Home Career & Education

Realistic or Stylized?

andadeng
polycounter lvl 2
Offline / Send Message
andadeng polycounter lvl 2
Hi all, are there more realistic art style kind of game jobs or stylized? it looks like being an realistic character artist is easier to find a job, right?

Replies

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [Deleted User] insane polycounter
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    Get good at either, and you'll find a job regardless.
  • Kevin Albers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kevin Albers polycounter lvl 18
    In AAA games, more jobs are for realism.  In mobile, more jobs are for stylized.  
  • heyeye
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    heyeye polycounter lvl 6
    There is no job, only Zuul.
  • PixelMasher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    be self aware, do what speaks to you. what's the point of getting a job doing photo real characters if you are going to be bored and end up burning out. Figure out what you are passionate about and hammer on it until you are a badass and jobs will be offered to you left and right.

people around here seem to have the mindset of what is the easiest route into a game job. That's basically asking "whats the bare minimum to scrape by"

Change your mindset from I have to apply at 10 studios and maybe get in a 1 of them.....to...... How do I get so good at doing what I am passionate about, I have 10 recruiters contacting me a month and I can pick and choose the job I really want, or turn them all down with zero worry.

Figure out what really speaks to you and produce work at increasingly better quality until you achieve your goal. It's really that simple. looking for a shortcut or the easy route is the best way to waste time that could be spent executing towards your goal.

Not only that, but you are going to be lumped in with the hundreds of others looking for an easy in, all competing for the same 20-30 entry level character art positions posted each month. If you have an amazing level portfolio that demonstrates your passion, you will literally be vaulting over the people trying to just get in, and have people approaching you. Clearly demonstrate your value and what you are really passionate about  and you won't need to worry about surface level questions like this. now go out there and kill it :)