Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[UE4] Environment: ¨Yir'Daman¨

polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
OctOstera polycounter lvl 4
FINAL RENDER

You can check the progress and fly-through video down bellow! 

Hello dear polygonians
!

"Yir'Daman" is an environment piece I will be creating in the upcoming months, based in an awesome piece of art by the awesome and super talented Yury Ostapchuk.

The chosen artwork is this one:

Ostapchuk 2017

With Yury´s approval I´m ready to begin working on this right away! But first, a little about the lore of this piece. I wrote a small fragment of the story I imagined to guide me while working on it. This is the second piece from a bunch that I will be creating, all telling stories from the same fantasy universe.

You can check the first one here:  

of these brave knights would fight for piece and freedom, protecting the 8 Kingdoms of Men.
But when Yakox Haas, High General of the Haasen,
died fighting the darkness, the remaining knights of the order found 
themselves lost, leaderless. They ran from the fight, breaking theirs vows, deserting
their kings. And so the dragons reclaimed by force their place in the mountains and 
the Unholy Underworld races, lead by Nuk the Darkspeaker, came from the east. And without 
the Haasen Knights to protect them cities were burnt, kings were killed in their sleep, sacred places 
reduced to ash. The war was lost. And the reign of terror of the Darkspeaker had begun.

For many winters the sun stayed hidden under a thick layer of clouds, for the Dark King
casted a mighty spell that would allow the Underworld creatures to freely roam his lands.
Animals, trees and flowers died. All life ceased to exist in His domain, for without the 
all-mighty light of Pelor everything turns to misery.

But far to the East, away from the Darkspeaker´s sight, a new hope for men is
rising. For Grimm Turgar, and old dwarven hero of the north lands, has summoned the
Haasen desserters under a banner of hope. Now they hide in the old ruins of Yir´Daman, 
preparing themselves to reclaim the lands of men once and for all. Ready to regain
their long lost honor.

And for the first time in 12 years, upon the old ruins of Yir´Daman, the Haasen banner
proudly hangs from the castle walls and the sun shines once again. 

With no further ado, I´ll get right to it!

Cheers,
Otto

Replies

• cmc444
    Offline / Send Message
    cmc444 polycounter lvl 11
  • Kbrom12
    Offline / Send Message
    Kbrom12 polycounter lvl 8
    cmc444 said:
    Sub'ed!

^ that
  • OctOstera
    Offline / Send Message
    #1 update!

Hey guys,

I`ve been blocking out the main forms, mostly trying to figure out object placement and translating the 2D concept to a 3D world, which can be tricky sometimes. Luckily it translated smoothly, so yeah. Having some fun here. 

At this point I`m going as close as I can to the concept, but I will be doing some tweaks on camera placement and overall composition.

By the way, I wont be doing the character in the concept. The current man model is just for scale purposes. 

Cheers,
    Otto

• Ootrick
    Offline / Send Message
    Ootrick polycounter lvl 6
    Nice! Already coming together, looking forward to this. Such an awesome concept too, subbed. 
  • OctOstera
    Offline / Send Message
    #2 update!

Hey guys,

Finally had some free time to keep this piece going! I took the blockout a bit further, and decided to give myself some freedom here. Will be giving this whole piece a more gothic style. Perhaps the big tower will be like an old clock tower; but not sure though.

Blockout´s ready! 

Let´s keep this going :) 

Cheers,
    Otto
  • OctOstera
    Offline / Send Message
    #3 update!

Hey guys,

I've been blocking out materials, and exploring some volumetric clouds. Nothing final at this stage (far from that), but mostly looking into setting a foundation for future materials. It's pretty dark right now, have to get to the lights before moving on.

Also exploring if I want to make the castle a bit rougher than the concept, and remove the columns and stuff. Let's see how it develops.

Let me know what you guys think!

Cheers,
    Otto

• OctOstera
    Offline / Send Message
    #4 update!

Hey guys,

Long time no see! I kept on working on this piece as much as I could lately, and I have some progress to share.

I have tweaked a lot my camera settings, including placement, FOV and angle. Also made some work on ilumination and introduced to the scene the brand new volumetric fog. Started doing some props for the foreground area and changed the whole blocking to something that get a bit closer to what I want to achieve. 

As usual, at this stage nothing is final. Probably will make changes to all prop textures once I start building the main structure. And a lot more work on ilumination and fog will come, that's for sure.

Still a lot to do, but its starting to look like something. :) 

Leave C&C! It will definitely be appreciated.

Cheers,
    Otto
  • OctOstera
    Offline / Send Message
    #5 update!

Hey guys, 

I've been working more on this piece. I started building more props and tweaking the lighting and clouds. Started working on the wooden structures that surround the castle, even tho the walls are still placeholders. 

Added grass, tweaked the flowers and started listing all the smaller props and details I want to use to fill in the level. Also decided that will be doing some flythrus of the finished level once I'm done with it. 

There are many problems with the contrasts and overwall temperature in the piece, but all that will be tweaked later. 

Still a long way to go!

Cheers,
    Otto

• OctOstera
    Offline / Send Message
    #6 last update!

Hi, guys! 

Just finished this awesome piece. Was a lot of fun and learned a ton doing it. Lately, I've been learning a lot about composition, color, and balance, and to apply all that learned content was the main goal of this piece.

This is the final render:

Thanks to everyone that helped with their feedback and support, and I apologize for not keeping this thread more active. It's been a pretty busy couple of weeks! 

Here are all the passes for the piece:

And all the props, textures, and modular pieces used in the creation of this environment:

And to everyone wondering about the actual progress on the piece, here is a gif image that walks you thru the whole thing.

Have a great summer/winter and talk to you soon! 

Otto

• FreneticPonies
    Offline / Send Message
    FreneticPonies polycounter lvl 3
    Final render looks great! Very artistic interpretation, like a piece of concept art. Very nice job  :)
  • OctOstera
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks, man! I've been playing a lot with LUT color grading in Unreal, particles, lighting and overall composition for a few days.. This was tons of fun really. Glad you liked it :) 

Otto
  • OctOstera
    Offline / Send Message
    Here is a progress gif. Reuploaded it in a readable format (was really small before). Hope you can guys see something now :)

And finally, a quick and dirty fly-through video (sorry for bad res!!)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HYca08Bca1Y

Again, thanks, everyone, and really hope you guys like it. I am really excited to get started on my next piece! 

Otto