Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Character Art test

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
Topperr polycounter lvl 6
Hi,

So I've just finished an art test for a role at a games company, the brief given was quite broad in that it asked me to create a 'realistic character from scratch in 5 days without a piece of concept art. 
I just wanted to post the final result and get some feedback on what I can do to improve.

The aim is to revisit it in a couple of days so I can look on it with some fresh eyes and hopefully act on any feedback. I started to run out of time with the texture maps so really want to get stuck in there and fix some of the material definitions.

Thanks

Replies

• lotet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    geez....5 days is a tight schedule.

also, have you checked or asked if its okay for you to post the art test?
  • Topperr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Topperr polycounter lvl 6
    Hey, yeah it was quite a tough schedule but it was a good challenge trying to get everything done in those 5 days due to that I've been playing around with the textures since and trying to get the materials to have a bit more definition and to put some more detail into the face.

Yes I've checked that it's ok for me to post the final piece.
  • pmiller001
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pmiller001 greentooth
    So how'd it turn out?
    I'm looking for some advice and experience on the forums before I make my own thread
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    That's a dumb prompt
  • JohannesAg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JohannesAg greentooth
    A realistic character in five days with no concept? damn that´s a pretty tall order. Good job actually managing to finish a model in that time
  • slosh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slosh hero character
    To me it sounds like that studio doesn't understand how long these tasks are supposed to take lol.  I take it you didn't get in but from the sound of it, that might be a good thing.  A realistic character from scratch can take anywhere from 3 weeks to 3 months depending on the fidelity.  5 days with no concept is an absolute joke.  That being said, I think you did a decent job with the time you were given.  My main thought is that your sculpt is solid.  Of course it would be nice to get more detail but given the time constraint, that's what I would expect.  Where your character probably falls short is the texturing.  The materials definitely need work as well as a more proper wear and tear pass.  The red sweater for example looks a bit shiny when it should read matte and fluffy.  All of your materials look very pristine as well.  I think with a more in depth texture pass, this could be a solid piece.  Oh, and take the time to rig, pose, and do really nice renders!
  • Larry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Larry interpolator
    Well when they say from scratch In five days i think it is acceptable for you to tweak another character you already had. That being said, they propably wanted you to have a library as well, that is why they gave 5 days. Did they specify human character? Does 'realistic' imply human only?
    Nobody cares if you had an asser remade as long as you deliver and it is likeable. The result matters
  • pmiller001
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pmiller001 greentooth
    to those that have taken tests, how long did you have to wait to hear back, generally?