Home Technical Talk

Unpopular opinions -- get it out of your chest

hero character
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
Macebo hero character
In this thread you'll make highly subjective claims without the fear of being acused of taking personal opinions as facts.
(You are protected because this thread already presumes that they are products of personal points of view) 
So just drop your personal anguishes in here. 

I'll start:

- Fingerprints does not automatically make your model more realistic;
- Photoshop effects mimicking dusty lens or dusty environment neither;
- Chromatic aberration is rarelly used properly;
- Displaying texture sets overlaying each other sounds cool and all, but it's weird and hard to read;
- Wooden barrels, fire hydrants etc. or any other "despised" model, while not that appealing, can actually be a good portfolio piece if modeled/textured properly;
- Environment art is underrated by gamers and the media in general;
- Artstation is becoming biased towards certain categories and styles when picking artworks;
- Artstation is becoming DeviantArt;
- Bacon is not that great.

Crucify me.

Edit: you are expressly prohibited to contradict anyone in here. You either agree and express that one's opinion is not so unique or you don't agree and silently accept that what you just read is a personal opinion.

Replies

• MissMaddyTaylor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MissMaddyTaylor greentooth
    *personal opinion* I don't feel the urge to post on Polycount anymore because it feels outdated :/
  • valuemeal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    valuemeal polycounter lvl 6
    Unpopular opinions huh? I have quite a few believe it or not . Angry dudes have appeared in many threads I have made when I was trying to figure out why certain titles were held in high regard and even threats were made, which was out of sorts. I am not sure if this is the best place to air one's grievances, but here goes.

-Tough guy games/ meat games are products of their time and become forgotten relics once the console cycle has become complete. With a couple of exceptions (Doom, Halo,etc.)

-Fellows get angry when you make up terms despite almost absurd gaming terms are used on a daily basis (Peel, gank, hero shooter etc, as opposed to meat, woodland, and CMS, )

-Mobas are games of anger that draw folks in with addiction and promises of false glory via the ranked system

-People say sprites are a cop out, but in fact they are the voice of a generation

-tough guys hold the market share of this site, there are no console mascot fellows about, 
    (Majority of them are 2D only and only post on tumblr for some reason)

-Games that are primarily multiplayer are lonely games for fellows without those to play the game with 

-Many people say it's their way or the the highway and if you aren't making things like the studio that they claim is number one you are a no good fellow who won't find anything.

-MMOs promote unhealthy lifestyles -Taking advantage of the console embargo is a dirty tactic

- PC games from what I have seen don't seem to have the catchy beats that console mascot games and rpgs posses

- PS1-PS2 area was a great era in video gaming where innovative titles like Magic Pengel were a plenty 

-I miss the old console wars in which companies tried to beat each other with add ons 

-PC gaming is a strange market.

-People seem to want ideals in games instead of odd heroes

-Making ideal characters makes unrealistic standards irl

-There are many yes men about. 

-Woodland games are very dull in color palette and content

- People think that everyone goes to this site, yet many people have never even heard of this place

- Titles should inspire people, not addict

- Playing things on the phone is silly; phones are for calling not all this other jazz

-Who in their right mind would buy cosmetics when a game is free? (I just hate it when money goes down the drain)

-"Gamer" shouldn't be an adjective to describe someone, that's weird
  • Fuiosg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuiosg polycounter lvl 5
    I'm sick of seeing Overwatch fanart
    what's with hand painted textures and having even specular highlights?
    keanu reeves is a good actor
    Western AAA games are retreading themselves, whereas I feel Japan is making a comeback

• JordanN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanN interpolator
    Iwata was right about graphics. The game industry should have stopped after the PS2/Gamecube/Xbox. 

• ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Sharpen filter is over used and looks terrible most of the time. 
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    In and Out is crappy fast food. It's barely any better than McDonalds. Eat a real burger sometime you morons.

Heavily peated Scotch is overrated - Whiskey has a wide range of flavors, not just campfire smoke.

Vodka sucks balls. Instead of putting something flavorless in your drink to pretend like you're not drinking booze, try something that actually tastes good.

