Home Technical Talk

Tiling photo scanned materials

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
JoshWilkinson polycounter lvl 9
I did some traveling this weekend and loaded up on pictures of various surfaces for photo scanning. I plan to get home after work today and hit the process but I'd like to get a heads up on the tiling hurdle. Is there a software that does a good job of setting images up to tile (something like Bitmap2Material?) or is the classic "by hand" approach using alphas in Photoshop still the best route?

Replies

• WilliamVaughan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    WilliamVaughan greentooth
    We use an app called Pixplant at work with great success.
  • EliasWick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EliasWick polycounter lvl 9
    PixPlant works well, but I prefer either Bitmap2Material (Which doesn't work for too complicated textures). In that case of a "difficult" texture, I use Photoshop. I go between the standard Clone Stamp and other tools which makes it looks good.

Put on some good music and make yourself a cup of tea and the "manual Photoshop process" will be over in no time! :)
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    On top of the ones already mentioned, the new Substance Designer (6) has tools for tiling photo-scanned sources that look like they work really well.
    As for manual adjustment, @EliasWick brings up Photoshop, but I'd say something like 3DCoat or Substance Painter would work much better.  They handle multiple channels (normal, height, albedo, gloss etc) at once when clonestamping, and you can paint on a plane with a few tiles on it, so there's no need for using the offset filter.
  • Millenia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Millenia polycount sponsor
    Definitely would recommend Substance Designer 6 for this.
  • EliasWick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EliasWick polycounter lvl 9
    You learn something new everyday, I have got to check out Substance Painter then!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CMSOXApFZJc  Looks very efficient, thanks.
  • JoshWilkinson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hah! Well this thread blew up last night. Thanks guys, I'll be checking out these softwares tonight. Anything that aids me in my quest for "the easy button" and I'm all in.

EDIT: Took a long at that Painter video Elias cited. It looks super cool for assets but does it account for the offset filter in Photoshop?
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    There's no need for the offset anymore, there are other options now.
    You either paint in the 2D Editor, which can optionally display endless tiling (and allows you to paint across the edges), or you use a plane with 9 (or so) square tiles, all mapped to the same UV range.
    3DCoat comes with one, but if Substance Painter doesn't, it's something you could create in a few seconds tops.

These packages handle UV seams nicely, so you can just paint across the edges and it'll all look fine.

Definitely give Designer 6 a look as well for a less manual option. They both have demos, and you can get them together with Substance B2M and Substance Source in the Substance Live package (which is rent to own).

• JoshWilkinson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You either paint in the 2D Editor, which can optionally display endless tiling (and allows you to paint across the edges), or you use a plane with 9 (or so) square tiles...

Sick, I didn't know about that tiling display, what a cool technique. And for whatever reason I didn't consider the 9 tiles display, but I like where your head's at. Thanks dude
  • JoshWilkinson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Michael Knubben I've been trying to work with Substance Painter but the cloning is pretty unintuitive. It seems that when I select a source, I have to have leave my camera fixed because the source is always in proportion to the cursor, meaning that when I zoom into what I'm trying to edit, it moves the source location with or without "relative" toggled. Is this always the case or is there a way I can set the source to be fixed? I feel like I'm fighting against the software more than utilizing it.
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm a poor starving artist, so I'm still on Painter 1, but I hear if you say @Froyok three times into a mirror he'll appear and fix any issues you might have with Allegorithmic software.
    Froyok Froyok Froyok | koyorF koyorF koyorF
  • JoshWilkinson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hah @Froyok. For more summoning. Or annoyance...?
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hmm. Still nothing. We can only assume he's dead.
  • JoshWilkinson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lol. RIP buddy
  • gnoop
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gnoop polycounter
     the new Substance Designer (6) has tools for tiling photo-scanned sources that look like they work really well.

What is the tool?   I  probably missed it because haven't found anything  very helpful beyond usual "make it tile" node that impacts the realistic nature of photo-scanned  materials  spoiling  scanned depth  with nothing advanced to adapting patches  by its depth.     Beside it works super slow with hi res sources    

Or do you mean their different  lighting angle  "scans" ?    Imo it works  ok only for very limited kinds of materials with tiny depth amplitude.   

For true photoscanned  materials like ones done with Photoscan or Reality Capture   with true depth channel  I would recommend   patch tool  in Affinity Photo (mac version).     Works better than Photoshop one imo.  

• Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What's better about Affinity Photo's patch tool? Does it handle multiple material channels at once?
  • Froyok
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Froyok greentooth
    @BringMeASunkist @Michael Knubben
    The clone tool is viewport based. It's a technical limitation imposed by 3D Meshes, because otherwise you could try to clone the back of a mesh in the front, and if you reach an angle we are unable to determine what to do. So for a plane it might seem to work, but in other case it doesn't.
  • JoshWilkinson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks @Froyok, I'll continue to try and get the hang out this clone tool.

If you don't mind, I'm also confused about how this works with ambient occlusion as well. Looking on forums, it appears the fill layers don't support an AO channel so the recommended method is to add a fill layer, plug the AO into "base color", and choose the correct blending mode? Unfortunately when I use the clone tool, I'm baking the AO into the base color so the final output is not lit correctly. Worse, without the fill layer including a designated AO channel, I don't know how to properly export AO.

I'd love some help tackling this as well.
  • NoRank
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NoRank polycounter lvl 3
    Thanks @Froyok, I'll continue to try and get the hang out this clone tool.

If you don't mind, I'm also confused about how this works with ambient occlusion as well. Looking on forums, it appears the fill layers don't support an AO channel so the recommended method is to add a fill layer, plug the AO into "base color", and choose the correct blending mode? Unfortunately when I use the clone tool, I'm baking the AO into the base color so the final output is not lit correctly. Worse, without the fill layer including a designated AO channel, I don't know how to properly export AO.

