Home Technical Talk

Mudbox texture geomery-edge artifacts

MaboZuka
polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
MaboZuka polycounter lvl 6
I have no idea how to fix this problem, or if it is even possible.

No matter how I paint it, be it with a soft or crisp brush, stencil, color or projections, these artefacts occur along the original geometry edges. Using different resolution for the paint layer or subdividing the geometry, also does nothing to help with the problem.

I fear that it is caused by my hardware (or lack thereof), but I really hope that you guys can help me find something that can be done to fix it. 

System Model: Surface Pro 4
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-6300U CPU @ 2.40GHz ( 4 CPUs) ~2.5GHz
Memory: 8192 GDDR5
Disk: 235 GB SSD
DirectX Version: DirectX 12

Mudbox Version: Autodesk Mudbox 2017 x64

Replies

• oglu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oglu polycount lvl 666
    does this also happen on the mubox head mesh.?
    could you reimport the obj back to maya and check the uvs.? if those uvs are welded.?
  • MaboZuka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you for your reply oglu.
    Yep, the exact same same thing happens on the standart head mesh. I have also looked around my models UV in Maya and I am unable to find any flaws. 
  • MaboZuka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
     I suppose that there is no way to solve this problem on my computer. Are there anyone in here, who have experienced the same issue though?
  • oglu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oglu polycount lvl 666
    are you using an intel graphics chip.?

• Synaesthesia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Synaesthesia polycounter
    Try increasing the subdivision levels. You can do this without smoothing if necessary. I recall this happening a lot when I used Mudbox on low-poly models - it's not a big fan of painting on low res stuff sometimes.
  • MaboZuka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oglu said:
    are you using an intel graphics chip.?

Yep! It all relies on i5: Intel HD graphics 520
    So it is a little weak.
    Try increasing the subdivision levels. You can do this without smoothing if necessary. I recall this happening a lot when I used Mudbox on low-poly models - it's not a big fan of painting on low res stuff sometimes.
    Hi Synaesthesia :) I have attempted to subdivide the mesh, with smooth positions and without. And I also tried to see what would happen if i change any of the subdivision settings for the UVs. However, nothing seems to change the outcome. 
  • thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    this indeed looks like some sort of graphics driver issue to me. i've read the intel GPU has only been enabled in more recent versions of mudbox as it is. perhaps there are driver updates for it that correct the behaviour?

on the other hand if mudbox encounters a problem painting on geometry that is too low res in my experience the problem manifests as a sort of triangular pattern overlaying the painted areas or by not applying paint properly - leading to the creation of color blobs instead. which is easily fixable by setting preferences -> paint -> brush sample area to some really small value.

worth playing with at any rate.