tone down the white haze or bloom overlay a bit? Very nice wood materials.
  • JLHGameArt
    Offline / Send Message
    JLHGameArt greentooth
    You've really captured the feel from the first Resi game, and I love it. That game terrified me as a kid, that zombie turned around at the start of the game and I noped straight out of there.

My only suggestion is that some of the normals on the edges of the panels look a bit noisy. Trying to think of how they would get that badly dented and worn that far up the wall as it's not an area that would see much wear and tear. Just nit picking mostly. Could be solved just by toning down the intensity of those normals. 

Only other thing I can spot in the image above this is the roughness on the marble on the right column looks wrong, it's reading more like plastic to me than marble.

Good stuff!
  • B.O.W.
    Offline / Send Message
    B.O.W. greentooth
    You've really captured the feel from the first Resi game, and I love it. That game terrified me as a kid, that zombie turned around at the start of the game and I noped straight out of there.

My only suggestion is that some of the normals on the edges of the panels look a bit noisy. Trying to think of how they would get that badly dented and worn that far up the wall as it's not an area that would see much wear and tear. Just nit picking mostly. Could be solved just by toning down the intensity of those normals. 

Only other thing I can spot in the image above this is the roughness on the marble on the right column looks wrong, it's reading more like plastic to me than marble.

Good stuff!

Thank you very much for your advice. I will continue to modify these textures. Your suggestion is great!
  • B.O.W.
    Offline / Send Message
    B.O.W. greentooth

Good stuff!
    The edge of the damage effect of the norm I will do some weaker processing. As for the roughness of marble, I have not thought of a good way to modify.
  • JLHGameArt
    Offline / Send Message
    JLHGameArt greentooth
    B.O.W. said:
    The edge of the damage effect of the norm I will do some weaker processing. As for the roughness of marble, I have not thought of a good way to modify.
    Maybe add some break up to the roughness. Right now it's just smooth, maybe making it more rough where the veins in the marble are will give a better effect? The main problem I see is that it's really really smooth which you could break up by giving the impression of cracks and defects in the marble. It doesn't need to be very strong, just subtle enough to be noticeable if you look at it.
  • B.O.W.
    Offline / Send Message
    B.O.W. greentooth
    B.O.W. said:
    Maybe add some break up to the roughness. Right now it's just smooth, maybe making it more rough where the veins in the marble are will give a better effect? The main problem I see is that it's really really smooth which you could break up by giving the impression of cracks and defects in the marble. It doesn't need to be very strong, just subtle enough to be noticeable if you look at it.
    Some modifications to the marble material.

• JLHGameArt
    Offline / Send Message
    JLHGameArt greentooth
    I think now the problem may be the lighting here, can you show where you have placed the lights in this shot? I only ask because those highlights on the marble seem very strong and look a bit weird, and I can't tell if it's because you've got a light right up against it or if it's a reflection. Have you put in reflection probes?

Looking at the highlight on this image of a polished marble column show's it's quite tight but these are obviously kept clean, so I guess the question is do you want your marble to look like it's been polished or do you want to dull it down a bit so it seems dusty.

• B.O.W.
    Offline / Send Message
    B.O.W. greentooth
    I think now the problem may be the lighting here, can you show where you have placed the lights in this shot? I only ask because those highlights on the marble seem very strong and look a bit weird, and I can't tell if it's because you've got a light right up against it or if it's a reflection. Have you put in reflection probes?

Looking at the highlight on this image of a polished marble column show's it's quite tight but these are obviously kept clean, so I guess the question is do you want your marble to look like it's been polished or do you want to dull it down a bit so it seems dusty.

I want to make it look a bit dusty, so add some dust layers. ;)
  • B.O.W.
    Offline / Send Message
    B.O.W. greentooth

I have added the reflection capture,Capture accuracy is 128.Perhaps the reason for the accuracy of the reflection capture?
  • B.O.W.
    Offline / Send Message
    B.O.W. greentooth
    The structure of the second floor
  • Handwiches
    This is looking incredible. I've been a huge fan of Resident Evil forever. I'm stark white lighting, personally, I think it provides a nice unsettling atmosphere. Excited to see your progress.
  • charlyxxx
    Offline / Send Message
    charlyxxx interpolator
    Awesome progress! I'm a big fan of RE and I like what you do!!! Keep going!
  • B.O.W.
    Offline / Send Message
    B.O.W. greentooth
    charlyxxx said:
    Awesome progress! I'm a big fan of RE and I like what you do!!! Keep going!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0AKr3Cswd54
  • B.O.W.
  • NateMasterFlash
    Offline / Send Message
    NateMasterFlash polycounter lvl 12
    Loving the atmosphere.  Great work so far.
  • macoll
    Offline / Send Message
    macoll polycounter lvl 13
    Great attention to details on the meshes and great mood ;)
  • ZacD
    Online / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Looks great, the grey look works better in video than it does in static images. Are you going to try the new atmospheric fog in 4.16? Would probably add to the atmosphere. 
  • B.O.W.
    Offline / Send Message
    B.O.W. greentooth
    ZacD said:
    Looks great, the grey look works better in video than it does in static images. Are you going to try the new atmospheric fog in 4.16? Would probably add to the atmosphere. 
    Yes, I will be updated in the 4.16 version of the official version of the test today I 4.16 volume fog effect is great!
  • Xelar
    Offline / Send Message
    Xelar polycounter lvl 2
    The detailing of the room is impeccable! I know how much hard work it is to do baroque detailling like that.
    One thing that jumped out at me is the heavy postprocessing. I know the sort of low-contrast look is part of the Resindent evil aesthetic but it's almost like you're looking through milky glass, which makes the scene look very flat. Atleast the objects closer to the camera should have darker shadows than the ones in the distance.
    Presentation-wise I would also not use the standard UE4 character because it contrasts too much with the level. Maybe zoom out the camera a bit and change the material to something darker with high roughness.
  • B.O.W.
    Offline / Send Message
    B.O.W. greentooth
    Xelar said:
    The detailing of the room is impeccable! I know how much hard work it is to do baroque detailling like that.
    One thing that jumped out at me is the heavy postprocessing. I know the sort of low-contrast look is part of the Resindent evil aesthetic but it's almost like you're looking through milky glass, which makes the scene look very flat. Atleast the objects closer to the camera should have darker shadows than the ones in the distance.
    Presentation-wise I would also not use the standard UE4 character because it contrasts too much with the level. Maybe zoom out the camera a bit and change the material to something darker with high roughness.

