Home 2D Art Showcase & Critiques

Animated 2D Portraits [gif heavy]

ADR
polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
ADR polycounter lvl 5
Heya, first time posting! I've been somewhat of a lurker but in an effort to get in contact with other artists who have similar interests, decided to post my work!

Wasn't sure where to put this, but I feel it's more related to 2D art rather then animation. But feel free to move my thread if you disagree.

I'm an Illustrator with a big interest in games and animation, and two years ago I taught myself how to use Live2D Cubism for my indie game project Herald: An Interactive Period Drama. I made about 13 models like this for the game with varying degrees of detail in mobility. I wouldn't call myself an animator but I also animated these.

This is how it looks in game while being controlled by a dialogue system. You can check the game here for those curious: http://store.steampowered.com/app/380810

Here's something I've been working on in my spare time to challenge myself. This one can move from left to right and look up and down. I am also playing with limbs on this one.

Needless to say, I've fallen in love with the program and want to continue working with it! I don't have any experience with Spine, but I think more control over the texture is possible with Live2D Cubism. It's a lot more artist friendly then techniques like putting 2D textures on 3D meshes and achieving the 2.5D look that way.

Unfortunately, since it's a Japanese program, I don't know many western artists who have picked it up yet. But recently Ubisoft released a mobile game called "City of Love: Paris" that uses the same software.

To cut my ramble short, I'd love to get in contact with any artists working on similar detailed 2.5D models professionaly!

Replies

• Elithenia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Elithenia polycounter
    I've never heard of this program, but I really like your art :) 
  • trezzinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    trezzinator polycounter lvl 4
    OMFG. As soon as I saw Tabatha's face on the Polycount front page I shrieked with delight. I LOVED Herald and can't wait for the next installment... and the character portraits were my favourite part! Stellar work!!! (Also, City of Love is a big hit around our office and the art is just stunning)
  • Gazu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gazu polycounter lvl 11
  • Justo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justo polycounter
    This looks amazing. 
  • Alemja
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alemja hero character
    I saw some of the first girl on twitter! This is some really amazing stuff, your game looks great too!
  • Dartist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dartist polycounter lvl 3
    This looks really amazing!  Are there some good tutorials on this?  Or is it just well placed bones on different areas of the face?  The nose looks so 3D!
  • ADR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ADR polycounter lvl 5
    Thank you all! :D And yay cool to see someone here who played Herald @ trezzinator Glad you liked it!

Also thanks for the front page feature <3 I'm honored!

@Dartist You can find tutorials on the Live2D website! But I also advice lots of googling and using google translate on various Japanese tutorials. But they just released a new version of it today so the tutorials might be a bit outdated now.
  • CybranM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CybranM interpolator
    Looks great, both the art and the animation. Really brings the characters to life
  • _adamturnbull
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice! This looks great. Definitely going to give this software a try!
  • GregMack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GregMack polycounter lvl 3
    I'm going to definitely give this a shot. Looks way more practical than other workflows I've been reading into that are all AfterEffects based.
  • Laughing_Bun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Laughing_Bun polycounter lvl 17
    Congrats on releasing the game. It looks really good! I worked at a mobile studio that did some 2.5D stuff. It was a RPG that used Spine for all the animation. The animators found it pretty cumbersome but it was also a very intensive production. Had a lot of characters and the goal was to get as much range of movement as possible. For V2 of the game they opted to build a system in Maya from the ground up.

It wasn't that complicated really but quality tools matter and building a system/workflow from scratch is a lot of work. I was very impressed with the live2d stuff and think you probably made the best choice. That being said I've never directly worked on any of that stuff but Live2d seemed very impressive to me.
  • ADR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ADR polycounter lvl 5
    Thanks again! Would definitely be cool if some other artists here started using the software! [out of entirely selfish reasons, so we can perhaps discuss techniques ;p]

@Laughing_Bun Thanks for sharing your experience with 2.5D. I have no experience with Spine, but if I can be blunt, I don't like how stiff the graphics usually keep looking. I really like the 3 dimensionality you can get by deforming the 2D texture. But it seems a lot more robust as an animation software and probably better for sprites and stuff. I have never tried making anything like that using Live2D. But I've also seen stuff from it that looks more like what you'd get with Live2D like this and this.

I'm curious about the workflow in a self made 2.5D setup using 3D software. I've seen talks and posts about it but never that in depth.

