Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[UE4] Sci-Fi Corridor - The Unwelcomed Guest

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
alexk polycounter lvl 12
LATEST

-----------------------

Started up a block out of a sci-fi corridor in hopes to update my portfolio with more current looking art :P

I also wanted to try to create something without a concept. So far, it's kind of a mish mash of inspiration from Aliens Isolation, Unreal Tournament 4 Outpost level and other cool looking sci-fi art from Artstation.

Currently trying to figure out what I want to put at the end of the hall, instead of just repeating it

4irrKOtjpg
XUqUpg7jpg
82vZlyPjpg

Replies

• alexk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    alexk polycounter lvl 12
    Over the holidays I started doing some large form high poly shapes to replace the block out. I haven't touched the end of the hallway door yet nor the pipes and computer section. The flooring doesn't have a turbosmooth on it right now because I want to go back and tweak the shapes and/or change the look of it.

After the high poly initial pass, I'll do another pass on the high poly to add smaller details. Then make the final low poly bake and asset. Hopefully I'll have more consistent progress instead of having a two month gap :)

Quick 3ds max render:

• Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The door design is a bit boring at present. How about a window into space instead?
  • alexk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    alexk polycounter lvl 12
    Agreed, the door and end of the hallway needs work. But will also consider a window.. maybe instead of an end of hallway, it can be a T junction at the end where the window is. Thanks for the feedback!
  • alexk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    alexk polycounter lvl 12
    Started to bake out some of the assets and putting them into UE4. Blocking out some colors and materials. Progress is slow :)
    Still not happy with the design of the door and will need to redo it. I spent most of my time with the flooring. Did a quick lighting pass in UE4. High poly for the pipes and computers need to be done.

• macoll
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    macoll polycounter lvl 13
    The floor looks a bit busy imo...i guess it is a matter of taste but i prefer to see some nice reflections on the floor.

The overall scene looks cool ;)  Waiting for updates !

• alexk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    alexk polycounter lvl 12
    I detailed the walls a bit more, might adjust some of it later on. I slapped on the same mateials for the walls for now. I won't be working on textures until I've finalized my highpoly. I added some lighting coming from underneath the floor on the sides. I'm going to try out a more simple flooring

I also did a photobash (and color grading) of a suggestion I received to perhaps give my scene more focus and a story, The idea is to have the end of the hallway broken due to collision or shots from outside. Here's the photobash:

I think this looks pretty cool but I'm open to any thoughts. I can have floating debris and wires inside the corridor and other things. I think I'll move toward this concept
  • macoll
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Very good idea indeed....but still a lot of work to do i guess ;)
  • RasmusBagner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RasmusBagner polycounter lvl 6
    Really cool, especially the broken off part. Maybe add some decals, text, warning sign etc. For some reason i think some orange decal lines that go toward the broken off part would be fitting for the scene, to draw attention to that part. Also PARTICLES!!! you could make particles shoot out towards the exit hole beacuse of the vacume 
  • GameArtifact
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GameArtifact polycounter lvl 7

Hi alexk,

maybe I would try to model some other panels from ones you already have in order to vary a little your walls.

• alexk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    alexk polycounter lvl 12
    Changes:

- Opened up the end of the hallway
    - Created space skysphere
    - Created planet
    - Messed around with color tinting (not final)
    - Added some small elements to my photobash/concept

Going to block out the space ships next, then back to finishing up the highpoly and bakes for the corridor

Animated gyfcat of the planet:
    https://gfycat.com/QuestionableCompleteDiamondbackrattlesnake 

Current progress shot:

Small tweaks to photobash/concept:

• alexk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    alexk polycounter lvl 12
    Changes:

- Blocked in two ships, slapped on a random texture to it
    - Baked out ceiling light and one other wall divider/trim

I think the next main things I want to tackle is to fully texture something in order to set the quality and style for the rest of the modular parts. I also want to revisit the flooring and redesign it a little. I don't like my thing with the two red emissive lights, probably try to redsign it.

