Home 2D Art Showcase & Critiques

David's Improvement Thread : CC Welcomed!

Replies

• Doodlok
    Offline / Send Message
    Doodlok interpolator
    DEar lovely people of polycount!

Really trying to take my new style forward and designs :D

• Doodlok
    Offline / Send Message
    Doodlok interpolator
     Dear lovely people of polycount!

just dumping another one here for daily update :d been really sick, went away to meet my friend in military base in the countryside.

Not really in theme with my previous works. but wanted to try something out of ordinary : d

• Doodlok
    Offline / Send Message
    Doodlok interpolator
    Hello lovely people of polycount!

Sorry for the lack of updates, been just drawing and working and all that. 

Im working on an environment piece that incorporates all the characters I've drawn so far, so I got that coming :D

Vader piece was just real quick doodle after I got hyped for Last Jedi, also for practicing the new brush I'm using 

And this is the another character back to the theme of robots, I wanted this to have a slight feminine look on it

• Doodlok
    Offline / Send Message
    Doodlok interpolator

Some WIP shot of my new enviornment piece, wanted to incorporate the robots I designed :D

• Doodlok
    Offline / Send Message
    Doodlok interpolator
    Hello loevely people of polycount!

I'm still really new to this method of painting, as I was quite used to opacity based painting of airbrush, so here's my pathetic attempt :D

• Doodlok
    Offline / Send Message
    Doodlok interpolator

Struggled a lot with this one coz I couldn't figure out the design for the armor and color scheme, still dont like it but still posting it anyway for the sake of critique and leaving prints of my progress :(

• lotet
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    I actually really like the colors, much better coloring in your shadows then usual.
    you have a tendency to really grayed out lights and and shadows, but this is better.
  • Doodlok
    Offline / Send Message
    Doodlok interpolator
    @lotet
    REALLY 
    Sorry, will calm down. Now that you mentioned that gray part I went back and looked at my previous works, I see what you mean D: I'm really glad you like the color scheme, and I'll keep your feedback on washed out lights and shadows in mind. Always thanks for dropping by!
  • Doodlok
    Offline / Send Message
    Doodlok interpolator

Been working on some studies and making some character sheets (I'm too embarrassed to share those now, will work more on it) for last couple days. Quickly made some illustration to test out studies I've been doing and polish my style further.

Not even sure if anyone sees my posts anymore, but HERE WE GO GRIND NEVER STOPSSSSS
  • Doodlok
    Offline / Send Message
    Doodlok interpolator

Trying to mix my new style and old style and GRIND NEVER STOPSPSPSPSPSS
  • Doodlok
    Offline / Send Message
    Doodlok interpolator
    DAVID STRIKES BACK WITH ANOTHER COLORED WORK!

Hello lovely people of Polycount, been ages since I uploaded another one!  I was away practicing and sketching anatomy stuff, doing some research on usual design. Wanted to take a quick break from all the mech stuff so I made dis today :D HOpe you enjoy!

• Doodlok
    Offline / Send Message
    Doodlok interpolator
    Hello LOVELY PEOPLE OF POLYCOUNT, ITS BEEN AGES!

I started taking some courses from CGMA, (it's fantastic btw) so I don't have much I can put up here but luckily I was able to find some time to work on my side stuff :D Still very rough and  WIP, but here ya go!

• miguelnarayan
    Offline / Send Message
    miguelnarayan polycounter lvl 8
    The render skills of the last two are def light years ahead of everything else in your sketchbook, although I like your new drawings with the brushstrokes that look traditional. If you squint your eyes you can see your values working. Congrats!
  • Doodlok
    Offline / Send Message
    Doodlok interpolator
    @miguelnarayan
    IT'S SO GOOD TO SEE YOU AGAIN! Feel like it's been ages!!

And thank you so much for your input, it really means a lot. Talking about lightspeed development, your recent portfolio works are insane! Trying to follow your trails here :D 

Please do come back and check up later, I'm taking classes atm and am curious to see how far I can take this short term improvement :) 
  • miguelnarayan
    Offline / Send Message
    miguelnarayan polycounter lvl 8
    haha, it's good to see you and your progress too! Keep us posted, I know CGMA is exceptional, you'll learn a lot!
  • Doodlok
    Offline / Send Message
    Doodlok interpolator
    HELLO LOVELY PEOPEL OF POLYCOUNT! 

Couple of stuff, I tried adding some color to my previous work and b/w one was done as a composition sketch for my CGMA class :D 

• lotet
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    really love how you made that red metal. great shading and color, keep it up!
  • Doodlok
    Offline / Send Message
    Doodlok interpolator
    @lotet

Thank you! REally appreciate you coming back and commenting on my works :D
  • Doodlok
    Offline / Send Message
    Doodlok interpolator
    HELL-O LOVELY PEOPLE OF POLYCOUNT!

32 POSTS LEFT UNTIL 100TH POST, LETS SEE HOW FAR WE CAN TAKE THIS YA

Another WIP composition study; I never tried drawing anything in this angle or this composition so it took me agesss to figure it out , feedback would be ze most helpful :D

• Doodlok
    Offline / Send Message
    Doodlok interpolator
    HEllo lovely people of polycount!