And I know all about the difficulties of building that system and workflow, getting Live2D to work in Unity was pretty terrible at the start. We've been very lucky that the company approached us to test and use their new Unity SDK which made it a LOT more workable!
  • cmc444
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cmc444 polycounter lvl 11
    This are fantastic. Nice work!
  • dGreenberg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dGreenberg polycounter
    Those portraits are absolutely gorgeous, @ADR! I hadn't heard of Herald previous to this, but I'm gonna check it out if the rest of the game is anywhere near impressive as the art. Hope to see more stuff from you soon.
  • Laughing_Bun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Laughing_Bun polycounter lvl 17
    The setup was basically packing your drawn character to a texture. I think we had a tool that would convert a layered PSD to a packed texture. You could do it manually or use Texture packer.

Then you would create a proxy mesh. Basically cut around the alpha then add some extra cuts to form a rough 3d mesh and give that little extra dimension to it. If you follow some sort of a template for laying out your packed textures you can make that process easier on yourself and share assets.

Then we would rig the characters the way you would traditionally in maya. That was the real advantage; getting to use the entire maya animation suite and not mess with a 3rd party software. I am assuming Live 2d has more tools for warping and blending parts together or facial animation. So it really depends on what you want to achieve.

Try building a proxy mesh then mapping your drawings to it and see how it is working for you. Your results are very good but also a lot more subtle than what we were doing.
  • ADR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ADR polycounter lvl 5
    Thank you! It was so much fun seeing my illustrations come to life, especially at the beginning it was quite an unreal experience for me.

@dGreenberg Please do check out the game! :D I'm very proud of it. We had to cut corners on a lot of things since we're only a small team with no prior game development knowledge, but I thoroughly enjoyed doing the art direction for it and creating all those portraits. Since we have gotten a lot of good reviews I think I can safely say the story is quite good too.

@Laughing_Bun Sounds like the best thing about that system is working with a tool that everyone is already familiar with! Building an actual 3D mesh seems like more work then what I have been doing in Live2D. You do create meshes, but it all remains in 2D space so you don't have to worry about anything looking off in 3D space. You can decide how much of a 3D effect you want to create by yourself, as it's just based on how you warp and deform the 2D mesh in different angles.

I did a simple full body character drawing to practice in Live2D Cubism 3 that I will be posting WIP's off over at twitter, for those interested! :] I'll be sure to post the result here as well.

• djackson362
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    djackson362 polycounter lvl 3
    This is so beautiful.  I wish I could draw!  Thanks.
  • Dood1
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dood1 vertex
    Reminds me of Waltz with Bashir
  • Odow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Odow polycounter lvl 8
    Really pretty stuff !

I saw that software a while ago is it translated now ?
  • ADR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ADR polycounter lvl 5
    Thanks!

@Dood1 Haha I think I can see why, not sure what software they used to animate that movie. I can't really say I liked the style much tho.

@Odow The software is translated, apart from the random Japanese sometimes still found in small sub menus that they seem to have forgotten about :P But it's not an issue.
  • yaoyao
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yaoyao null
    Very fond of it, feeling very magical, hope more and more good   :D
  • ADR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ADR polycounter lvl 5
    My first attempt at a standing full body model with the software. I quite like how it turned out!

• lotet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
  • Robert Headley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Robert Headley polycounter lvl 18
    I love your art style and the animation is great. If you hadn't told me you didn't have experience, I  wouldn't have guessed. 
  • RN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RN sublime tool
    ADR said:
    My first attempt at a standing full body model with the software. I quite like how it turned out!

Hi @ADR, I love that design. I think the cloth follow-through could be improved, especially in the right sleeve (the arm not holding the wand), the way it bounces.
  • quockhanhlk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    quockhanhlk polycounter lvl 11
    i love all of these, feels really special seeing an inllustration move even just a little !
  • ADR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ADR polycounter lvl 5
    @RN Thanks for the feedback! I'm still learning how to do bounces well, so it's definitely something I'm focusing on in the future.

I wanted to post a new animation I made! :>

Thanks again for all the appreciation!
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So nice, you posted it twice?
    edit: it really is nice.
  • ADR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ADR polycounter lvl 5
    Woops! Fixed now! The first upload seemed to fail so I added it again. Seems it sneakily uploaded after all!
  • Ouran
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ouran greentooth
    This is hypnotizing me. Love it!