Canadian Whiskey sucks too. It's like Whiskey-flavored Vodka. What the hell Canada?

Craft whiskey is almost universally garbage. It might be good in 4 or 5 or 8 or 10 years when it has had time to age properly.

Bacon is great. If you disagree you probably have shitty bacon in Brazil or whatever third world country you live in. That said, most people could stand to calm the fuck down about it.

Steak at most restaurants is fucking awful. Seriously, who the fuck puts some sort of runny sauce on top of a nicely seared steak? Why it's so hard to cook a god damned steak properly is beyond me.

Oh was this supposed to be about game art?

Your zbrush hardsurface work sucks. Really, it does. Just stop.

If all you can do is sculpt turds in zbrush you're not a game artist. Learn to lowpoly/uv/bake.

Stop with the boob armor fap models. Seriously. Do armor, or do a bikini, but don't try to do both, it's always embarrassing cringe worthy bad, even if you're a badass artist.

"Prop/enviro artists" learn to set a fucking scene. Modeling a dumpster or a fire hydrant isn't bad, but filling your portfolio with renders of these mundane objects floating on a blurred background with crappy lighting isn't doing you any favors. Set a scene, convey context, tell a story.

Same goes for character artists. I swear to god Larry if I see one more fucking t-posed render in your portfolio...
  • Blond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blond polycounter lvl 9
    Animation matters more than visuals in games.

• ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Blond said:

I agree, smooth animation and a high frame rate is much more important than graphics and effects. 
  • Blond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blond polycounter lvl 9
    ZacD said:
    Blond said:
    I agree, smooth animation and a high frame rate is much more important than graphics and effects. 
    Unlike high polygons counts or 4k textures, animation is tightly knight and straightly connected to game play and player's interaction, yet many studios still put animation quality aside when making their stuff, even for aaa projects...

But shhh.let my ninja post rest stealthy in the shade on this thread, last time I said that, people here ptiched froks at me...shhh
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    To me the most important parts of animation is 1. Making NPCs not look like cardboard cutouts. 2. Grounding the characters by having them move through levels in realistic ways. 3. Blending between animations/interactions seamlessly. 

The tech behind animation might actually be more important to me than the animations themselves. Overgrowth for example has a lot of great animation tech, that allows great blending between moving, jumping, combat, and ragdolling, even though the walk cycle looks a bit awkward.
  • radiancef0rge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    radiancef0rge ngon master
  • Macebo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Macebo hero character
    - Far Cry 2 is the best Far Cry. Everything criticized about it is actually what makes it good: no fast travel, no UI map, no holding your hand etc;

- The problem with zombie games is not within the theme itself, but with it's execution. Few zombie games are actually good;

- Motion blur is completelly pointless and adds nothing to a game;

- Stop crying about bugs in Bethesda games. Does a floating ghoul really ruins your experience? Come on...

- Character artists should stop everything they're doing and make me a good interpretation of Raziel from the Soul Reaver series.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Macebo said:

- Stop crying about bugs in Bethesda games. Does a floating ghoul really ruins your experience? Come on...

I'll just cry about them making the same game over and over again since Morrowind with the same issues. 
  • thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    substance painter - not a 3D texture painter. masking of pre-made materials and suitability to do rushjobs - i'll give it that. for anything else, get out of my face with the software. this thing don't paint. kthxbye!
    UI nightmare, too. now i'm finished!

• stickadtroja
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stickadtroja polycounter lvl 11
    Macebo said:
    - Character artists should stop everything they're doing and make me a good interpretation of Raziel from the Soul Reaver series.
    this.

also, every studio who makes open world games with vehicles in them; trow away your setting and make it cyberpunk instead. where is the fith element game with gta 5 engine that the world is waiting for?
  • Joopson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    I don't have any unpopular opinions.

