Home Technical Talk

Unpopular opinions -- get it out of your chest

hero character
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
Macebo hero character
In this thread you'll make highly subjective claims without the fear of being acused of taking personal opinions as facts.
(You are protected because this thread already presumes that they are products of personal points of view) 
So just drop your personal anguishes in here. 

I'll start:

- Fingerprints does not automatically make your model more realistic;
- Photoshop effects mimicking dusty lens or dusty environment neither;
- Chromatic aberration is rarelly used properly;
- Displaying texture sets overlaying each other sounds cool and all, but it's weird and hard to read;
- Wooden barrels, fire hydrants etc. or any other "despised" model, while not that appealing, can actually be a good portfolio piece if modeled/textured properly;
- Environment art is underrated by gamers and the media in general;
- Artstation is becoming biased towards certain categories and styles when picking artworks;
- Artstation is becoming DeviantArt;
- Bacon is not that great.

Crucify me.

Edit: you are expressly prohibited to contradict anyone in here. You either agree and express that one's opinion is not so unique or you don't agree and silently accept that what you just read is a personal opinion.

Replies

• almighty_gir
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    Heavily peated Scotch is overrated - Whiskey has a wide range of flavors, not just campfire smoke.
    You shut the fuck up right now!!!
  • Sk0LLiE
    Offline / Send Message
    Sk0LLiE polycounter
    -Craft beer is over-rated. I want beer that tastes like beer.

Yes.
    Craft beer almost uniformly tastes like arse. Give me a proper oldschool German recipe beer any day.

The Logan film.. man, I did not enjoy it at all. :/

• JordanN
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanN interpolator
    Meh, not enough "unpopular" opinions me think.

-I think there's nothing wrong with props looking clean or having flat colors. I understand wear and tear is apart of life and the grunge definitely adds some history. But adding grunge for the sake of grunge honestly makes me think the art is not going to be looked on fondly in the future. Kind of like how last gen, every game wanted to show as much bloom and lens flare to prove "See! We can be realistic too!" but aesthetically, that's all your eyes were drawn to instead of the entire composition.  

-Overexposed images can be just as impressive as non-exposed ones. Though I understand it can be more irritable on the eyes, but it's that effect an artist may want where the contrast screams at you.

- Deep saturated colors shouldn't make an artwork more cartoony or unrealistic. Not everything has to look like Black Hawk Down which has a very sepia filter, but it's still a movie.

-I think the best character art, whether it's 2D or 3D, are the ones that show variety in body types. I'm surprised in the selection criteria for character artists, we do not see a blurb mentioning can you draw or model humans who are small/skinny, to being average/moderately built to more extremes like very muscular or fat. This also applies to genders. If you make 5 female characters, are they all just the same generic skinny type? Instead, offer up more designs that can be both fantasy but also mimic real life proportions. Speaking of which.

-More diversity in skin color please. I do not understand why anyone would want to restrict themselves to showing only one race in their art. And no excuses about "only this race belongs here". We got dragons and aliens showing up in every timeline, when does having a dark skinned character become unbelievable or distracting? 
  • kimmokaunela
    Offline / Send Message
    kimmokaunela ngon master
    I have something in my chest too:

- Watching someone else playing VR games doesn´t mean you know what VR is.
    - Making only ZBrush sculpts doesn´t mean you know something about 3d in general.
    - Beginners making speed modeling is 9/10 a bad idea.
    - Using something like Quixel Suite does not mean you know PBR.
    - Buying stuff from Unity AssetStore is a bad idea!
    - ArtStation is now like a F2P game where you can rank up by paying money.
    - Game jams are not the right way to make games or anything. Stop it!
    - Making procedural tile brick texture in SD does not mean you are ready to be a texture artist.
    - People are too social nowadays. Introverts are forced to be super social for some odd reason.
    - Lighting is the most important thing when it comes to environments.
    - Stop asking how many polys models are. HW is powerful enough to render millions of those.
    - There´s no point of making portfolio pieces that runs 0.1 FPS in hi-end. If you don´t know how to optimize then it doesn´t matter how good it looks! Aim for 30 or above.
    - If you don´t know how to take or give feedback, stay away from social media. Seriously!
  • sacboi
    Offline / Send Message
    sacboi high dynamic range

kimmokaunela said:

- Game jams are not the right way to make games or anything. Stop it!

