Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[WIP] Fury's Horse, Torment - Darksiders Fanart

polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
Caiterade polycounter lvl 3
Howdy! 

If all goes according to plan i'll be making Fury's mount from Darksiders, Torment. Neither are shown in game but they appear for a hot second in the comics.

Feedback welcome. I have no idea what i'm doing :'D Taking him to 3d now.

Replies

• Caiterade
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Basemesh! (Made by me.)
  • JLeeD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JLeeD polycounter lvl 3
    Hey! Looking good so far. The main thing that stands out to me is that the legs feel too chunky, but I actually think it might be that your proportions are off. It's quite hard to tell as it looks like your perspective is off in your 3d application, but I think the head is a wee bit small.

Spreading the front legs a little may also help as they look like theyre going into each other a bit too much at the moment. Good luck! Keep it up!
  • Caiterade
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JLeeD said:
    Hey! Looking good so far. The main thing that stands out to me is that the legs feel too chunky, but I actually think it might be that your proportions are off. It's quite hard to tell as it looks like your perspective is off in your 3d application, but I think the head is a wee bit small.

Spreading the front legs a little may also help as they look like theyre going into each other a bit too much at the moment. Good luck! Keep it up!
    You're correct :D First order of business is tweaking my basemesh. I love the pecs on the second horse. xD 
  • Caiterade
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Paintover i did. Trying to feel out how i want to stylize the body. Torment's more lithe than the others so trying to find a balance of sleek/joe mad to complement Fury.
  • Caiterade
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Did some more noodling on the body and i'm happy with where it's at now.

• chrisradsby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chrisradsby polycounter lvl 14
    Really liking the style you have going here ! Nice work so far, looking forward to seeing more!
  • Caiterade
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Really liking the style you have going here ! Nice work so far, looking forward to seeing more!
    Thank you!
  • Caiterade
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Destroyed my basemesh and all the details and possibly any benefit of using it in the first place  :p

Got a good roadkill vibe going
  • Caiterade
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Today's progress. Cleaned up the basemesh and adjusted the proportions

• Caiterade
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thinking his face needs some redesign  because it's reading pony.
  • Caiterade
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Caiterade
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Caiterade
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Today's progress on the muscling! Still have to hit the back legs.
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I actually prefer the more angular face of two posts up, but then again I don't know much about horses/ponies, so you may be right.
    I do think you should move his head forward, as the current pose doesn't feel natural at all. If you look at the reference you've posted so far, the neck usually goes much further out.
  • Spoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spoon polycounter lvl 11
    This could become brutal!
    I personally prefer the super sayian hair over the emo girl hair, but im not sure what you are aiming for exactly :)
    Going to keep an eye on this!
  • Caiterade
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spoon said:
    This could become brutal!
    I personally prefer the super sayian hair over the emo girl hair, but im not sure what you are aiming for exactly :)
    Going to keep an eye on this!
    Hah! I'm making him for the goku expansion pack. Death and War must band together to stop Goku and Vegeta from destroying Narnia. I'm making his hair flat down so i can pose it later, me thinks? I'm not familiar with the character pipeline. It seemed more versatile to have it down vs up. I don't know if you remember this horse from HOND...