But if I did, it might be these:

- David Lynch is overrated
    - Fight Club is overrated
    - The mods and admins at polycount are cool
    - I think games aren't yet that culturally relevant. They'll get there, but they aren't there yet. Still a young medium, with so much room to grow.
    - I don't like social media

• Stinger88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinger88 polycounter
    Nier automata spawned a whole bunch of upskirt shots and fan art that is quite frankly, a bit disturbing. Games industry , Please stop creating these characters.
  • Amaury
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Amaury polycounter lvl 7
    Zbrush's UI is really good and not crap nor confusing.
  • marks
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    marks greentooth
    95% of games have aesthetic styles / art direction which is derivative, uninspired and just boring
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    open office plans are not the silver bullet for productivity (and there's actual research to back this up!) - but they're great at cramming a lot of people into a tiny space (just look around).

...although I still hope the industry is just lagging behind in appreciating contemporary research in ergonomics and people will eventually see the light (yes, yes, I'm an optimist)
  • NoRank
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NoRank polycounter lvl 3
    Overwatch is a good game in terms of art and gameplay but as a competitive game it's not worth the money (pls blizzard, more co-op stuff since you guys can't handle your community in a positive way).

Please stop with this "everything is oversexualized" stuff, it's just annoying. 

3DS max is not dying.
  • sacboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sacboi high dynamic range

Well for me it's this 'thing' people seem to have against Blender's UI, which I find so utterly fucked-out IRRITATING whether implementing it's embedded game engine or not.

I've noticed more than a handful of less than favourable discussions on that *subject* both here and other akin CG biased sites on the Net.

I mean for fuck's sake if YOU have such a beef, then dammit SUPPORT your opinion with a clarified EXAMPLE of the supposed issue, rather than simply tossing a backhanded limp wristed snipe into the conversation - thankyou very much.

An attitude mainly typified by the following comments.

(NOTE: first of all...imagine if you will these muppets whining their collective weebly "concerns" in a high pitched nasally tone of voice, similar too Fran Drescher of the TV series "The Nanny" or better still Maggie Wheeler, who played Chandler's main squeeze 'Janice' on the 90s hit sitcom "Friends" ) 

Ahem! (*clears throat*)

"It's keyboard + mouse functionality is 'programmer' centric"

"Blender doesn't adhere to common UX standards"  

"Blender utilises non-standard UI elements"

"They don't use a standard UI toolkit"

"It's keyboard shortcut controls SUCK!"

...or these fucking gems:

"You need a tutorial video to understand how to close a pane, and even then it's hard. That has got nothing to do with 3D modeling being hard. It could've been a word processor and it would still be terrible."

"Blender is simply bad UI-Design. It has nothing to do with a learning curve. I ve used alot of open source software, and the UI is usually the equivalent to english-aristocratic mansion, where every late addition is glued to the main house like a little bay window. And the first strange keyboard and control preferences (can we put a terminal in for that), will be forced down your throat."

...or indeed this fucker

"It takes 6 clicks to make a cube instead of two, like in Max or Maya - thx"

AHH...feeling better already getting that shit off my chest :)

• RustySpannerz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RustySpannerz polycounter lvl 13
    - Devs, not every game needs to be open world. I don't want to sink 300 hundred hours into your terrible GTA clone. Give me a 20 hour linear experience and I'll be happy. Or semi-linear or not even linear at all. I just don't need a huge open world with 300 damn sidequests... 

- Character art bores me. No offence to character artists, but environments are so much cooler! 

- Those Pop Figures are stupid, who buys them? But they somehow take up an entire wall at my local comic shop... 

- Photoshop is really starting to feel antiquated. 
  • Elithenia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Elithenia polycounter
    - That if you're a character artist you cannot like environment art... or vice versa. Art is art. Cool art is great no matter what pipeline it is in.

- That realistic means EITHER 'Photo-realistic' or 'realism'. They are not mutually inclusive, nor mutually exclusive.... meaning that yes they can occur simultaneously... but they don't have to. 

- That 'realistic' graphics are better than anything else.... which one do you mean? See above. 

- That the art of the game is the only thing that makes a game great. This gets on my nerves soo much (especially since I'm working with students learning how to create the art......) Games tell a story. Learn to tell it well, and to make it fun to play. 

- T-posed models for presentation. Learn the art of composition to get a good presentation shot!

