Home Technical Talk

Modelling Stretched Fabric

Hello

Apologies if this is in the wrong area, however I am trying to model a aircraft fuselage. The rear of the aircraft is made of a wooden structure with a stretched fabric skin over the top. I am trying to recreate this surface but every attempt looks too solid and lumpy. AI find that I try changing the loops to match the wooden structure underneath but this then alters the profile of the fuselage. I wondered if I should try to add this to my normal map through a separate model perhaps?

any advice would be great. 

Thanks

Replies

• YannickStoot
    Offline / Send Message
    YannickStoot polycounter lvl 3
    Are you modeling for Render or for Games?
  • adamblackmore
    For render mostly so the normal map isn't essential to be honest but it's the method I thought of using. I don't have any real experience in sculpting software so I haven't tried that route either.  Thanks 
  • YannickStoot
    Offline / Send Message
    YannickStoot polycounter lvl 3
    I'm not sure if sculpting would make it much more easier. I would go about this in either of the following methods:

1 - Model the underlying structure. And create the cloth with MarvelousDesigner. You can then choose to render a normal map or use the raw geometry. This way you get a realistic looking piece of cloth versus a generic which you might get with HP modeling.
    2 - Model the main shape through hard surface modeling (this is what I think you have been testing). Then bang it up a bit in Z-Brush and make it look like cloth. When the geometry looks the way it should you could take it to Substance for the materials and extra details.
    *Programs I mentioned are examples, could be replaced by similar ones.

I don't know if you are familiar with Marvelous but the learning curve is not as steep as with Zbrush. So even if you are unfamiliar with it you might want to give it a go. It will open a new world in your modeling abilities and increase your quality greatly!
  • adamblackmore
    Thanks so much for your advice. I was getting frustrated with the results. So you reckon using Marvelous would yield best results? Can I then export as an obj or equivalent? Thanks again 
  • thomasp
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    i don't see how marvelous would make much sense to use here? there's not an awful lot of defined folds i can see in these pictures at least. what kind of humongous avatar mesh would you have to use to get anything worthwhile out of it? marvelous depends on real world scale to some degree. :)

what's wrong with just modelling it in sub-d and either giving it a sculpt pass or use bump/displacement to create irregularities if creating them in sub-d itself is not an option?
  • adamblackmore
    Ah ok thanks for your reply. I had tried the sub d route but only on the original mesh. I found that the results see a bit naff as it was following the topology of the airframe not the underlying wood structure. Perhaps I should dip my toes into sculpting and use a proxy mesh to get those ridges. Thanks again
  • musashidan
    Offline / Send Message
    musashidan high dynamic range
    I agree with @thomasp you could sculpt several variations on a plane and extract normal/disp maps and uv the fabric proxy panels to suit. Plus this would be a great opportunity to get your feet wet on a bit of sculpting (a vital aspect of modeling imo)