Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[UE4] Bob's Burgers Restaurant

polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
Di$array polycounter lvl 5
Hey all!

I've been humming and haring on what my next project will be and I finally decided on going with Bob's Burgers as its one of the best things on TV now and would make a nice interior piece.

I wasn't interested in doing just bold colour with a good cel shaded post process, so my first thought was looking at different art styles. The first style that came to mind was Overwatch but that's kinda been done all over the place so I decide to go with another. After a few turns of the hamster wheel I decided on Life is Strange with its lose brush style textures and fantastic lighting.

I've worked my way through most of the assets (which you can see below) I'll need to create Bob's Restaurant. The plan is just to create the interior and exterior of the restaurant but its irritating me asthe building is just floating in UE4 so I may go ahead and do a partial amount of the street. Just so it feels grounded.

The nightmare I have faced so far is the layout. Since its a 2D show, the animators can take liberties with the layout of items or floor plans. If I was dictated by the outside shot of the building, the kitchen would be half the width that it is now. With no room for equipment, walk way, etc. So i had to take some liberties myself as you may have spotted by the exterior.

I'm currently in the process of importing and setting up the scene in UE4 as you can see.

Now I'm currently in the process of baking my maps. Sadly this poor machine is old so its taking some time. Updates will come soon.

Cheers

Replies

• Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The passageways in the kitchen and the restaurant itself feel a bit narrow, but otherwise this looks great!
  • JLHGameArt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JLHGameArt greentooth
    The passageways in the kitchen and the restaurant itself feel a bit narrow, but otherwise this looks great!
    I think it's the scale of the tables compared to the rest of the scene, they look huge, which is also causing this the tiny passageway between the tables and the bar.

Imagine a person sitting on one of those stools, then take that scale and compare how many could fit along one side of the tables. The seating equally looks too chunky to me.

Looking at some of the top view images though it may be the camera settings making those tables look so big to me, difficult to tell.

I love everything else.
  • bigodon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bigodon polycounter lvl 8
    can't wait to see more of this :)
    looks pretty busy of props, you will have some serious work to do here

keep going!
  • Di$array
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Di$array polycounter lvl 5
    Michael Knubben - Yeah you're right it does appear narrow but I kinda like it. Still got a few kitchen equipment to finish up in 3D. Thanks

JLHGameArt - Good eye, I was getting tunnel vision with them I think. After pointing them out I noticed I was a bit heavy handed when it came to the low poly too, so I remade them. They are lower down now so it should read better. Thanks.

bigodon - Aye you're telling me but I'll get through them easy enough. Cheers.

Well I'm making progress; the lighting is still shite but I'll revisit that at the end of the texturing phase. Got enough assets with some test textures to convince me to push on further with the Life is Strange art style. On to the pictures....