Home Technical Talk

Retopo after texturing?

GuanAndOnly
polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
GuanAndOnly polycounter lvl 6
Hey folks, but I was wondering if y'all have a good way of retopo-ing something after you've already started texturing?
I had a medium-poly asset that I got partway into texturing before going back and realizing that the topo is inefficient af.
I haven't been able to adjust the topo without altering the uvs, even if I don't touch the seems at all.  :(

Replies

• GuanAndOnly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    o wait it seems like it only fucks up when I use target weld  :p
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You can always bake your old mesh/uv's to your new mesh. You'll likely lose some sharpness, but it could serve as a decent enough base to keep working on!
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Typically what you would do is make a copy of the mesh, uv it, and then bake the textures from one mesh to the other.
  • Portgas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Portgas triangle
    You could try transferring uvs in Maya via mesh> attribute transfer. You place one mesh on top of another and it transfers the uvs from one mesh to another. You can also transfer vertex positions etc. this way.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    Typically what you would do is make a copy of the mesh, uv it, and then bake the textures from one mesh to the other.
    Could that be a feature added to the Toolbag baker in the future? The ability to bake all the maps from one mesh to the other in one click would be awesome. That could also lead to new pipelines, like a library of fully textured pieces for kitbashing.
  • GuanAndOnly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the quick response guys! Had a feeling it was something that simple but I'm not too familiar with the whole baking pipeline haha. I'll give it a shot. c:
    Portgas said:
    You could try transferring uvs in Maya via mesh> attribute transfer. You place one mesh on top of another and it transfers the uvs from one mesh to another. You can also transfer vertex positions etc. this way.
    This sounds like something that'll save me a buttload of trouble, especially since my saves for most of the iterations of my asset got messed up and I was only left with the fbx of what I'm making lol. Gonna look into this, thanks dud! 
  • sprunghunt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sprunghunt polycounter
    if you were using substance painter you could just re-import a new mesh with the new geometry. 
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    if you were using substance painter you could just re-import a new mesh with the new geometry. 
    Yeah, that's a great feature but it will only work for procedurals or painting you've done inside painter. When I need detailed strokes I paint them in 3DCoat or Photoshop and import it as a mask into painter and those masks won't update to new UVs.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oh wow, I just found out Toolbag already bakes those maps from the high. It doesn't bake the normal map though.
  • lordkc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lordkc null
    Portgas said:
    I wanted to say... THANK YOU.

I retopped my mesh about a week ago which helped with sculpting and getting good normal map detail. I also used baking to transfer the image data to the new uvs and I thought it looked decent. Then today I had to get rid of a seam (I left the head alone during retop so it still had its original uvs and original texture data) and realized the baking process blurred my textured data way too much (so i had a visible seam between the sharp detail of the head and the now blurred texture of the neck). I spent hours fiddling with the settings in map transfer to try and eek out some of the original detail back and couldn't.

Then I finally revisited this thread and thankfully saw your post. I just did a quick attempt at transferring the UVs from old mesh to retopped mesh and it looks damn identical to the original mesh when textured. Obviously the UV layout isn't as clean as it once was but I'm fine with that since I won't be painting anymore texture data myself and I couldn't find any seams generated by the process.

Thanks again!