- If you don´t know how to take or give feedback, stay away from social media. Seriously!

Lolz, the best two "subjective claims" yet listed on this thread! (...BTW counting this one as well)

• Prime8
    Offline / Send Message
    Prime8 interpolator
    - raw pork tastes awesome (correctly prepared)
    - Episode 7 is crap
    - Star Citizen looks absolutely awesome, but no fun at the current stage using HOTAS
    - Belgian beverage (they call it beer) is disgusting, why the hell is that stuff famous internationally?
    - I love Blender's GUI, which other would copy some stuff 
    - Ledger as Joker is overrated
    - Pandas suck and are not even cute
    - a few big levels don't automatically create openworld settings
    - linear games can be fun
    - games don't look photo realistic, no matter what the package says... how much budget and time would you need anyway to achieve that
    - Picatinny rails on futuristic weapons are terrible
    - Mothra is awesome!

• fdfxd2
    Offline / Send Message
    fdfxd2 interpolator
    - mechanical keyboards are too loud
    Doesn't the loudness depend on the switches?
  • Elithenia
    Offline / Send Message
    Elithenia polycounter
    - Demanding time management from beginners is not a bad thing.... learning how to plan things for an upcoming deadline to get the work done will help in all situations!
    - Not willing to learn retop/UV/Baking because 'others' can do that... and learning sculpting anatomy is too much anyway... And getting annoyed because they can't get a job.
    - Asking others to do your job because you didn't plan it out ahead and prioritised drinking and having fun nights out instead of actually doing the work required to get a degree. 
  • RustySpannerz
    Offline / Send Message
    RustySpannerz polycounter lvl 13
    I think the worst part of this thread is that I see something I really want to +1 and then they say something I really disagree with. :( 
  • low odor
    Offline / Send Message
    low odor polycounter lvl 17
    internet points don't make your opinions valid
  • EarthQuake
    Heavily peated Scotch is overrated - Whiskey has a wide range of flavors, not just campfire smoke.
    How it took this long for someone to respond to this I have no idea.
  • Elithenia
    Offline / Send Message
    Elithenia polycounter
    Probably not many sophisticated whisky drinkers? :P 
  • pigart
    Offline / Send Message
    pigart polycounter lvl 6
    thomasp said:

- blender 2.8 will be hard af

too many abbreviations in your list! SP2, SD, ...? which language is this?

but first - what's "hard af", do tell! :)

It means METAL AS FUCK

Also,
    -I sometimes like microtransaction because it let's me look cool and pretty ingame without putting in much effort
  • heyeye
    Offline / Send Message
    heyeye polycounter lvl 6
    Die hard isn't a christmas movie.
  • VelvetElvis
    Offline / Send Message
    VelvetElvis polycounter lvl 12
    Kawaii metal is the pinnacle of all other heavy metal genres.

The drink of choice is and always has been Mad Dogg 20/20, everything else is piss water.
  • StephenVyas
    Offline / Send Message
    StephenVyas polycounter lvl 18
    heyeye said:
    Better put down that Snickers bar, because you're talking nuts
  • heyeye
    Offline / Send Message
    heyeye polycounter lvl 6
    heyeye said:
    Better put down that Snickers bar, because you're talking nuts
    Speaking of chocolate... The shape changes to the Toblerone bar was a great idea.
  • Sir Apple
    Offline / Send Message
    Sir Apple polycounter lvl 8
    -Artists, or really anyone in the game industry who promotes the idea that crunch is somehow a positive & beneficial aspect of working a gig. Its not, this is especially true for studios who are seemingly in a perpetual crunch cycle. Your being fucked by poor management whos job is to avoid such lack luster scheduling, and who should hold enough foresight to notice large red flags that scream "you have an unrealistic scope for this project, tone it back or expand deadlines". Sadly its unavoidable at almost all studios now days. Though the sadder part is artists who accept it and make excuses regarding it. You're not helping the industry at all, rather you are setting an even worse precedent for the next group of ding-a-ling producers/management to try and top with an even more atrocious project schedule/scope. I've never been part of a crunch that didn't occur because some dunce dropped the ball along the way.

