Home Adobe Substance

Painting in Substance Painter?

vertex
Offline / Send Message
Centipix vertex
Okay here are my specs 

Graphics: VG248 (1920x1080@60Hz)
2048MB ATI AMD Radeon R7 200 Series (XFX Pine Group)

RAM:6.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 803MHz (11-11-11-28)

Okay so I'm trying to paint on my mesh in substance painter its like 50,000  quads , 

But it keeps lagging when I paint,  it also gives me this message when I load it up. 

"[Engine Configuration] Export resolution clamped to 4k. More than 2GB of VRAM are required to allows 8k export (2029MB detected).

[Scene 3D] 3D scene successfully loaded

[Plugins] Loading plugin photoshop-export

[GPUIssuesCheck] The current TDR (GPU hang recovery) delay is low: 5s.

Substance Painter can be interrupted by the OS when doing a long computation.

See https://support.allegorithmic.com/documentation/display/SPDOC/GPU+drivers+crash+with+long+computations"

I went to the site mention went through the steps and lowered the  TdrDelay upped 0 then I up it to 60, then 120, then 180, then 360.

It still lags. 

So now I'm not sure what to do, can anyone offer any assistance?  

Replies

• pior
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Right here : 

"[Engine Configuration] Export resolution clamped to 4k. More than 2GB of VRAM are required to allows 8k export (2029MB detected).

Unlike what the name suggests, Substance Painter is not really a painting app but rather, a mask painting app. What you paint in it is mostly black and white masks helping with the blending of materials. Since the fine details come from the materials and not the mask themselves, what you want to do is to work at a project resolution as low as possible to allow you to work in a fluid manner at 60fps, and bump up the resolution only at export time.

It seems like the error message you are getting is telling you that you are currently trying to work at 8k. So your first step is to look into your project settings to lower your work resolution to as low as possible for you to work comfortably. This is unrelated to the number of quads of your model.

Your video card is also probably due for an upgrade.
  • PolyHertz
    Online / Send Message
    PolyHertz polycount lvl 666
    Substance Painter uses quite a bit of RAM and VRAM, and your PC doesn't have much of either.
    You should definitely consider upgrading (check this thread for advise on that).
  • musashidan
    Offline / Send Message
    musashidan high dynamic range
    Yes, your machine definitely needs an upgrade. 16gigs ram is pretty much the minimum these days. Gpu wise, if you can afford it you should future proof it with a 10series geforce.
  • NoRank
    Offline / Send Message
    NoRank polycounter lvl 3
    Even thought you should upgrade your computer, it shouldn't be lagging so much. I've worked on a computer with even lower spec than yours and it was ok (not even close to ideal but at least I could work lol).

Can you post a screenshot of your model in substance painter or something like that?
  • Centipix
    Offline / Send Message
    Centipix vertex
    pior said:
    Right here : 

Unlike what the name suggests, Substance Painter is not really a painting app but rather, a mask painting app. What you paint in it is mostly black and white masks helping with the blending of materials. Since the fine details come from the materials and not the mask themselves, what you want to do is to work at a project resolution as low as possible to allow you to work in a fluid manner at 60fps, and bump up the resolution only at export time.

It seems like the error message you are getting is telling you that you are currently trying to work at 8k. So your first step is to look into your project settings to lower your work resolution to as low as possible for you to work comfortably. This is unrelated to the number of quads of your model.

Your video card is also probably due for an upgrade.
    I"ll try lowering my resolution size, maybe 2048 will be ideal 
  • Centipix
    Offline / Send Message
    Centipix vertex
    NoRank said:
    Even thought you should upgrade your computer, it shouldn't be lagging so much. I've worked on a computer with even lower spec than yours and it was ok (not even close to ideal but at least I could work lol).

Can you post a screenshot of your model in substance painter or something like that?

• Centipix
    Offline / Send Message
    Centipix vertex
    I solved my lagging problem by lowering my resolution upon loading the program up. 
  • NoRank
    Offline / Send Message
    NoRank polycounter lvl 3
    Yeah painting with 2k is kinda hard with that specs. It really doesn't look like it's a mesh related problem actually.
  • Centipix
    Offline / Send Message
    Centipix vertex
    Hmm perhaps I'll use 1K and up res later
  • Froyok
    Offline / Send Message
    Froyok greentooth