Home Technical Talk

Unpopular opinions -- get it out of your chest

hero character
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
Macebo hero character
In this thread you'll make highly subjective claims without the fear of being acused of taking personal opinions as facts.
(You are protected because this thread already presumes that they are products of personal points of view) 
So just drop your personal anguishes in here. 

I'll start:

- Fingerprints does not automatically make your model more realistic;
- Photoshop effects mimicking dusty lens or dusty environment neither;
- Chromatic aberration is rarelly used properly;
- Displaying texture sets overlaying each other sounds cool and all, but it's weird and hard to read;
- Wooden barrels, fire hydrants etc. or any other "despised" model, while not that appealing, can actually be a good portfolio piece if modeled/textured properly;
- Environment art is underrated by gamers and the media in general;
- Artstation is becoming biased towards certain categories and styles when picking artworks;
- Artstation is becoming DeviantArt;
- Bacon is not that great.

Crucify me.

Edit: you are expressly prohibited to contradict anyone in here. You either agree and express that one's opinion is not so unique or you don't agree and silently accept that what you just read is a personal opinion.

Replies

• carlobarley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    carlobarley polycounter lvl 9
    you should learn the fundamental
  • R3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    R3D interpolator
    XSI is the best and I miss it.
  • ThatOtherGuy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ThatOtherGuy polycounter lvl 4
    All righty then, time to burn my reputation:

-Doesn't matter how good your portfolio is: if your a terrible person I don't want to work with you.

-Artstation's layout looks like it was designed by a schizophrenic chipmunk.

-Blizzard Entertainment's art style is a cancer that needs to be removed. Seriously every game that tries to copy it's style is admitting it's defeat in terms of art direction.

-Stylized Armor should not be as thick as a Abraham's Tank. It looks silly.

-Quake 1 will always be the superior one of the franchise, nostalgia or not.

-Rather see people put in one to two hours of good practice than shove in eight hours and burn themselves out.

-Were not artists, were designers.

-Adding tons of shit on your character does not make it interesting. Good design and theme does. Rather see a good Byzatine Cataphract than the next god dam over the top space marine.

-Gundams and Battle Tech are the superior robots of the world.

-Just because your the exception does not mean your the rule.

-Rather see people create their own creations than do fan art. Quality doesn't matter in this, show me your creativity if you call yourself an artist!

-Rabid angry developers are at times more despicable than angry rabid fans (see Digital Homicide)
  • Cibo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cibo polycounter lvl 10
    Unreal 4 Engine is Bullshit - lack of Realtime Solution or POM Shader still Missing since years. The engine as no nextGen Qualities.
    The lack of Editor stability and a ton of Hidden Checkboxes spread in X Menues suck.
    Lightmass sucks and Swarm Agent dont like Firewalls

Blizzard is no AAA Studio Anymore. Overwatch, Heroes of the Storm, Heartstone a good games but no AAA Productions.
    Diablo3 was awful until Addon and Starcaft2 sucks compared to Starcraft 1. Now they make a Remake.
    Blizzard is total boring in my eyes.

Modo Package. The lack of performance and stability kills the application. Mesh Fusion is nearly useless. Holes and dense Mesh which i only useful for another Mehsfusion but no traditional modelling. Maya interactive Booleans are more fun.
  • JedTheKrampus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JedTheKrampus polycounter lvl 8
    Gin and tonic is superior to whiskey. Keeps you from getting scurvy too
  • MiAlx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MiAlx polycounter lvl 10
    i think this thread is weird
  • samnwck
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    samnwck polycounter lvl 9
    When I see someone post about how they're unable to get into the industry and I click their profile and the last time they posted any art was 2014, and their portfolio link is dead, or is live and looks like work a high school student did (not a dig on some of the super talented high school students I've seen post here before)
  • heyeye
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    heyeye polycounter lvl 6
    Gin and tonic is superior to whiskey. Keeps you from getting scurvy too

• Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gone on long enough. Polycount is not your blog. Less words more art pls thx kk bye.

This discussion has been closed.