Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[UE4] Ancient Overgrown Museum WIP

polycounter lvl 2
Offline / Send Message
Martoon polycounter lvl 2

"A museum that once was meant to preserve environments and nature now is enveloped by that which it once protected."

Still a lot to do here, but figured I'm at a point where having some other eyes would be helpful.

There is going to be environments inside some of the exhibits that are essentially "Portals " to different biomes.

Feedback and Critiques would greatly help me keep pushing this along. 

(Original Post Image Below)

References / Inspiration:

Was very inspired by Andres Rogriguez/ Reuben Shah and the texturing and foliage artists at Naughty Dog.

Also was inspired by some of the ICO concept art I found. I wanted to make a Museum that had an interesting architectural design, with overgrown elements. This museum would be an arborium for the preservation of the environment through portal like technology.

The museum would serve as an example that nature can outlive and survive past mankind and their conventions.

I used the Museum of Natural History in UK as an example for the design. 

Blockout:

Draw-over:

Replies

• Martoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Created the Parallax sky spheres for the environments!
    Just need to attach some cleanup lighting in each environment!
    Very happy with the results, gives the illusion of depth in the exhibits.
  • Martoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    To Do:
    Environments inside Exhibits (3) Stretch goal (6)
    Museum Clutter (Leftover Human Artifacts) (aka service desks, banners, plaques etc..)
    Second Texture Pass
    Fix some inconsistent lighting (Second Pass)
    Change out the block-in Rubble still in scene
    Increase Resolution of Cube Captures for VR/Stereo capture
  • Benvox2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Benvox2 polycounter lvl 10
    Looking pretty nice so far. Do you have any references that you are using for the overall feel?
  • Martoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Like what I'm getting so far.
    I'm limited by the curvature of a bp sky sphere I edited and fit in the space of the exhibit halls 
    Going to have to really fake a lot of scale and composition to make these look right.

Did a quick paint over to show key issues, and plans to address them.

The fronts of the exhibits are always going to need a higher compositional foreground element to block the sky.

Where the vistas in the back clip the sphere I'm going to have to create a trim geo to go in another direction to make it look better.
    Some of the treetop cards I made for background vistas may hide this issue slightly.

Would rather address a modular solution for these seams now though.
    Modular fog sheets are going to be needed in almost every exhibit with a far vista, to fake atmosphere too.

• Martoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Benvox2 Thank you! Still a lot to do :) I updated the Top pin post with Reference and Ideation at the top. 
  • rohMizuno
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I love how on your draw over you can see the outside on the end of the museum trough the destroyed walls, would be a nice touch to add to your piece.
  • Martoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @rohMizuno Thanks for the suggestion! I completely agree I think light coming through there would be a great addition. 
  • Martoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Still a WIP and a lot to do!  Still need to do a Second Texture Pass/ and a seam pass with some card geometry. Also need to create the human museum clutter etc..
    @rohMizuno Thanks for suggesting to cut the open space at the end of the exhibit, it definitely brings more life to the scenery :)
  • Martoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

First environment I think this one is done, I'm pretty happy with how it reads.
  • Martoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Second environment, this one is ok too for now.
  • Martoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

This one still needs plenty of work.  Have more important things to clean up in the scene for now. Going to sleep on this and see what I can think of to push this one. 
  • Martoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Using DFAO in 4.15 was very noisy, I had flickering in my 360 video that I output as a test. I am too locked into the mood I have with the current lighting setup, so I'm going to moved ahead with the following solutions. VXGI for the HBAO+ feauture, and I am going to try the new UE4 4.16 as they have made big improvements to Distance fields and DFAO apparently. 
  • Jim_Watson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jim_Watson polycounter lvl 6
    Looks awesome! I love the lighting and foilage that you used.