• sacboi
    Offline / Send Message
    - Without a doubt 120 proof Grappa will get you legless FAST! everything else is tonic water, in comparison. 
  • Joopson
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    Sir Apple said:
    -Artists, or really anyone in the game industry who promotes the idea that crunch is somehow a positive & beneficial aspect of working a gig. Its not, this is especially true for studios who are seemingly in a perpetual crunch cycle. // You're not helping the industry at all, rather you are setting an even worse precedent for the next group of ding-a-ling producers/management to try and top
    Absolutely. Any game artist who thinks crunch is beneficial or "good" is misguided. It's hard, at this point, to imagine it going away completely, any time soon, but studios with a "crunch" culture absolutely need to go away. And if studios aren't willing to be good to their workers— of their own accord— regulation, or perhaps a union, could do it.

It's one thing if you fall behind, and need to work some hours to make up for your own failing. But the workers shouldn't be the ones who have to make up for management's bad planning. The timeline of the project should constantly be evaluated, to remove the "need" for crunch. And if workers were more willing to say no to crunch, more realistic timelines would be set.

I know some people who have been afraid to say "no" to crunch, because they thought they might get fired for it. That's not cool or acceptable.

If it can't get done during full-time work hours, we shouldn't be so willing to give up our own time. Doing so lowers our wages, and the wages of all other game industry workers (because the vast majority of companies don't pay extra for extra work).
  • RyanB

Kawaii metal is the pinnacle of all other heavy metal genres.

The drink of choice is and always has been Mad Dogg 20/20, everything else is piss water.
    I saw Zeke in Tacoma and we drank MD 20/20 and Nightrain before the show.  MD 20/20 is a fighting bum wine but when the Nightrain hits you it will force you to lie down for 15 minutes.
  • danr
    Offline / Send Message
    danr interpolator
    @Sir Apple  
    @Joopson

precisely why I raised it as an 'unpopular opinion' further up the thread. The mind-buggering complexity of project management needs more appreciation from all quarters. What seems like a simple solution from one persons point of view, in all likelihood probably isn't simple at all, and in each case would take a lot more than a generalised forum response to explain why. A fuck load of different problems to solve, and a fuck load of different outcomes to balance, not all of which are going to be favourable for everyone. Basic absolutes don't apply, and devs need to be careful about flinging accusations of simple incompetence. I'm not saying this doesn't happen, it does, I've seen it. But it's not the default. 

This is from someone thats most definitely worked both sides of the fence. I was very much a victim of crunch culture as an artist. Destroyed me. I've also had to plan projects of upwards of 2 million dollars and a fixed release window, where the success of the game and crucially people's livelihoods are at stake with every carefully worked out eventuality, every educated guesstimate, and every wild stab in the dark - which sometimes, just sometimes, is all you can do. As I say, bastard hard. 
  • Jesse Moody
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    Fuck your feelings.
    Polycount isn't your personal blog.
    No one cares if feedback hurts your feelings. Seriously grow up.
    When you get a job in the game industry stop treating everything like your own personal portfolio pieces. You are a tool and that is it. Don't get pissed when someone changes your stuff.
    Chances are you don't know half the shit you think you know.
    I hate what Polycount has become as it gained popularity. 
  • Sunray
    Offline / Send Message
    Sunray polycounter lvl 7
    -Maya is the best if you use blender please stay at least 5 meters away from me.
    -Use the damn metric system America.
    -Deadpool is a fun movie I don't want to see over a 1000 crappy deadppols, and to the one person that named his DeadppoI come on dude.
    -I'm sick of seeing all the sd brick walls.
    -I'm tired of seeing characters with shitty eyes get somelife into it.
    -Teachers please don't call your self a teacher if you can't teach.
    -STOP USING RED WAX MATCAP

-Motion blur is awesome.
    -Zbrush has the best UI.
    -Maya unwrapping is nice.
    -Baking in substance painter feels weird and should be avoided at all cost(Give me some od that Knald).

