Home Career & Education

Which game would have the best market? And make the most Money?

vertex
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
skyboyfly vertex
So I have 2 primary game ideas, I've went through each of them fairly well. One is set 2049 or near future, and the other around 2380.

So both of them I want to be somewhat realistic like Arma 3 (Like 70-85%), which obviously the Near future would be the most realistic, both have same general game-play, with a different look, technology, and other things.

For each game my team and I plan on making the multiplayer first, then the story later
So the first one is called BattleState (Set in 2049) (Think of Call of duty Adavanced warfare, with a much better story, and better look)

The back-story is basically in 2025 the sand-andresfault along with other fault lines cause the earth to alter, governments collapse, in order to maintain order, economic/political unions are formed, with Britan, USA, Japan, and others along with part ownership of company who helped bail out the goverments, and then you have the federation formed which contains Russia, China, and other who help the rebels with supply's and reinforcements. In 2044 a civil war breaks out between the peoples alliance and the Union, the people alliance is well funded,with about the same quality of gear/tech as the union

So the primary game play my team and I would want to focus on is Conquest, where players have multiple maps in which they can travel around a north america map, in different war-zones meaning different points of the north america map in which people can travel to in the main menu (So there will be 10-20 different maps when finished, where players can teleport from the main menu and play on that map) And much like Planet-side the maps can be controlled by players, showing the region controlled by either the AI (Which would be the Union) or the players team (The alliance). With this players would be able to join different randomly generated missions (I have about a list of 50 variables, which I could make over 5000 different missions) There players can do do different missions, rank up, and earn money. Now this will be sorta like a RPG, in which player can have different jobs (Which they can level up those jobs, and switch from job/roles at any time) Players will earn RP (reputation points) which can be used to gear up, and buy vehicles, and by buy vehicles, I meant for a one time use. Players can also use money to buy training courses to be able to actually use gear/weapons/anything and they will have to buy the licensing for the guns after they complete the training course. Now there will be only 1 team in which players can join, and the other team will be AI controlled to increase realism, meaning AI will react to different things, such as killing a Enemy officer will make the AI act ski-dish, and there morality go down. Along with a lot of other realistic effects. Also supplies and gear can be limited if a base, ware-house, hospital, factory, ect. gets taken and is controlled, by the enemy which can limit perks, abilitys, supplies, and 

The second one is BattleStar (set in 2380) (think of Halo, and star citizen for a basic look)

The back story is basically set on a planet, that has been partially colonized, and a war breaks out between the federation and the Rebels, who are well funded and supplied.

The gameplay is basically the same as before with the conquest idea but instead of a continent its the planets map, with the same basic principles as battle state, but with more tech, more enviroments/wild-life, different types of physics, different types of attacking/missions/other/ect., and battle mechanics/tactics.

Although we may have 2 different team in which players can play so instead of Just Player Vs AI, it may be PVP with a mix of AI on each team.

Please give me your opinion of which one you think would be more popular and make the most money.

Replies

• Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    You're probably not going to like the answers you get here :neutral:

Give us some more info:
    1. What's your budget?
    2. What's your timeline?
    3. How much game dev experience do you have?

Here's my initial thoughts, the shooter market is very saturated, unless you can gamble with a few hundred million dollars it isn't worth the risk. If you've got $100k or less to spend, make a smaller scale unique game.

It may not be the case anymore but for the last year or so investors have been super hyped about VR and willing to give you money. Game development is a terrible investment, which is why it's hard to line up funds, so hop on that VR money while you have the chance (It may be gone already though).
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [Deleted User] insane polycounter
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    First and foremost, make a game that you and your team like playing. If you do that, and have a project your entire team is very passionate about, it will shine through and people will buy it. Worst case scenerio? You made a game that you and your team like. 
  • PixelMasher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    I agree with making something you are passionate about.

also...starting off with statements like its going to have a better story and be better looking than a 50 million dollar budget AAA title is really setting yourself up for failure and looking at life through a distorted lens. 

if you are getting into game dev strictly to make money, that is a recipie for disaster. You need to be making something you are passionate about that even if 10 people played it, you would be happy. Like justin said, whats your budget, your experience level etc? There are so many factors that go into a production knowing more would really help.
  • sacboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sacboi high dynamic range

@skyboyfly

The AAA IPs you've noted as inspiration for your project involved hundred's of devs with years of experience and attained skillset covering various disciplines over multiple years of development too achieve market pre-eminence of their respective genre. What you're proposing if an indie/small team is practically 'pie-in-the-sky' waste of resources/effort/time period! or if this is indeed a one man band endeavour even more so...  

(*head shakes*)

The stickiest games are the simple ones, for example Mine Craft, Fruit Ninja, Crossy Road...etc Hell my all time favourite aside from "Little Big Planet" was a 'casual' mobile game called "Flappy Bird" which was published as a 100% free release. How it managed to generated revenue was via in app advertising, I believe at the height of it's fame off the top of my head around 50K a day (USD50,000)     

So mentioned above make something you like and/or research a specific niche in the market that as yet remains un-tapped. Drop this cloned CoD - Halo come 'Battlestar Galactica' thing...because it's nothing but a doomed too fail! sinkhole of over-ambitious tripe to begin with.

