Home Technical Talk

What is non deformer history?

gene098
polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
gene098 polycounter lvl 6
Hey guys,

So I had a really slow Maya scene and be deleting the non deformer history it sped it up by alot...

But what exactly is non deformer history/ what am I deleting thats making it so much faster?

Replies

• [Deleted User]
    Offline / Send Message
    [Deleted User] insane polycounter
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • [Deleted User]
    Offline / Send Message
  • gene098
    Offline / Send Message
    how to manage it:  Modeling - you are free to delete history over and over.  In fact cleaning your scene is best practices before you start rigging.  
    Rigging - You want a clean scene with ONLY deformer related history - so you can reference it into your render scene when you're ready and its nice and clean.

more examples but... yeah if you're just modelling delete history once in a while.
    First off I love your name and avatar, is that One piece?

How come Maya "apparently" saves all of this history information yet it really can only go back a few steps, like if it really did save all this information then I should be able to go back all the way to the original file right?

• gene098
    Offline / Send Message
    btw how can i see history? in the channel box all i see is

http://img.techpowerup.org/170420/2017-04-20-00h57-00.jpg

• [Deleted User]
    Offline / Send Message
  • kwyjibo
    Offline / Send Message
    kwyjibo polycounter lvl 7
    Those polysplits under inputs section of your channel box is history. Delete your non deformer history and they'll disappear. Delete all history and skincluster and tweak will disappear too. That list gets too long and your scene will start slowing down and can occasionally become buggy. Also in case you don't know, you can click an item in the inputs list to edit the parameters of that action which can be very useful when modeling but tends to create unpredictable results if its very far down the history list.
  • Eric Chadwick
    @gene098 Technical questions belong in Technical Talk not in General Discussion. Pls be aware pf this for future posts, thanks. Moving this for you. 
  • gene098
    Offline / Send Message
    kwyjibo said:
    Those polysplits under inputs section of your channel box is history. Delete your non deformer history and they'll disappear. Delete all history and skincluster and tweak will disappear too. That list gets too long and your scene will start slowing down and can occasionally become buggy. Also in case you don't know, you can click an item in the inputs list to edit the parameters of that action which can be very useful when modeling but tends to create unpredictable results if its very far down the history list.
    What are skin clusters?

I dont believe I ever used anytool called a skin cluster...

And can I actually go back before the history nodes by using the history nodes somehow?
    Ctrl Z only goes so far.
  • Eric Chadwick