C'mon. He just looks like a dick. But also majestic! I want the long segments of hair so it can do pretty flippy stuff in motion. I'm being a bit sexist but Fury doesn't look like a straight up melee girl so i interpreted her horse to be more lithe and elegant than Ruin and obviously less dead than Despair. 
  • Caiterade
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I actually prefer the more angular face of two posts up, but then again I don't know much about horses/ponies, so you may be right.
    I do think you should move his head forward, as the current pose doesn't feel natural at all. If you look at the reference you've posted so far, the neck usually goes much further out.
    I got some good feedback that going more realistic and just punching up the muscles would be a better route. I wasn't happy with how it looked when it was that extremely stylized. Seems like the horses (War, Despair, Abyssal Rider's mounts) were made with the best attempt at retaining proper anatomy as they could, and just exaggerating the proportions... so that's the route i'm taking now versus going almost caricature. I'll try bringing the head out from the neck a bit. I think that's a good suggestion, sounds like it'll be better for rigging and retopo too. I hadn't noticed how much i scrunched it
  • Caiterade
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Waaaah. Changing how his muscles look so he teeters back onto the stylized side by punching in major attachments more and defining the groups with dam standard in a way suggested to me by a buddy. So far i've been concentrating on the front end so i can figure out my target. Building it up realistically helped SO much. Horse shoulders are really intense structures. Still feel like i shouldn't go heavy handed on the muscles, but it could just be a comfort zone thing. I'm sorta just feeling it out. He's neither as dead as Despair or as muscular as Ruin. Happy middle? ><
  • Caiterade
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Did a bit of sketching on how i want the hair to look. More on the long/whispy side.
  • Caiterade
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Blocked out my major hair shapes again. Saw his back legs were out way too far and tucked them in and they feel way better. Lengthened his hooves a bit to match Despair's better, but they still feel a little funky to me (I made 1 and duplicated all over to see how the shape worked, hence the obvious repeating nicks.) But at least his emo hair is worked out lol
  • Caiterade
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Carved out some of the structures in the knee and back legs. I consider the front legs 85% done. I still see some areas that could be softened and some where i can dig in more. The tufts need to be refined. I freed the elbow off the body a bit for ease of animation. 
  • Caiterade
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think i prefer this armor. Its based on irl parade tack.  Gonna block it out and see how it looks in 3d 
  • theStoff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    theStoff greentooth
    Lookin good! Definitely feeling like it fits the universe. I would say though that I'd expect more sharp creases and plane breaks for the target style. Right now everything is a bit soft. Looking at this example there are a lot of flattened areas. For instance the tops of the muscle fibers are polished and have creases at dramatic angle changes.
  • Caiterade
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    theStoff said:
    Lookin good! Definitely feeling like it fits the universe. I would say though that I'd expect more sharp creases and plane breaks for the target style. Right now everything is a bit soft. Looking at this example there are a lot of flattened areas. For instance the tops of the muscle fibers are polished and have creases at dramatic angle changes.
    Yeah, you've got a point! I'll def start playing with morph targets and chiseling him a bit more after i finish blocking his armor out :3
  • Feashrind
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Feashrind polycounter lvl 5
    I really loved the Darksider games. Good job on the modeling so far, can't wait to see the finished version of this!
  • Caiterade
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Started his little feetsies :3 THE HAIR IS SO FUN
  • Caiterade
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey! Small update. Well, not really small, but alot of slight changes to the anatomy.

- Figured out his eyes! That was super hard. Horses don't have brow ridges or any real form of expression with their eyes so i referenced the sketch Joe Mad did of Ruin and ran with it.

- Fixed the forms on his hindquarters

- Added details to the hooves

-Rearranged the fur on his feet, still need to be polished and dynameshed on.

- He has a mouth and teeth now! I have to make them pretty. 

• Caiterade
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

I ended up changing the direction of his design. Now he's got a holy crusader theme. Still noodling to see what i like as far as the bridle and breast ornament. But i think im sold on his saddle and flaps. 

Heres the 2d plan:

• Dragonar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dragonar polycounter lvl 10
    wow you really made a great job ! I like it !!! keep it up !
  • Caiterade
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dragonar said:
    wow you really made a great job ! I like it !!! keep it up !
    Thanks bub! It's definitely a slow process lol
  • Caiterade
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Figured out how i want to do his mane. I think i need to go in and polish the ends some more so they're not so noodly? Saddle details are being added in :D
  • Caiterade
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Refined the hair a bit more and added in the fabric panels Not too sure how to do fabric folds convincingly...i'm all ears if you've got a suggestion.
  • Tomtegubbe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tomtegubbe triangle
    That's a cool horse is it going to have a rider? :smile:
  • Elithenia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Elithenia polycounter
    Details are starting to look nice! 
  • Caiterade
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That's a cool horse is it going to have a rider? :smile:
    Oh, i forgot if i put a picture of her or not. I made a bit of 'lore' for him. 

So his rider was given definitive concept art and appeared in the comics - but their horses weren't the definitive horses in the comics. Just bland generic horses. So her steed was never defined and there aren't any hints given anywhere. 

I actually reached out to one of the concept artists on both games, Avery Coleman! He was super nice. I always feel really uncomfortable asking concept artists for design suggestions because it's almost asking for free work..so i just asked how they felt about what i had. He suggested that i didn't have a strong one-word theme to my horse, and i need to push a theme harder. SO! Perusing the wiki a bit...
    • Fury is also the only horseman without an obvious correlation (other than horse color) to the traditional Four Horsemen, she replaces Famine who only wields weighing scales.
    So she's the calm one, she's the most visually different one from the bunch. Thought it'd be cool if she had a horse that totally reflected that, right? Weighing scales -> balance...kinda jumped to themes of justice and divinity and thought it might be cool to have a horse that looked heavenly instead of a demon, like the others. So his armor and aesthetics are heavily referenced from the main angels Azrael, Uriel, and Abaddon. I figure it could have been a gift from the heavens to the horsemen as they were appointed to their roles. I think it'd be cool to fray the fabric and ding up the armor so it'll still have that horsemen vibe but yeah :3 So he doesn't look like an immediate fit for Fury just based on her visuals but i think the origin story would suit her. Probably way more than you wanted to read but i -LOVE- game lore. Love love love stories. I wish people would do big character write ups with all their posts. Love me some good backstory.
  • Caiterade
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Elithenia said:
    Details are starting to look nice! 
    Thank you :3 My tedious noodling is paying off
  • Caiterade
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dudestein said:
    The main trick to cloth is 
    1. decide what specific sort of cloth you're trying to simulate and gather references
    2. determine where your anchor points are
    3. take into account any physics that apply (gravity, any forces opposing gravity, friction, etc)

