Home Technical Talk

Need some guidance regarding which program is best for environment texturing

polygon
Offline / Send Message
Krato polygon
Hello!

I am learning how to model 3D environments and I've been following this tutorial. He uses 3D coat in the tutorial, I have substance painter and have been eyeing marmoset toolbag. I don't know a lot about the respective strengths of each of these programs and I understand the whole sentiment that I'm new and should just buckle up and learn whatever and stick to it. However, you guys most assuredly know better than which respective program, substance painter or toolbag, is better suited for working with environments. Ideally, I would like to model all my parts, high poly model them in zbrush, and then (hopefully) create some sort of dynamic environment where I can have them on screen and create lighting and effects to really visualize what my environment would look like. I'm not sure if painter can do that per say, is marmoset able to accomplish this?

Thanks for the help

Replies

• pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Substance Painter and 3DCoat are used to create assets (baking maps, texturing models, and in the case of 3DCoat also sculpting and retopo).
    Toolbag is used to display assets/scenes. Also as of TB3 It also lets you bake maps in a very convenient way.

Apple and oranges.
  • Krato
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Krato polygon
    pior said:
    Substance Painter and 3DCoat are used to create assets (baking maps, texturing models, and in the case of 3DCoat also sculpting and retopo).
    Toolbag is used to display assets/scenes. Also as of TB3 It also lets you bake maps in a very convenient way.

Apple and oranges.
    So, Substance/Coat are more for getting an asset game ready and marmoset is more for showing off the asset?
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Maya/MAx/Modo/Blender are to make an asset game ready. 3DCoat and Substance are (mostly) to create the needed textures. Marmoset is first and foremost a presentation tool with a rendering engine looking exactly like modern games, but it also has an (excellent) baking tool to generate maps that can then be fed into Substance for modern texturing.
  • Krato
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Krato polygon
    pior said:
    Maya/MAx/Modo/Blender are to make an asset game ready. 3DCoat and Substance are (mostly) to create the needed textures. Marmoset is first and foremost a presentation tool with a rendering engine looking exactly like modern games, but it also has an (excellent) baking tool to generate maps that can then be fed into Substance for modern texturing.
    Ah, thank you for clearing that up! If I'm thinking about this correctly, I could potentially bring a prepared asset into substance painter, texture it to my hearts content, and then either send it to marmoset for a polished presentation or straight to engine? Is this common?

By the way, I checked out your website, holy shit. Beautiful work all around. Bookmarked.