Oh, I encountered some color contrast in the 4.15 problem, the screen gray because my monitor is not caused by the correct contrast, and 4.15 comes with HDR dynamic output (need to monitor support) on the ordinary display bug, that is the screen Dark will be very dark. These questions will be fixed in the new version of the engine. I am very grateful to you for your technical advice. ;)
  • B.O.W.
    Offline / Send Message
    B.O.W. greentooth
    Door on the first floor.

• Filipe
    Offline / Send Message
    Filipe polycounter lvl 2
    This is turning out great. Can't wait to see more.
  • B.O.W.
  • FreneticPonies
    Offline / Send Message
    FreneticPonies polycounter lvl 3
    This looks incredible, awesome, awesome job!
  • Joopson
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    I still feel like the post-processing isn't helping it. Looks amazing to me besides that. Seems like the postprocessing is cutting the darks, and giving the whole thing a blueish milky feel, which takes away a lot of the creepy dark atmosphere.
    The modelling and texturing looks spot on! 
  • B.O.W.
    Offline / Send Message
    B.O.W. greentooth
    Joopson said:
    I still feel like the post-processing isn't helping it. Looks amazing to me besides that. Seems like the postprocessing is cutting the darks, and giving the whole thing a blueish milky feel, which takes away a lot of the creepy dark atmosphere.
    Oh, this is the problem I have been tangled, 4.15 color contrast is so I am a headache, the dark tone of the picture is too dark, dark will lose a lot of details, in short, I have been looking for the right light and dark contrast. I will be in the scene model is completed, take the time to solve these problems, then I will ask you.
  • B.O.W.
    Offline / Send Message
    B.O.W. greentooth
    Joopson said:
    I modified some post parameters, concentration and weakened environment fog ...

• B.O.W.
  • reiko26
    Offline / Send Message
    reiko26 null
    Whoaaaah this is amazing. Thanks for sending me link to come here. Im definately honored. I hope in the future, you will proceed to make more of this.
  • Kid.in.the.Dark
    Offline / Send Message
    Kid.in.the.Dark polycounter lvl 6
    Really nice work so far Bow,

I feel the roses right now are a little too saturated in comparison to the rest of the scene so it currently feels like it doesn't quite belong there...
    I'd suggest dropping the saturation of them and also bringing down the fog intensity in the scene since that's currently the biggest factor in why the scene feels so desaturated in comparison to the stuff closest to camera.

Lovely work so far though (Y)
  • B.O.W.
    Offline / Send Message
    B.O.W. greentooth

I feel the roses right now are a little too saturated in comparison to the rest of the scene so it currently feels like it doesn't quite belong there...
    I'd suggest dropping the saturation of them and also bringing down the fog intensity in the scene since that's currently the biggest factor in why the scene feels so desaturated in comparison to the stuff closest to camera.

Thank you very much to give me advice, I came home from work will be amended accordingly by comparing the different display tonight, I found these problems, the concentration of fog is indeed too high, making the screen flat. I also need to adjust the color of roses. The material of flowers is difficult for me at the moment...
  • Cg_Creator
    Offline / Send Message
    Cg_Creator polycounter lvl 11
    I ll try to make that post short, by not commenting on the quality of your work... which I think is looking incredible so far... And I m sure you ll keep pushing forward and make it even better as you should.... Got one question tho, is about your video, which software are u using to record your animation as I keep having issues not being able to get all the smoothness and quality when I record mine...? Thank you, looking forward for a lot more updates :)
  • B.O.W.
    Offline / Send Message
    B.O.W. greentooth

Yes, I improved the saturation of the flowers and the overall ambient fog concentration.

• B.O.W.
    Offline / Send Message
    B.O.W. greentooth
    I ll try to make that post short, by not commenting on the quality of your work... which I think is looking incredible so far... And I m sure you ll keep pushing forward and make it even better as you should.... Got one question tho, is about your video, which software are u using to record your animation as I keep having issues not being able to get all the smoothness and quality when I record mine...? Thank you, looking forward for a lot more updates :)
    I was using NVIDIA showplay video recording, followed by the conversion rate then upload youtube