Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

WIP Classic F1 car with an aircraft turret

Dayviewer
polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
Dayviewer polycounter lvl 7
Alrighty then, after years of just making lowpoly models with basic very basic textures (I work for a mobile game company) and being too lazy to keep learning in my freetime (yes I know..), I thought it was time to finally take a proper crack at something that can go along for modern pc/console games.
I thought it'd be great to get some tips and feedback along the way, so here I am!

Here's the idea:

I've had a concept for a co-op racing/shooting game in my mind for a long time and this of course would be the main attraction.
I'm going for a stylized look with tons of color, so the proportions will be exaggerated a bit and I want to make the details a bit ''bulky''
The main reference I have in terms of that is this:
http://polycount.com/discussion/174025/warhammer-40k-orks-jet-bommer

And here's what I have so far:

I work in Maya and I'm trying out a highpoly workflow by smoothing with the crease tool.
The thing I'm going to start on now is the engine, I plan to keep it as basic as possible, maybe even a bit cartoony, I'll see where it goes.
Feedback/tips are definitely welcome! Cheers guys.

Replies

• defragger
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    defragger sublime tool
    If you want to turn this into a game please make a prototype before modeling the car with the turret.
    I bet you that a) the gunner wont be able to hit anything and b) will be very sick!

I love the exposed engine and massive rear tires. Personally I would design this in the most realistic style but thats up to you of course.

Looking forward to it!
  • Dayviewer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dayviewer polycounter lvl 7
    defragger said:
    If you want to turn this into a game please make a prototype before modeling the car with the turret.
    I bet you that a) the gunner wont be able to hit anything and b) will be very sick!

I love the exposed engine and massive rear tires. Personally I would design this in the most realistic style but thats up to you of course.

Looking forward to it!
    Thanks!
    I actually built a small prototype for it in a jam a year or 2 back which indeed had those things going for it haha.
    That was mostly due to a first person view for the shooter and that the camera inherited the car's rotation as well.
    Later on I made a quick test for 3rd person and a ''decoupled'' camera and it was a lot more pleasant.

I definitely know it'd still be hard as hell to get something like this to work though.
    So making it into a game would be just a bonus, right now I want to focus on my art, and the concept that I have for this ''world'' is great to make some pieces for.
    JoshuaG said:
    This is looking very interesting. I suggest to add more to the silhouette you should make the side air vents extended out more.
    Thanks man! I tried it and it looks great, gives it a bit more ''meat'':

And here's what I have for the back so far:

So yea, I'm going a bit over the top with this haha, I'm trying to make it kinda realistic in the sense that every element will need to be there, but it'll definitely have some things that are out of proportion etc.
    The goal is to have it look badass with the idea that it could work when looking at it with a quick glance, if that makes sense.

Gearbox still needs some extra detail and I still need to fit the suspension in there, but I'll make it work haha.

The turret is just a mockup right now, but I just want to have something sit on there untill I get to it.