Home Technical Talk

Mudbox Hotkey Issue - Smooth Tool Hotkey Not Working

polycounter lvl 2
Offline / Send Message
Venomfly polycounter lvl 2

Hello friends,

So I am running into an issue that started happening last night and I am not sure how to fix it.

Generally speaking, Mudbox allows the user to toggle the smooth tool by holding shift, and when you release shift it toggles back to the tool you were on previously, right? Well, that stopped working for me.

Whenever I am using the sculpt tool, I hold left shift. However, it doesn't toggle to smooth. It still shows (by the icons on the bottom) that I am on the sculpt tool. While holding shift, when I try smoothing the model, nothing happens.

However, when I let GO of shift, only then does it toggles to the smooth tool. When I am not holding shift, the smooth tool works perfectly fine, and its noticeable. However, it also DOES NOT toggle back to the previous tool I was using (sculpt, in this case)

This is making my sculpting process extremely tedious to manually switch back and forth. I have tried troubleshooting and looking up other help forum topics but to no avail. Here is what I have done to try to solve the problem so far

• Reset hotkeys to Mudbox default
  • Restarted Mudbox
  • Restart my computer
  • Checked the strength of the smooth tool (it's at 100)
  • The model is at human scale
  • It's on subdivision four

Would any one have any solutions or issues for this? I really would like to figure this out ASAP as it's for a school project.

Thanks!

Replies

• thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    sounds like you may have changed your keyboard shortcuts inside mudbox and there's now another assignment of the shift key that interferes with the smooth function. or perhaps you have another program running that takes precedence for keyboard input.
    any recent configuration changes and little background helper tools you just installed?

• Venomfly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Venomfly polycounter lvl 2
    Well, I reset the hotkeys to Mudbox default and it hasn't changed anything...so I don't imagine that would be it. I haven't messed around at all with the hotkeys, and I don't have any background programs installed at all that I know of. So frustrating. I'll try to mess around with more hotkeys but I'm at a loss.