Home Digital Sketchbooks

Sketchbook: SSebelius

SSebelius
null
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
SSebelius null
Hi everyone! 

It was about a year and a half ago that I decided to start drawing. It grew out of my desire to bring characters from the novel I'm writing to life - and there was no way to do that but to actually draw them myself. I then realized I actually love drawing :) I'm very new to this sort of thing and a good friend suggested I post my work on here so that I can get good, constructive feedback. 

So, I'll be posting things here, drawings already completed and new ones as I finish them, and would love for you all to give comments and feedback. 

Thanks for stopping by :) 

Replies

• SSebelius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SSebelius null
    This is one of the very first drawings I made - and it shows. I mean, at the time I was pretty pleased with it, but I feel like I've evolved a bit since  then (I sincerely hope so!). One of the characters from my novel: Rowan. Some words that I associate with him would be: strong, fierce, sharp, proud, protective. I'm mainly posting this here so that it can serve as a starting point for my journey! 

• SSebelius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SSebelius null
    Another "old" or early one. As you can probably see, I had trouble making this character look much different from Rowan (pictured above). It's still difficult to make each one unique but I feel like I've evolved there as well. Here are two other characters: Lórian (facing us) and, the main character, Rae (back towards us). I might try to re-make this one at some point. 

• SSebelius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SSebelius null
    This one is a WIP. Mainly because it's taking so damn long to finish - I don't even want to admit how long I spent on each dragon's head! I started it last Summer and haven't worked on it for several months now. Fairly pleased with it, considering I'd never drawn anything like it before, but could be better in many ways. I will finish it at some point though xD

Here we see another character from my novel: the Prince of Darkness upon his throne. 

• Elithenia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Elithenia polycounter
    Keep on going, you'll get there :) 
  • SSebelius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SSebelius null
    This one is a few months old. It is also from my novel (shocker), featuring two characters that shall remain nameless so as not to spoil any potential plot event ;) Just as a disclaimer: all these scenes won't necessarily actually *happen* in the novel - but they are all ones I've seen in my mind. 

• SSebelius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SSebelius null
    This one is also a few months old - novel characters, again. If anyone has any tips or tricks for how to make some good skin color, I'd appreciate it. Not going near that again anytime soon xD 

• SSebelius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SSebelius null
    Now this one's hot off the press - just finished it today. It's "finished" but also kind of a WIP. Coloring is one of the hardest things, I think, but it was important to at least get her hair done. As my skill improves I'd love to go back and give them actual skin color but, for now, this'll have to do. 

Also: the man in this photo is Rowan - the same man that I drew in my very first sketch listed here. I'd say he doesn't look *quite* as wooden and bland now but that might just be me :) 

• Elithenia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Elithenia polycounter
    I think it could be good for you to have a look at some facial proportions.
    I notice that you have quite a large back head for example. 

Some good ones I can recommend:

• SSebelius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SSebelius null
    Thanks Elithenia! 
  • SSebelius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SSebelius null
    Here's a small update. As per Elithenia's suggestions I've done some practicing of the basics of the head. I feel like the proportions are better on this one than on previous sketches though there are still plenty of areas of improvement: shading, hair, etc. Practice makes perfect :)
  • Elithenia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Elithenia polycounter
    This can be a nice video series to watch for hair https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpMZ8bo1Jz8