• macoll
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice update !  Love the new mood
  • The Rizzler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The Rizzler polycounter lvl 9
    Breaking open the end was a great idea, there's far too many generic sci fi corridors on Polycount as it is, this adds a lot of visual interest. Looking forward to the final result 
  • alexk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    alexk polycounter lvl 12
    Seems like I only have time to work on this during major holidays :blush:

Changes:

- Fiddling with lighting again
    - Added a grill top to the ceiling lights
    - Created the broken parts and some debris. There is no textures on the debris at the moment

Things to do next I hope:

- Continue with destruction elements, adding things like wires, pipes, structural stuff instead of just clean breaks
    - Need to make a ceiling
    - Add unique details to my modular wall pieces like a missing panel, cables spilling out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aTIAsqd4NCg
  • Polynaught
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Polynaught polycounter lvl 11
    Great scene. Though the planet looks very egg shaped - due to fov or a skybox issue?
    Looking forward to see your next geometry pass.
  • alexk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    alexk polycounter lvl 12
    Glad you like it! The egg shape is due to me scaling it like that, lol. Before the destruction, I couldn't really get the right look of it so I just squished it. I probably should fix that :) 
  • Gazu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gazu polycounter lvl 11
    Nice Work Alex!

Im also in the need of a Sci-Fi Environment, so im just stalking your Thread ^^
  • HAWK12HT
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HAWK12HT polycounter lvl 12
    Really loving this man, If I may just a  few suggestions 
    Add some damage marks caused by explosion or shrapnel on the left hand side of your scene. 
    Try removing the white halo light from the broken piece (off due to damage) 
    Lastly insert some cables, wiring or chassis like elements to your broken pieces it ll help sell the seriousness of your comp. 

All the best, looking forward for final one :) 
  • Kanni3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kanni3d ngon master
    Fantastic job! Definitely love the vibe this gives off, especially with the bright planet at the end being a focal point and a ligh source. I do agree, this needs a ton more damage, scorch marks, scrapes, leakage, etc...
  • alexk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    alexk polycounter lvl 12
    Thanks, glad you guys like it! Hopefully I'll have more time this year to finish it up! :smiley:
  • OctOstera
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OctOstera polycounter lvl 4
  • theblueturtle_
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    theblueturtle_ polycounter lvl 3
    Really dig the direction you decided to go with this. I'm curious as to how you approached making the planet/ skysphere. It's really well done.
  • alexk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    alexk polycounter lvl 12
    Really dig the direction you decided to go with this. I'm curious as to how you approached making the planet/ skysphere. It's really well done.
    I used this tutorial for the planet: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vq6Ftd8bziU

For the space skydome, I used Spacescape http://alexcpeterson.com/spacescape/ to create the texture and used this tutorial to setup in UE4 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JSRsQpRfDlk

Hope this helps!
  • theblueturtle_
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    theblueturtle_ polycounter lvl 3
    Ah sweet! Thanks for the share :)
  • gsokol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey this is great!  I love the shapes you have for the hallway.  Blowing a hole in the end is really neat.  I agree with others, you need to sell this more with burn marks, snapped wires, etc.

In addition to adding stuff to the blown out bit, I think you should add more debris, to the hallway itself.  It looks a little off putting for the hallway to be surgically clean, with a hole in the end of it. 

Can't wait to see where you end up with this.  
  • mcgillchris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mcgillchris polycounter lvl 4
  • bjornfred
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bjornfred polycounter lvl 5
  • alexk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    alexk polycounter lvl 12
    A recap of what has happened in the last few months, scroll down if you don't want to read :)

Since my last post, I was working on making the debris look better...

But I started to realize that my scene is just debris and destruction with no real focus. I got feedback from some friends and they felt that I had only half of a story in my scene. So, I thought about adding in an escape pod and adjusted my composition with that in mind...

Unfortunately, now my hallway slipped into the shadows in order to make room for the escape pod being the focus. I think that the escape pods was a good idea but it's meant to be it's own scene apart from my hallway. So, I adjusted my composition again and got rid of outer space altogether, instead focusing on the hallway as the main environment...

I saw this and I thought "Wouldn't it be awesome if I had some sort of Matrix style sentinel robot at the end?" I've never modeled a mech before but it would be a perfect hero prop and an amazing story element! What the heck! I'll try blocking it out and see how it goes...

So, finally, I'm happy with my composition and story with this scene! I will be blocking out the rest of the mech, do a high poly, bake and texture. And maybe... just maybe, I'll finally be finished with this scene, haha

• JLHGameArt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JLHGameArt greentooth
    Just found this thread. Seriously awesome looking scene. The mech looks great. Well composed cinematic shot, very dramatic and focused. Rest of the scene isn't distracting. I love it. Can't wait to see how it turns out.