It's also worth internalizing the different types of cloth folds: http://aproposofthingsinbetween.tumblr.com/post/58062308469

That's a super helpful link...THANK YOU =D 
  • macoll
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    macoll polycounter lvl 13
    I enjoyed so much the game!
    For me, you have totally grabbed the spirit of this beast, great art ;)
    Perhaps add some veins at some places, not sure...

• Caiterade
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    macoll said:
    I enjoyed so much the game!
    For me, you have totally grabbed the spirit of this beast, great art ;)
    Perhaps add some veins at some places, not sure...

Yeah that's a good idea :D Ruin was super veiny lol
  • KellyJohnson3DArt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KellyJohnson3DArt polycounter lvl 6
    Keep up the great work Caiterade! Try the spiral, snake hook and rake brushes.  Sculpt the hair in by turning on lazy mouse with your hpolish brush. :)  
  • Caiterade
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Keep up the great work Caiterade! Try the spiral, snake hook and rake brushes.  Sculpt the hair in by turning on lazy mouse with your hpolish brush. :)  
    Oh snap, i had no idea about spiral. GAME CHANGER.
  • KellyJohnson3DArt
  • Caiterade
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I need to just sit down and try all the brushes. I think i use like 4. Clay, clay tubes/building, dam standard, hpolish, pinch, trim dynamic. Ok that's more than 4 but that's all i really rely on
  • Caiterade
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Finally got his 'seal' decided. Time to build the bridle cleanly ;____;
  • Caiterade
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Redid his bridle and made little buckles and keepers for it.Now that i'm looking at it i think i can push the seal up higher on his forehead..feels a little off. And i need to redefine his mane pieces. SO MUCH WORK TO DO ;______;

Anywho, im going to sleep.
  • Mateus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mateus interpolator
    It's looking so cool!
  • Caiterade
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mateus said:
    It's looking so cool!
  • RocketBryan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RocketBryan polycount sponsor
    Just now catching this piece and he's coming along splendidly! That's some really solid work on the underlying anatomy and it definitely shows that you've been pouring over reference. Of course...now with such a good looking steed, we're gonna need to see Fury come online soon too. ;)

One thing I will mention for you to keep in mind - think about how you're going to actually tackle all those various strands of hair for the tail and the mane in your re-topology. Oddly enough, it's a topic that just came up on my Artstation challenge thing. I absolutely love, LOVE sculpted hair and fur, so if experience working with stylized do's has taught me anything it's that you need to plan ahead for your re-topo phase. Making all those little strands may be super fun and you can carve out some really neat dynamic movement to the hair, but as he stands right now, that's going to be a nightmare (heh....mare) to re-topo. You'll want to think about the overall shape of the hair - combine strands, make separated 'tubes' more pronounced, or clump pieces together to create larger shapes that are easier to deal with. Just takes a bit of forethought, but holy damn is it worth to make your life easier down the line.

• Caiterade
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just now catching this piece and he's coming along splendidly! That's some really solid work on the underlying anatomy and it definitely shows that you've been pouring over reference. Of course...now with such a good looking steed, we're gonna need to see Fury come online soon too. ;)

One thing I will mention for you to keep in mind - think about how you're going to actually tackle all those various strands of hair for the tail and the mane in your re-topology. Oddly enough, it's a topic that just came up on my Artstation challenge thing. I absolutely love, LOVE sculpted hair and fur, so if experience working with stylized do's has taught me anything it's that you need to plan ahead for your re-topo phase. Making all those little strands may be super fun and you can carve out some really neat dynamic movement to the hair, but as he stands right now, that's going to be a nightmare (heh....mare) to re-topo. You'll want to think about the overall shape of the hair - combine strands, make separated 'tubes' more pronounced, or clump pieces together to create larger shapes that are easier to deal with. Just takes a bit of forethought, but holy damn is it worth to make your life easier down the line.

Sorry, do you have any examples of what you mean? The technical side is totally foreign to me lol
  • Caiterade
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dudestein said:
    For hair, check out the Georgian Avasilcuti model from Dishonored 2 in Marmoset Viewer, and look at the wireframe.

https://www.artstation.com/artwork/QwAqr

Will do! Thank you!