Home Technical Talk

substance painter vs 3d coat and Hand Painted Texturing

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
EJtheArtist polycounter lvl 8
Hi! I know 3D coat is commonly used for Hand Painted texturing, but is Substance Painter also? Are the same results possible?

Your thoughts? Thanks!

Replies

• Scruples
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Scruples polycounter lvl 10
    Absolutely possible to get the same results, 3dcoat has better performance and a quicker setup but less features (for painting and shading). So if your computer is high performance and you already know how to use Substance Painter then there really won't be much of a difference. I still think working between PS and 3dcoat is easier than SubPainter/PS and Layer blending modes are more useful in 3dcoat but that might just be my bias.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Despite what its name suggest, Substance Painter is not really a tool to paint textures in the "handpainted" sense as it is lacking some of the core features that 3DCoat relies on for this task - amongst others, the ability to send a screenshot of what is currently being worked on to Photoshop in order to paint there then reproject.

So if your intent is to create handpainted textures and if you have to chose between 3DC or SP, the answer is definitely 3DCoat.

Both programs have demos so you can judge for yourself. Now one thing of note is that if your need is pure handpainting and if don't mind the lack of layers, Blender is free and perfectly capable of it too (and allows for reprojection from Photoshop, just like 3DC). However it comes with a much steeper learning curve, whereas with 3DCoat you'll be up and running in about a day.
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @iconoplast Was going to show us all how it was done over here: http://polycount.com/discussion/comment/2158961/#Comment_2158961
    But then he never did.
    When it comes to PBR texturing, I see the advantages to working in Substance Painter, but for stylised, painterly texturing there really is no competition, 3dCoat is the king. Luckily, it's no slouch for PBR texturing either, so I get to use it for both and don't have to switch texturing software per project.

• EJtheArtist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    These are all awesome replys. I think you guys are selling me on 3D coat. Though... I already used up my trial and didn't use it well. Any way to get that back? lol any coupon codes? 

• EJtheArtist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @pior  What do you meen screenshot into photoshop? I thought you could do that with everything? Maybe you mean something else
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I mean like this : 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B34BQbJDUYM&feature=youtu.be

Now quite a few programs can do it (3DCoat, Mudbox, Bodypaint, Blender, and Zbrush too to an extent) but afaik Substance Painter doesn't have anything like that.
  • EJtheArtist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That is awesome
  • Kogoshi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kogoshi polycounter lvl 2
    pior said:
    I mean like this : 

Now quite a few programs can do it (3DCoat, Mudbox, Bodypaint, Blender, and Zbrush too to an extent) but afaik Substance Painter doesn't have anything like that.

That's amazing!, do you do any tutorials?  
  • SpaceRogue
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SpaceRogue polycounter lvl 3
    pior said:
    I mean like this : 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B34BQbJDUYM&feature=youtu.be

Sorry to high jack this topic but I'd love to put this feature to use, all I'm able to find is a tutorial that's 7 years old and either only works half, or something is going wrong on my side because after painting on the screenshot in PS CS6 , 3Dcoat doesn't update and google is not being of any help :c  
  • Dataday
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dataday polycounter lvl 8
    Agree on avoiding Substance Painter for this kind of work. Substance Painter is more or less good for slapping on substances rather than painting.

Mari Indie (http://store.steampowered.com/app/433930/ ) is also a good option for hand painted texturing (especially if you cant afford 3D Coat), however it is not nearly as easy to use as something like 3D Coat (learning curve), which is the champion application for painting based workflows in my opinion.

Regarding the feature to export into 2D painting applications found in 3D Coat. Essentially you tell 3D Coat where the external editor is you want to use (via properties). Following that, you can send the paint job over to the editor you picked, save and then it goes right back to 3D Coat with the changes.

For the hand painted stuff, I prefer using Krita as the external editor, its a free application as well so its worth trying out (https://krita.org/en/features/highlights/ )

You can also get the educational version of 3D Coat on steam for $99, however there are some limitations. Layer count limits and such.