- I DON'T UNDERSTAND THE LEVEL SYSTEM ON POLYCOUNT.

@SirApoolo
    I'm sorry but I do like to spend an unhealthy amount of time behind my laptop carefully retoping whatever shitty sculpt I made.To the point where it's driving me to question how I ended up doing this with my life. And going to bed and repeating the very same cycle when I wake up.

@Prime8 Here in the Netherlands we're going to pay over a million euro to China for those nasty pandas.

• Squals
    Offline / Send Message
    Squals polycounter lvl 5
    Handpainted.... means painting your textures by hand, only textures....

no zbrush, no high rez baking, just straight up PAINTING BY HAND in 3d coat or PS...

ok back to work now
  • Fuiosg
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuiosg polycounter lvl 5
    Sunray said:
    -Maya is the best if you use blender please stay at least 5 meters away from me.

-Zbrush has the best UI.

• Macebo
    Offline / Send Message
    Macebo hero character
    Fuck your feelings.
    Polycount isn't your personal blog.
    No one cares if feedback hurts your feelings. Seriously grow up.
    When you get a job in the game industry stop treating everything like your own personal portfolio pieces. You are a tool and that is it. Don't get pissed when someone changes your stuff.
    Chances are you don't know half the shit you think you know.
    Pretty good reality check. This should be pinned, force fed for newcomers who thinks that:

- 1) everything he'll do in his life he have to have someone holding his hand, motivating him and showing him the "right" way;

- 2) that the products of his work are a mirror of his own self; hence, any critique to his work is consequently a personal critique, a critique to his own self.

Instead, it should be a representation of his work at a certain time of his life -- not a reflection of his essence or finished self. In fact, we are never finished beings, but "to-become" beings.
  • Eric Chadwick
  • JordanN
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanN interpolator
    I think it's extremely important the industry starts fostering a new "generation" of game designers & art leads. It's an extreme example, but I look at the Japanese game industry as a bit of a warning sign of why this matters.  Too much trust in the old guard and their way of doing things has made them resistant to change, especially in the face of constantly evolving market pressures. It leads to parroting out the same games, the same ideas, the same artstyles etc which I don't think is healthy.

As game development costs continue to rise, there runs a risk of the talent becoming more insular like in Japan's example.
  • Ave
    Offline / Send Message
    Ave polycounter lvl 4
    This thread delivers
  • Macebo
    Offline / Send Message
    Macebo hero character
    tl;dr
    @Eric, don't leave us without saying some of your unpopular opinions!
  • Eric Chadwick
    That was my unpopular opinion; don't blink or you'll miss it. ;)

Less words, more art.
  • Macebo
    Offline / Send Message
    Macebo hero character
    That was my unpopular opinion; don't blink or you'll miss it. ;)
    So this is a critique applicable to all big threads?
  • Eric Chadwick
    Oh gawd. My rank is Admin in red and I guess I can't escape that.

But really my tl;dr just applied here, to this wordy thread. 

If it applied to the rest of Polycount, I'm sure we'd all be the better for it.

But hey it's a community. You do what you gotta do!
  • sacboi
    Offline / Send Message
    "It's Not Easy Being Green"
  • ArNavart
    Offline / Send Message
    ArNavart polycounter lvl 2
    Sunray said:

-people, who make software their god, should stay at least 10m away from me :D
  • ActionDawg
    Offline / Send Message
    ActionDawg greentooth
    Gun models are almost always boring.
    Real world gun models are always boring.
    Arch-vis in offline rendered art is easy and contrived.
    Most games are barely games.
  • Joopson
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    somedoggy said:
    Not saying I agree or disagree, but I'm curious what you mean. In what way are most games barely games?
  • ActionDawg
    Offline / Send Message
    ActionDawg greentooth
    Joopson said:
    somedoggy said:
    Not saying I agree or disagree, but I'm curious what you mean. In what way are most games barely games?
    Most just don't have enough complexity and interplay for my liking. Less tic-tac-toe, more chess!

