Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

3 Week Solo Environment Student Work 2017 High to Low Workflow

polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
Mogyie polycounter lvl 5
 Hi everyone its been a while since I last posted on here I just want to share something really special with all of you, for the last 3 weeks I have worked many late nights producing what you see here from concepting to final polished model, unreal engine polished model and short presentation reel for the model, This model was heavily inspired by the fallout series by Bethesda and I wanted to make something in dedication for them as part of my uni project assessment, I cant imagine that I managed this in 3 weeks all using Maya, Substance Painter, UE4, Adobe Premiere and some beautiful music from Ink Spots, I really hope you enjoy and please leave me a comment for anything to try and improve on, cheers.
Poly Count 5 Thousand Triangle Limit on projects.

Please watch the following Project Movie below by clicking the link i promise you will not be disappointed.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V34gacC3abE

Final Model In UE4
This was one of the fun parts putting in lighting, node animations, particles and doing a turntable when in game mode making some blueprints and working on flickering of bomb light and mushrooms. Getting the goo to drip by animating the texture was also really fun. Had so much fun on this project and looking to have more fun on my next project.

Working In UE4 snapshot

Before Lighting just finishing up in substance painter.

Substance Painter working snapshot

Maya Final polished model snapshot

Maya block out model snapshot

Concept based on

Thank you for looking at my work I really hoped you enjoyed the movie and really hoped you enjoyed my final piece.

Replies

• fearian
    Offline / Send Message
    fearian greentooth
    Fun diorama! The presentation is quite nice, especially the effects and animation that bring it to life.
    I have to say though that all the models in the scene look very very low poly for the textures and presentation. You didn't mention if this was targeted at mobile specifications but I'm assuming it wasn't. A good example is the bomb itself. This is your hero asset, the most important thing in the scene, but there aren't enough poly's on it to give it a proper curve. The light as well looks like something that was designed to be round, but has come out as a straight hexagon.

If your interested in doing some final polish now that the scene is wrapped, I recommend adding some loops and rebaking. oh and congrats on finishing the whole thing in such a tight deadline! :)

• Mogyie
    Offline / Send Message
    Mogyie polycounter lvl 5
    Thank you @fearian I really appreciate the feedback I did forget to mention that I had a poly limit for this project of a 5 thousand tri limit I tried to make everything look good but it was really hard given the amount of tris I had to work with but I will definitely take your feedback and readjust everything everything to make it more smoothed and defined, as a portfolio piece i really appreciate the feedback thank you :)
  • fearian
    Offline / Send Message
    fearian greentooth
    Ah right! I'n that case I think you hit it nicely :) 5k is pretty darn low!
  • Mogyie
    Offline / Send Message
    Mogyie polycounter lvl 5
    @fearian thank you heaps i will defiantly polish it up more for my portfolio thank you for the feedback it will go along way.
  • Cglewis
    Offline / Send Message
    Cglewis polycounter lvl 12
    I think this looks pretty cool the lay out is nicely done.
    If you are trying to keep the polycount low, look at your edge flow and really focus on silhouette if the edge doesn't effect silhouette then you can get rid of it to free up some space. I have had good results putting a chamfer of 2 on hard edges  that will have your normal maps but other than that its a fun little piece 
  • Mogyie
    Offline / Send Message
    Mogyie polycounter lvl 5
    thank you @Cglewis
    I really appreciate the feedback i look forward to looking at some of your examples anything to really help push it up more, thank you for the support. Cheers