Home Career & Education

How long did it take for you to make a living in the 3D industry?

Hi! I would like to open a thread aimed to all 3d professionals (in any field) that make a living in this industry (in any way, not only selling models in marketplaces). Especially I would like to know how much time passed since you started your formation as artists, designers, architects, etc, I mean, not in 3d, but since you began to acquire an artistic or technical base in any field (either academically or self-taught), and the moment that you started to make a living in the 3d industry. The thing is that I have read a lot of similar threads (asking how much time needed to master 3d, etc), but I have never seen one that raises the subject this way, and because of that I would like all those who want tell your story here (a brief summary of it, of course).  

PD: I would also appreciate it if you share any link to any thread very similar to this one (if you know someone:-)

Replies

• beefaroni
  • sacboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sacboi high dynamic range

Hmm...I see you've posted the same thread on another forum I've a long held membership with, that basically caters to the CGI Film/TV VFX sector of the entertainment industry. I'll suggest if you like, running a search on their GD board there are a number of relevant discussions on the subject. 

As for myself, my primary skillset falls into the self taught hardsurface modeller a.k.a "poly-pushing grunt" category or a more likely term I guess considering my scope of interest you could say - CG Generalist?!... To be clear I don't necessarily make my living working 9 to 5 doing this stuff however in the last 18mth period alone I've managed really by pure chance securing a client who seems to be impressed with what I'm into. As a consequence prepared to pay quite handsomely, enough in fact that I'm obligated by law filing an extensive tax return this fiscal year, yaaay...NOT!

Anyways after 13 years hard slog building up a catalogue of work alongside *A* sort of working knowledge thus far, by all intents and purposes a blast pretty much but a hard won lesson I've kept upper most in mind. 

Never think you're done learning everything there is too know because something new invariably has a tendency rearing it's head when least expected.  

• pigart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pigart polycounter lvl 6
    Started doing 3D when I was 13. Started earning money by doing work for small clients / individuals at 15 or 16. Currently almost 19 and I could easily move out and live quite comfortably in my country.
    Most of the time I don't really know what I'm doing.
  • Lt_Commander
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lt_Commander polycounter lvl 10
    I started game modding and texture work when I was about 12 or so and worked with people in small projects until I taught myself the modeling half of the pipeline about 5 years ago, after I finished college. I picked up a few clients here and there and ended up moving to long term contract work for nights and weekends. That work was enough for me to get a dayjob that is also directly related to 3D. All the career momentum I've had has been moving up the ladder as my skills improved and using my past work plus networking to eventually make it a full time gig.

One tip I'd give is that having the ability to finish projects is a skill all its own, and one worth having. Also knowing how to show off your work to others when needed, even in an unfinished state, is also very important.
  • chrisradsby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chrisradsby polycounter lvl 14
    Basically took me one year of teaching myself 3D + Networking. I showed potential and quick progress, willingness to learn and take feedback, got my first job as a junior at Sony - Evolution Studios. For more detail you can read about it here: http://polycount.com/discussion/comment/1448146/#Comment_1448146
  • Vincent3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vincent3d polycounter lvl 2
    Went to 3d school from 2010 to 2011,graduated,got my first 3d job in mid-2012 for a airplane simulator company,moved to the city,worked there 3 years(during that time I worked on my portfolio almost every night) and then got my first job in videogame in 2016.I'm now at Ubisoft.
    Had to work a lot on my personal stuff without counting the hours and learn new stuff (softwares,technique)but it finally got me somewhere.
  • Burpee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Burpee polycounter lvl 9
    Dudestein said:
    I started school for computer animation in 1998 and didn't get my first job in the industry until 2011.
    That's what I call perseverance  :# 

• Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    2 and a half years since uni ended for me till I had a steady enough income.