Not to say that I want complexity for the sake of it, but I'd take a game that tries to do something new and intriguing and even fails on a number of fronts over one that's polished to T but simplistic any day of the week.
  • Kwramm
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    Joopson said:
    somedoggy said:
    must be talking about MMO grind. Sure feels like work at times
  • myclay
    Online / Send Message
    myclay polycounter lvl 10
    choosing Blender instead of purchasing and fully diving into XSI was in hindsight a wise gut decision.
  • Sunray
    Offline / Send Message
    Sunray polycounter lvl 7
    @ArNavart Maya is the one and only true god.
  • Burpee
    Offline / Send Message
    Burpee polycounter lvl 9
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bBsKplb2E6Q

I hate people yelling " You should learn the fundamental ! " all the time. Learning the fundamental is most of the time useless if you want to do game art, I mean why the f do you want to study the master if you want to do props for dying light ?
  • ActionDawg
    Offline / Send Message
    ActionDawg greentooth
    Burpee said:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bBsKplb2E6Q

I hate people yelling " You should learn the fundamental ! " all the time. Learning the fundamental is most of the time useless if you want to do game art, I mean why the f do you want to study the master if you want to do props for dying light ?
    You absolutely should because general art and especially design fundamentals teach you better than anything else how to manipulate form and shape. You can come into those on your own with practice, but that's an uphill battle nobody should take.

For example, I learned fuck all my second year at art school. The game design program was a joke, where I knew more than my teachers (one of them couldn't bake a normal map correctly). My drawing, design, color theory, and art history courses of my first year pushed me to open my creative eye and taught me things that would've been much more difficult to learn on my own. You can find the same resources online, but to ignore them and not practice them is a surefire way to never improve.
  • Popol
    Offline / Send Message
    Popol interpolator
    Burpee said:

Some opinions are unpopular for a good reason...
  • ledyr
    Offline / Send Message
    ledyr polycounter lvl 7
    - Reading novel books doesnt make you smart, its just like watching Californication on Netflix. it doesnt matter if its Dune or twilight.

- the same with reading shit like Jobs biography, you wont be any smarter after it, just more annoying.

- 3D industry is like cancer, slowly killing us. Computers!. Gym 3 times per week wont fix it. Its not worth it if you think about it long enough.

- Our work is totally meaningless, Porn is much more important in the world

- Dont feel bad about yourself and you life, just do what makes you happy. You will not be remebered anyway. forget about all youtube coaches, TED talks and smart articles on linkedin. Accept crappy you.
  • Stinger88
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinger88 polycounter
    Burpee said:

People yell this?... All the time?...

Anyway. I smell sarcasm...

• Macebo
    Offline / Send Message
    Macebo hero character
    ledyr said:

- 3D industry is like cancer, slowly killing us. Computers!. Gym 3 times per week wont fix it. Its not worth it if you think about it long enough.

- Our work is totally meaningless, Porn is much more important in the world

- Dont feel bad about yourself and you life, just do what makes you happy. You will not be remebered anyway. forget about all youtube coaches, TED talks and smart articles on linkedin. Accept crappy you.

In my idealistic early days this would have shocked me. Now i kinda of like the idea of being a nobody, slowly vanishing as microscopic grain of dust in the vastness of the universe. It makes you more humble and humanistic towards anyone, because you comprehend the human condition.
  • ActionDawg
    Offline / Send Message
    ActionDawg greentooth
    Kwramm said:
    Joopson said:
    somedoggy said:
    must be talking about MMO grind. Sure feels like work at times
    never touched an MMO after a middle school stint with runescape back in the day :P that shits a mind and money trap.
  • Hito
    Offline / Send Message
    Hito interpolator
    Is this a cleverly disguised purity test? I feel like a stalinesque purge is coming on.
This discussion has been closed.