I'd love some help tackling this as well.
    What? Fill layers do support AO, wtf. 
    Just click on the "+" sign and add the ambient occlusion.

• JoshWilkinson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NoRank said:

Lol, bizarre use of WTFs aside, thanks for the help. Was following a forum discussion from last year in which Froyok was helping somebody out with AO on base color. Didn't realize I could just add a channel to to the fill layer.
  • NoRank
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NoRank polycounter lvl 3
    NoRank said:

Lol, bizarre use of WTFs aside, thanks for the help. Was following a forum discussion from last year in which Froyok was helping somebody out with AO on base color. Didn't realize I could just add a channel to to the fill layer.
    Nah my reaction was to people saying for you to do all this stuff lol. Not because you couldn't find, it was just weird that people would actually suggest doing this since you have it as a feature already. But as you said, it was from one year ago so yeah. Even thought I have the feeling that this was already a feature in substance painter 1.

• gnoop
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gnoop polycounter
    What's better about Affinity Photo's patch tool? Does it handle multiple material channels at once?
    Just a little bit more options like rotation and scale   and I like more their adapting algorithm.     It can't handle multiple channels  but it have never been a problem really.  Record a script  while working on one channel and execute it on another one.     Almost every image soft can do it.    Now even Photoshop can record brush strokes.

The key thing is adapting so the copied fragment could be fused in natural way, following  middle and macro frequency details.   Just cloning is never working right actually, especially on height and normal maps.  You get kind of seamless texture but it's often still repetitive as hell and actual faked surface geometry is  messed a lot.  So the actual problem of tiling photo scans is much bigger than simply cloning.

Substance Designer approaches are just that cloning, nothing more.   It works only for what they show in example videos , mostly flat surfaces  with only high frequency tiny details,  with any middle and macro frequencies being hi-passed out while with photo-scanned materials they are equally important and should be managed very carefully to keep that natural look.

I do use SD often but  for me  everything  Allgorithmic   doing is like from another universe with another game industry.   They somehow make a lot of things  I would never need and never do what I actually need , even kill features I loved.  Like ability to manually compose noise patterns  in their old Map Zone.
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Have you completely replaced Photoshop with Affinity Photo then, Gnoop? Or are you using it together with Photoshop?
  • gnoop
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gnoop polycounter
    I use them together.   Photoshop  does a few things   more conveniently than Affinity   and vice versa.       

There is still no software on the market  that would cover all tiling texture needs  imo.   They all have lots of huge gaps  draining your time  to work around.    
  • JoshWilkinson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I finished my tiling scanned material but when I opened up the substance files today I found that a lot of my cloned stroked were replaced with solid white paint strokes. Strangely, not all of the clones strokes are replaced, just some. And this isn't the first time it's happened, it's the third. I thought it was user error but I don't know what's causing this.

As you can see there is a cloning layer and a source layer. The cloning layer (layer 1) contains both the cloned strokes and the paint strokes.

• kurt_hectic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kurt_hectic polycounter lvl 10
    Clone tool in the new SD 6 is sooooo weird. I'll have to use 20 nodes to make 20 stamps?

And this angled light. How I supposed to do it outside, to capture walls, ground, whatever? There is no scanners on the market, there is even no tutorials about it...

Overall I'm sceptic. Regular 'photogrammetry' workflow seems to be easier and better.
  • gnoop
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gnoop polycounter
    I tried this angled light approach years before with Xnormal  and never got anything  realistic beyond very  hi frequency  surface noise  which you could do simply from photo.    Not even bothered to try it again with SD. So not sure if I missed something.   

As of "clone patch" my  problem is  it's just  a clone tool and nothing more.   Would it adapt a patch to surrounding pixels it would be totally different story.    It's especially important for depth and normal channels.    

Somehow both Substance programs , while having a lot of conveniences, at the same time manage to miss the very important tools  available in old traditional image editors.    With Substance Painter too.   Evey time I want to project a scanned texture to an object I do it in very archaic  Photoshop  3d mode.   Photoshop is only soft where it's possible to deform and match the projected image to model very precisely up to per pixel level.  

BringMeASunkist   I have no idea why you are getting those white gaps  but just would like to point. Would it be ok and no gaps, your texture would still be repetitive as hell.    To make it right you actually have to either hi-pass it  up to something unspecific and unrecognizable or rather  re-compose fragments  with proper adaptation, scale matching, easy deforming etc.
        I have been waiting for a proper tool for that during couple decades already and     unfortunately nobody have bothered to make it yet.
  • JoshWilkinson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gnoop said:
    BringMeASunkist   I have no idea why you are getting those white gaps  but just would like to point. Would it be ok and no gaps, your texture would still be repetitive as hell.    To make it right you actually have to either hi-pass it  up to something unspecific and unrecognizable or rather  re-compose fragments  with proper adaptation, scale matching, easy deforming etc.
        I have been waiting for a proper tool for that during couple decades already and     unfortunately nobody have bothered to make it yet.

I was able to get a pretty decent result with the clone tool, I think. Basically I sourced corners from different stones to interrupt visual repetition, paying attention to height differences. Then blending them with low flow and opacity values. 

It was a real pain in the ass because SP2 doesn't have a "preview" for the clone stamp, like photoshop does, and once you've click down then the source is always relevant to your cursor. What that means is that if I click to begin the cloning and find out a corner is not perfectly aligned, I have to reselect my source and try again. That back and forth is truly tedious and I'd love to see it get improved. But otherwise it's a pretty decent tool. I'll tag @Froyok for that software request.

It also probably doesn't help that I chose a project that has a very obvious pattern and requires way too much precision to try and learn this process. That was a bonehead move on my part.
  • Froyok