- Having to tell 3d students that they should learn to draw anatomy in 2d to gain an understanding of it. Or to learn perspective drawing... so that they can tell when something is off in 3d. Or to just do some studies of whatever they are doing, before launching into a big project... 

- I prefer looking at the art of StarCitizen rather than playing it

- Playing a MOBA for fun with your friends, rather than just spending hours and hours trying to go up the ranking system.. but not having fun. 

- RTS genre games are not dead.

- FPS's does not create psychopaths. 

- The war between the 3d Program users. 3dsMax, Maya, Modo, Blender, Cinema4D.... seriously guys? Realise that you're all doing the same thing, but just using different programs! One might fit better into your workflow, but another guy is using a different workflow.  Same thing with Zbrush vs Mudbox. 

- TV is a waste of time.... ok this is definitely personal :P #Workaholic

- Knitting is cool and very relaxing

- Sugar is bad for you

- Fish is awesome food
  • fearian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fearian greentooth
    Being a games artist is a job and a career, not a lifestyle.

Material possessions can make you happy. I feel happy holding my nice bag, my nice keyboard.

Now this is a wierd one:
    you should be able to stand on a sink, a towel rack. hang from a door. Sit on the corners of desks, lean on fences - fucking everything that inevitably breaks because someone fell on it should support the weight of an adult human. This includes dining tables, arms of sofas, bookshelves if I had my way. There are so many reasons for this that it feels like personal design philosophy to me.
  • fearian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fearian greentooth
    Asking someone what brushes they use or where they got their software are valid questions. Pretending they aren't is just acting like you where never a newbie trying to figure out what resources are available to you.
  • Elithenia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Elithenia polycounter
    fearian said:
    Now this is a wierd one:
    you should be able to stand on a sink, a towel rack. hang from a door. Sit on the corners of desks, lean on fences - fucking everything that inevitably breaks because someone fell on it should support the weight of an adult human. This includes dining tables, arms of sofas, bookshelves if I had my way. There are so many reasons for this that it feels like personal design philosophy to me.
    More things that break = More money to the business that sells them

And that brings me into one more thing.
    Buying new things when thinks that break can be fixed.... Why not try to fix it before buying new things? Or make things that are sturdy and not break as easily?
  • fearian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fearian greentooth
    Elithenia said:
    And that brings me into one more thing.
    Buying new things when thinks that break can be fixed.... Why not try to fix it before buying new things? Or make things that are sturdy and not break as easily?
    Well arguing against my own opinion lol... Time and then money. I spent hours and hours trying to fix the same broken headphones with no joy. And I have a bunch of shitty IKEA furniture because its cheap

:( that's life I guess!
  • Stinger88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinger88 polycounter
    If you don't feel like a fraud sometimes, there's a chance you aren't as good an artist as you think you are.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    I hate The Fifth Element
  • Francois_K
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Francois_K interpolator
    Oversexualized stuff is becoming increasingly boring 
    Artstation really is becoming Deviantart
    Asian anime/manga type characters on Artstation with mostly showing upskirt , schoolgirl dress and pany shots are also getting increasingly boring.
    Doing artwork only for likes and follows is sad
    Ghost in the shell is an awesome movie
    Mis-representation of different cultures on Artstation ( i.e. Native-American girls being completely white and having upskirt shots etc. )
    Don't put raisins in bread and have chocolate chip bread next to it at the bakery. You fucking monster.
    So many patreons which promote NSFW and SFW fanart, yeah...ok.
  • fdfxd2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fdfxd2 interpolator
    Okay, I'll bite

TBH the opinions you listed don't seem like they'd be that unpopular

- I think the rise of "competitive" gaming is bad, TF2,CSGO and Overwatch were great before they started drawing lines in the sand.

- the dunning kruger effect is the worst thing ever.
  • Fuiosg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuiosg polycounter lvl 5
    Stinger88 said:
    Nier automata spawned a whole bunch of upskirt shots and fan art that is quite frankly, a bit disturbing. Games industry , Please stop creating these characters.
    yeah. I mean is this BDSM fantasy what passes for character design these days?

