Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

From 0 to Engine: speed challenge!

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
I've been following Anthony Jones's progress on a personal game project lately and I thought he had a pretty neat workflow. He's focusing on speed and spending about 2 hours per character. That's 2 hours for sculpt, retopo, texture, rigging and getting it in game! Here's one of his characters: https://www.artstation.com/artwork/lKgOe

I decided to give it a shot, here's my workflow:

1. Zsphere base mesh  & sculpt
2.slice up sculpt, frame by polygroup, zremesher guides
3. zremesh for low poly
4. unwrap in max
5. bake in Toolbag 3
6. texture in Substance Painter
7. auto rig character with Mixamo
8. drop into Unity

It took a little over 3 hours because I had to figure out how to set things up in Unity. My character came out kind of bland because I was mainly focusing on speed.

Since I didn't want to spend too much time painting I should have created more material id's so I could quickly apply materials in painter. I also regret staying so conservative with his design.

So, does anyone else want to have a go? It would be cool to share time saving tips & tricks. The challenge is to get a character, prop, level, weapon, whatever, into a game engine as fast as possible. No hard time limits, just fun.

Replies

• fearian
    Offline / Send Message
    fearian greentooth
    Super interesting. I've been thinking of investigating into some environment workflow hacks like this...

but ironically I don't have the time to contribute right now :v Keeping an eye on this and I'll have a crack in two weeks! :)