Can't believe it's been ten days since I updated my last piece D:

I've been busy catching up with classes and my life, but here are couple works I'd like to share..

First one was done as a 'lighting assignment', basically we were given a very flat, simple composition and had to add our own props and lighting onto the scene; I've received some feedback but I'd like to share what I got now :D

Second one is just quick fan art, been digging 40K since forever..

• lotet
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    Really nice, your improving!
  • Doodlok
    Offline / Send Message
    Doodlok interpolator
    @lotet

Seriously tho, wouldn't have posted and made it this far if it wasn't for people like you keep cheering up and encouraging me :D Thank you so much for always dropping by.

And regarding that, 1K VIEWS FOR THIS THREAD, WOOOHOOOOo!  I've been quite late on the updates for this forum because a lot of works I produce for class is either confidential (class material) or just studies, and between my civil service duty and bla bla bla.

Thought it would be time to give a twist in my material, so gave a shot at fantasy set! WIll probably colorize tomorrow.

AND instead of starting with usual "hello lovely people of polycount", Thank you lovely people of polycount for all your views :D
  • Doodlok
    Offline / Send Message
    Doodlok interpolator

Here's lil colored version! 

• Doodlok
    Offline / Send Message
    Doodlok interpolator

Quick one, came out of nowhere from a doodle :D

• lotet
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    Looks cool, remind me of dark souls a lot. I notice you have a tendency to stretch everything out vertically.

basically everything is super tall and skinny, I took your illustration and just stretched it about 10-20% horizontaly, and I think it looks way more natural.

• Doodlok
    Offline / Send Message
    Doodlok interpolator
    @lotet

I defninitely see the difference there. Still remember when you gave me feedback on my weirdly long and elongated anatomy, I think the problem is still lingering on my drawing habits. I'll work on the revision asap, and thanks for taking time to make the gif D: and dropping by everytime! I really really appreciate it :D 

Besides that, hellllo everyone! Been studying this and that, sorry for being away! A quick doodle in between my studies :D 

• Doodlok
    Offline / Send Message
    Doodlok interpolator
    Hello people of polycount!

Been away for a while because I was mortified by my anatomy (head) skills after I did the first one, so I started digging in some studies around heads and portraits. WIll probably only update you guys on quick portrait studies for a while now.

• EVF
    Offline / Send Message
    EVF polycounter lvl 3
    One thing is for sure, you have original ideas! keep at it!
    cheers!
  • Doodlok
    Offline / Send Message
    Doodlok interpolator
    @EVF

Thank you so much for your compliment :D it means a lot to me, seriously, because I was thinking whether my designs are just pure boring and copycat-ish recently.  

I remember visiting your thread, your works are phenomenal! I really love your dynamic environment works. Wish I'd reach such technical skill level after days of my grinding D: Thanks for dropping by and taking ur time to comment! 
  • EVF
    Offline / Send Message
    EVF polycounter lvl 3
    @Doodlok
    I love the priest looking guy you use as your ID pic.
    You're doing the CGMA classes, that's great! Will you be able to post the work you did? Once done?
    I'm nowhere near where I want to be technically wise, and probably will never be, just keep pushing myself, don't get comfortable and spend my days on either photoshop or with pencil and paper. the more you do it, the better you get :) I also spend quite a lot of time on artstation, my morning gut punch as I call it :dizzy:
  • Doodlok
    Offline / Send Message
    Doodlok interpolator
    @EVF

I'll see if I'd be able to post them, but most them are studies and technical stuffs so I'll try to cherrypick the fun stuff! And HOly snap yeah the artstation gutpunch. Everytime I think Im improving I just go there and the second it pops up I fall into mass depression again :D

Anddd to the rest of the polycount, hello! Since this is literally my improvement page, I'll keep uploading the studies of portraits I do to keep the record later : / THE ONE AND ONLY!

When I make these studies I mostly focusing on getting the proportion and volume right, and once I figure the shapes look ok I just stop there because the ultimate goal of making these is me trying to learn how face functions as a form. SO sorry for wobbly and chunky brushstrokes :D

• EVF
    Offline / Send Message
    EVF polycounter lvl 3
    your last two portrait studies are spot on, you def catch the person's likeness
  • Doodlok
    Offline / Send Message
    Doodlok interpolator
    @EVF
    hehe, thanks :D I always struggle when it comes to painting faces : /

Annd hello people of polycount! Just throwing some works I did today.  I really like the b/w one so ima develop it further.

Going for classic sorta vibe : /

• EVF
    Offline / Send Message
    EVF polycounter lvl 3
    oh yeah! that last enviro is promising, waiting for the dev
  • Doodlok
    Offline / Send Message
    Doodlok interpolator
    Whoop Whoop, hello people of polycount!

I've been sick the entire weekend so didn't really have time to work on stuff, so here's some lil development!  I really tried to push the fairtytale feeling to it while maintaining somewhat apocalyptic mood.

I might take a break from my composition spree and actually try to develop this as much as I can, but here's a lil color and composition preview.