• fdfxd2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fdfxd2 interpolator
    Artstation really is becoming Deviantart
    I completely 100% disagree with this

have you seen deviant art before?
  • Tekoppar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tekoppar polycounter lvl 10
    Steam's early access is complete and utter garbage.
  • stickadtroja
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stickadtroja polycounter lvl 11
    Ghost in the shell is an awesome movie
    Mis-representation of different cultures on Artstation ( i.e. Native-American girls being completely white and having upskirt shots etc. )
    i feel these two contradict each other. (havent seen the movie though)

• Fuiosg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuiosg polycounter lvl 5
    Tekoppar said:
    Steam's early access is complete and utter garbage.
    Yo this thread is for unpopular opinions.
  • radiancef0rge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    radiancef0rge ngon master
    I thought the point of this thread was for people to shit post and have no one reply, why is everyone quoting to each other. 
  • Ashervisalis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ashervisalis grand marshal polycounter
    - Marriage is an outdated practice that doesn't provide a couple with any actual benefits aside from some tax benefits which can be achieved through simple common law.
    - Aerith (FF7) was strong but her character was too wholesome for me to want Cloud to be with her.
    - UE4 has an annoyingly toy-like interface.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [Deleted User] insane polycounter
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Handwiches
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    - Doubling down on the UE4 interface comment.
    - Itch.io is more enjoyable than Steam these days.
  • fdfxd2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fdfxd2 interpolator
    Hell yeah
    who in epic thought it was a good idea

"- Marriage is an outdated practice that doesn't provide a couple with any actual benefits aside from some tax benefits which can be achieved through simple common law."

eh.... is it really?

I think it's just a way to ensure that a kid grows up living a somewhat decent life
  • Macebo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Macebo hero character
    I have more: 

- 3ds Max modifier stack, instead of being seen as the future of modeling, is seen as antiquated and something that we have to outgrow in favor of destructive workflows;

- Hearthstone, while currently inaccessible to new players, is not pay to win. Git gud;

- Thomas Jane was the best Punisher; the rest after him is garbage;

- Superman is the most boring superhero ever;

- Gingers have souls, like all human beings.
  • Mstankow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mstankow polycounter lvl 11
    -Overwatch has terrible character designs. The quality of the art is good and well made but those designs look like everyone is trying way too hard to be cool.
  • killnpc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killnpc polycounter
    Star Wars is over-rated. Science fiction should introduce new ideas.
    Sharing unpopular opinions makes you a foothold target for advancing ones career.
  • Fansub
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fansub sublime tool
    - This thread is a mistake, but i don't know if that's an unpopular opinion :/
  • Ashervisalis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ashervisalis grand marshal polycounter
    @fdfxd2 Hah, yeah, I get a lot of flack for my marriage opinion, especially from my gf's mother and my own. I'm under the idea that you can be just as faithful and committed to someone without the government issuing a piece of paper and having an expensive party.
  • Macebo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Macebo hero character
    I don't understand why people take this so seriously...

Unpopular opinions means that they are not shared by the majority of people -- it does not mean that they are destructive or thought to hurt anybody. At least it was not what i intended in the first place :/  
  • Tekoppar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tekoppar polycounter lvl 10
    Fuiosg said:
    Yo this thread is for unpopular opinions.
    How do you define popular and unpopular opinions?
  • Handwiches
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fansub said:
    - This thread is a mistake, but i don't know if that's an unpopular opinion :/
    I don't see much wrong with this thread other than people taking it too seriously. I hate reading a ton of cynical comments via twitter/facebook more than on a subsection of a forum. I've stopped playing a lot of games I was enjoying a lot, because somebody was comically cynical on facebook about the game, soured my mood, and made me feel dumb for liking it.

This thread is so much less destructive imo, because you have to go out of your way to come here. I think it's interesting to simply discuss biases, which I think was the point of this thread. It's an open discussion, unlike a general "fuck this thing" spewed out on twitter.

edit: if you disagree with me, that's cool, forums are for discussion. I'm genuinely interested.
This discussion has been closed.