• PolyHertz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz polycount lvl 666
    I'd love to put this feature to use, all I'm able to find is a tutorial that's 7 years old and either only works half, or something is going wrong on my side because after painting on the screenshot in PS CS6 , 3Dcoat doesn't update and google is not being of any help :c  
    After painting on the image in PS and saving it, 3D-Coat should notice the files modify date has changed and automatically import it. If it's not doing that it could mean that there is some sort of permissions issue on your PC that is preventing PS from writing to the file.
  • SpaceRogue
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SpaceRogue polycounter lvl 3
    PolyHertz said:
    I'd love to put this feature to use, all I'm able to find is a tutorial that's 7 years old and either only works half, or something is going wrong on my side because after painting on the screenshot in PS CS6 , 3Dcoat doesn't update and google is not being of any help :c  
    After painting on the image in PS and saving it, 3D-Coat should notice the files modify date has changed and automatically import it. If it's not doing that it could mean that there is some sort of permissions issue on your PC that is preventing PS from writing to the file.
    Saving it was the magic button, thank you ! I'm not sure how I missed that, guess I was too hooked on trying to find some other button in the UI ... 

• pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi @Kogoshi - will probably do a few this year.

• musashidan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    musashidan high dynamic range
    Just to note that SP 2.5 now supports proper layered(built up) opacity painting strokes, and the beginnings of a limited PS bridge.
  • PolyHertz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just to note that SP 2.5 now supports proper layered(built up) opacity painting strokes
    Yep (skip to 12:20): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJWqodzZFlk#t=12m24s
  • EJtheArtist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Would you guys use substance more for PBR and realism and 3D Coat for stylized???
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah, the painting in 3D Coat is just so nice. When I have to have nice painted details in Substance Painter like face paint or decals, I usually paint it in 3DCoat and export it as a mask to use in Substance.

Let me add, it really depends on what you mean when you say stylized. Old school hand painted stuff? Definately. Stylized like Fortnite? You'll be putting most of the "hand painting" into the sculpt and not too much into the texture, so you can texture stuff like that in substance as well, just go easy on all the procedural damage generators and what-not.
  • PolyHertz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Would you guys use substance more for PBR and realism and 3D Coat for stylized???
    Yes, I'd say that's the ideal setup currently.
  • CharlestonN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CharlestonN polycounter lvl 4
    Substance is actually a lot more feature-full than people realize.  One of the reasons it does not have export/import for Photoshop is because the necessity to export to Photoshop is antiquated - Substance painter is basically Photoshop in 3D and for full texture sets (materials).

Just about everything you can do in Photoshop form filters to masking to gradients to stencils is available directly in Substance Painter.  3d Coat is good  but Substance Painter allows for more freedom for either realistic or stylized art styles.  So far, other than the 8K export cap, Substance Painter has been better in my experience than 3D Coat, Mari and Quixel Suite.

I recommend actually trying it and delving into all of it's features before writing it off as a lesser tool.
  • thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    painterly feeling would be my main criteria. if it's hard to achieve a nice result, then motivation quickly reaches rock bottom. i never managed with substance, something very unnatural about it when trying to layer paint and not just doodle on masks, also not very performant in my experience, even on medium density assets. never got it to cleanly paint across UV seams either, there's visible artifacting going on which i've never seen in any other program (tried them all except for quixel).
    the interface could do with a clean up as well. this thing needs more palettes open at all times than mari, quite the feat. ;)

most of my experience comes from dealing with versions 1.0 - 1.7 but i did a recent stint with a 2.x demo and found all my pet peeves were still in there.

btw, mudbox is my tool of choice. could do with a PBR viewport but it's less of a priority than being able to paint in style.

• gnoop
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gnoop polycounter
    necessity to export to Photoshop is antiquated 
    Substance painter still has a lot of important limitations , same as in very beginning.   To list a few:
    1. you can't select a layer and scale /move it  
    2. brushes are pretty primitive and reveal its robotic artificial nature  instantly. Not that Photoshop's ones are much better  but still  it's a long way to go till Corel Painter brushes (which alco can paint in depth channel there)   or even 3d coat ones which allows multiple alternating brush dabs in a stroke and  new Affinity Photo ones. 
    Their brushes are vector based beneath the hud but there is no way to tweak the strokes really.