@lotet Your feedback was so crucial, I actually realized I've never used green before in my works, so I tried to incorporate theme here :D

Edit: Now I'm thinking composition wise previous b/w one flowed better, as it sorta grounded the umbrella with the structure...
  • lotet
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    Hey you did it! colors! :)
  • Doodlok
    Offline / Send Message
    Doodlok interpolator
    @lotet yessss, hopefully it's gonna be a continuing trend :D

HEllo lovely people of polycount! More work, I had a LOT of fun working on this one.

• samnwck
    Offline / Send Message
    samnwck polycounter lvl 9
    Doodlok said:
    @lotet yessss, hopefully it's gonna be a continuing trend :D

HEllo lovely people of polycount! More work, I had a LOT of fun working on this one.

Looking really good man. I'm starting to get a better sense of scale and atmosphere as you go along. I like the warhammer tank (or at least that's what I assume). Reminds me of Jakub Rozalski's work, but I mean that as a good thing. 

The one with the orange umbrella my main critique would be the foreground felt very monotone, needed some more ground colors, some browns sprinkled with some gold/tan of dead grass. Also the sky seemed a tad oversaturated to me as well. Otherwise I liked it. 
  • Doodlok
    Offline / Send Message
    Doodlok interpolator
    @samnwck

hehe, thanks :D  Absolutely, I'm a huge fan of Jakub Rozalski's works (he's 1920s series is just frigging beautiful) so that is nothing but complement to me! And absolutely; that one I started off from black and white composition and kinda worked over it with layers and overlays so I definitely see how it looks bland. thank you so much for your feedback! I will definitely keep in mind.

Helllo, people of polycount!

New one and this one was a quick one, not looking too good but its all about the grind :D

• Doodlok
    Offline / Send Message
    Doodlok interpolator

Just more experiment with different styles and colors!

• lotet
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    Looking good, really like the composition in this last one.
    as always everything is kinds squashed and really tall, I think you could probably stretch it out 10-20% horizontally :P
  • Doodlok
    Offline / Send Message
    Doodlok interpolator
    @lotet
    Thank ye so much for keep dropping by! And yeah, now that you mention it I see it again D: I really need to keep my consciousness on edge from now on....

And its been like 3 days! Been working on this and that, but I decided to throw in some new brushes to my work, see how they work out...

Story goes, there was this furious Shiba who turned everything on his way to human marmalade...

• Doodlok
    Offline / Send Message
    Doodlok interpolator

Quick sketch, experimenting with neon colors this time D:

• Doodlok
  • Doodlok
    Offline / Send Message
    Doodlok interpolator
    DEAR PEOPLE OF POLYCOUNT

I'm not even sure if you even remember me, but I'm backkkkKK!!!! I've been gone for a long time, and grabbed couple of freelance gigs along the way. It only made me realize that I seriously need to get out of my comfort zone and really boost my skill. 

I decided that I've accomplished somewhat of a meaningful development along the way. I cannot post many works because Im mostly freaking out atm trying to manage my full-time military service with 2 freelance gigs, but here's little WIP piece I've grabbed in couple hours. So.. Not much to begin with, but here comes the constant updates :D I'll try to bring couple every week at least! 

• lotet
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    Glad to have you back :)
  • KerryAislinn
    Offline / Send Message
    KerryAislinn polycounter lvl 3
    Hey there, I went through your thread and it is really awesome seeing how much you have improved. You've improved a lot with anatomy but I thought you might find Ryan Kingslien's videos interesting. He really knows his stuff about anatomy. He works in Zbrush for a lot of his videos but I think it is fascinating and helpful seeing it sculpted in 3D. He explains the bone structures and some muscle structure too which is important to know if you want to be really good at it.  Looking forward to seeing some updates! 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9KXurSTAsM&list=PLDDjRBcsGp8aJqqQQrGNRPQyv7uCKIUGD
  • Doodlok
    Offline / Send Message
    Doodlok interpolator
    @lotet
    Glad to be back! I missed this place :D 

@kerryaislinn
     Thanks for your recommendation! I was learning Zbrush and Maya on the sideways anyway, and that video seems uber helpful to my learning. Thanks for checking in :D 

Andddd hello people of polycount! Not too significant of an update, but I got some WIP works and brush studies I can share. It's my first time playing with mixer brush and this is absolutely fantastic. 

• MykulJaxin
    Offline / Send Message
    MykulJaxin polycounter lvl 4
    Keep plugging away. Improvement takes time, right? Push yourself and do uncomfortable things (this is something I'm trying to do right now). Also, I know some of the posts are from awhile back, but I think you'd benefit greatly from cranking out some drawings of hands/anatomy in general.
  • Doodlok
    Offline / Send Message
    Doodlok interpolator
    @MykulJaxin
    Thanks for checking in! And I definitely agree with everything you said from pushing forward to me having issues with anatomy :D Im just constantly trying to push it further, please do come by and see if I get better.

Anddd hello people of polycount, I've been just jammering this and that but a lot of it are freelance stuff so I cant really post here, so I went through my photo album and found some pencil sketches I did during my trip in summer + pushed further version of what I was working on B&W :D