In my experience anything done In both Substance programs still shows  a  recognisable sign of  artificial procedural nature. It 's especially apparent when you put a photogrammetry captured object next to  SP painted one.      Imo anything done in SP still  needs a few  very important subtle final touches  in   regular soft for  manual, hand crafted art  with full range of artist friendly tools where you could almost feel things under your fingerprints.      So PSD format is an important way to exchange.

ps. BTW Substance Painter still doesn't have a decent projection painting .   Precisely projecting a photogrammetry based material is a huge pain in the a.. and nothing comes close to Photoshop there, even Mari.

• Carlosan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Carlosan polycounter lvl 10
    I already used up my trial and didn't use it well. Any way to get that back? lol any coupon codes?

Hi.

Yes. To Extend Trial Period please send support-related question to Andrew Shpagin at

support@3dcoat.com

Thx

• 3dmaxfarsi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    3dmaxfarsi null
    YES. most of my experience comes from dealing with versions 1.0 - 1.7 but i did a recent stint with a 2.x demo and found all my pet peeves were still in there.
  • Altea
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Altea polycounter lvl 6
    Substance painter has definitely a bad stroke control and blending, even in the last version. You can not use the brush to blend different strokes, the result is always look patchy, irregular and full of artifacts. Painter is not for painting but for procedural texturing. Also for things that need remotely Photoshop, as clothing and architecture Quixel is a lot better. Not tried 3d Coat but everybody says it is good for stylized hand painting. Besides that it seems the one with best re topology tools.
    Mudbox was in the path of becoming a good 3d painting program , without the stroke problems of Substance painter and good projection systems, until Autodesk abandoned it. 
    Substance Painter is the best in what it does, procedural texturing, but it is an incomplete 3d painting solution. Having said that I understand that for certain pipelines SP could be enough.
  • poopipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    Painter isn't ideal for this sort of work - fundamentally it's a compositing tool so it really only shines when you work with masked  layers. 

If you set things up the right way you can use it to get the hand painted look by building up masked layers of colour but it's not necessarily how people feel comfortable working - particularly if they're exploring ideas etc. 

Don't  dismiss it "cos pbr" but equally don't expect it to behave like a 3d photoshop because that's not what it's designed for. 
  • hansolocambo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hansolocambo polycounter lvl 8
    Answer for hand painting is very much definitely : 3D-Coat.
    A simple reason : Substance Painter records EVERY stroke you make so that the workflow is never destructive. That's great. But the cons is that your file after a bake or two is quickly going to be 2GB even with a 4000 low poly mesh + the .assbin files for the bakes. And every stroke you make is slowed down because of the non stop recording. So sure, you can go back to 512x512 or up to 4k and all your work is re-calculated. But to my experience : I have an i7-7800X (6 Cores, 12 threads), 32GB of RAM and a GTX 1060 6GB, not the latest computer but a very decent one to work and it's just impossible to paint with substance painter : Too slow. And on top of that, the way they manage stylus pressure is just not good enough.
    On the other hand, with 3D-Coat you have a tiny file, everything is smooth, the feeling is very much photoshop-like. And you can easily have a "bridged" workflow between 3D-Coat and Photoshop or Krita. (To export the wireframe, from the Paint tab, Main Menu -> Layer -> Export -> Color). So there, the workflow is destructive. So be sure to work on a resolution high enough, better more than less. You can always resize your textures after the export if the game engine requires that for optimization.
    I'd say for a good workflow : Bake with Knald (Amazing) or Substance Painter. Import your curvature, normal, ao, etc in 3D-Coat and then hand-paint from there. When done, import your hand-painted textures in Substance Painter and play a bit with their great PBR workflow to enhance your work if necessary.