• JedTheKrampus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JedTheKrampus polycounter lvl 8
    It's all in the execution and the gameplay. You have two ideas for settings, not two ideas for games. You MUST come up with some interesting or fun gameplay in a prototype or you'll end up with a game with a boring story that's boring to play, no matter how much production value goes into it.

You don't necessarily have to go all the way to the Stephen's Sausage Roll side of the spectrum, although you shouldn't rule it out, but gameplay is the single most important thing to making a hit game. This goes double if you haven't got a kick-ass marketing department that could sell a turd to a Fields Medal winner.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Do a simple 2D sidescroller or something, the fact that you've written this post shows you have no chance in hell of making either of these games, so try to shoot for something realistic and get some actual experience instead.
  • lotet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
  • Tekoppar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tekoppar polycounter lvl 10
    Do a simple 2D sidescroller or something
    Why is it always a 2D sidescroller or platformer, why not make a simple any other genre?
  • ExcessiveZero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ExcessiveZero polycounter lvl 6
    something I think people are dying for that they aren't getting is more RTS, when you look at the implosion of the C&C series, all the games that have moved to a capture the flag kind of system, and then just instead of making new games rereleasing classics with upgraded graphics RON AOM AOE2, I think the market is actually huge for the classic style RTS if done right.
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lead by example, Tekoppar. What other genre could he make?
    Note how you also quoted 'or something'.

And on top of that, what's wrong with suggesting a 2d sidescroller?
    There's just simply a lot of reference online about them, as well as just all-out example projects that you can study.

• Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tekoppar said:
    Why is it always a 2D sidescroller or platformer, why not make a simple any other genre?
    Because you have to start somewhere. I'd actually recommend you make a text based adventure for your first game.
  • Amsterdam Hilton Hotel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Amsterdam Hilton Hotel insane polycounter
    skyboyfly said:
    (Think of Call of duty Adavanced warfare, with a much better story, and better look)
    we tried mate. sorry 
  • Tekoppar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tekoppar polycounter lvl 10
    Lead by example, Tekoppar. What other genre could he make?
    Note how you also quoted 'or something'.

And on top of that, what's wrong with suggesting a 2d sidescroller?
    There's just simply a lot of reference online about them, as well as just all-out example projects that you can study.

Well, casual game - Make a simple "cookie clicker" where you water plants and they automatically grow, flies attempts to eat on your plants thus destroying them so you need to swat them away, once a plant is finished you need to click on it to collect it. Then you could throw in powerups that water all the plants, anti-fly gas that give you some leeway with the flies.

Turn based strategy, a chess like game where you place units and at the end of each turn each unit moves X tiles forward, once a unit meets they attack each other once and continues next turn until one of them dies. Could throw in spells to spice it up a bit.

Small arena FPS where you try to survive against waves and gain a highscore.

Tekoppar said:
    Because you have to start somewhere. I'd actually recommend you make a text based adventure for your first game.
    Yes you have to start somewhere but why not start with a simple FPS as he wants to make a FPS in the end.
  • Mask_Salesman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mask_Salesman polycounter lvl 13
    Why not just make an MMO ;P

Here's some heavy hits;
    - Are you an 'idea guy' or will you actually be a developer?
    - Will this have funding? The days of volunteers making games for free are over, its a cancer of this industry.
    - That funding dictates the scope of your game.
    - This style of Multiplayer game need servers, will your indie company have the capacity for that.
    - Don't confuse story with gameplay
    - Watch that video
    - Read those posts
    - Have fun
  • samnwck
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    samnwck polycounter lvl 9
    lotet said:
    This reminds me a lot of this old gem.
    So much of that. I worked in a QA dept with 120 people, and just about all of them had higher aspirations for game development/ideas to make a game. I'd say out of all the people I met in the department, I'd say maybe 3 were actively working towards that at all. 

Having ideas just isn't enough, having money isn't enough, hell even having the experience isn't enough. Fully funded AAA titles with an army of devs behind them get cancelled. If your pure motivation is money, then you likely won't achieve that this way. I also find it funny when people say that they'll make a game better than X game because it's their story. Unfortunately, telling stories is hard, telling a good story is even harder, and presenting a story that works in the realm of game development is even harder because so many more things come into play that need to be available to drive the story. 

For both of your games, if you plan on being the single developer, you'd need to scale back like 99% of what you want to do. Because a single person can make a simple space sim or fps shooter. But then trying to add in story elements, complex environments/ characters, and soon you'll be overwhelmed. 
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    Dont let your dreams be memes!

JUST DO IT!!!!

• skyboyfly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    skyboyfly vertex
    something I think people are dying for that they aren't getting is more RTS, when you look at the implosion of the C&C series, all the games that have moved to a capture the flag kind of system, and then just instead of making new games rereleasing classics with upgraded graphics RON AOM AOE2, I think the market is actually huge for the classic style RTS if done right.

skyboyfly said:
    So I have 2 primary game ideas, I've went through each of them fairly well. One is set 2049 or near future, and the other around 2380.

So both of them I want to be somewhat realistic like Arma 3 (Like 70-85%), which obviously the Near future would be the most realistic, both have same general game-play, with a different look, technology, and other things.

For each game my team and I plan on making the multiplayer first, then the story later
    So the first one is called BattleState (Set in 2049) (Think of Call of duty Adavanced warfare, with a much better story, and better look)

The back-story is basically in 2025 the sand-andresfault along with other fault lines cause the earth to alter, governments collapse, in order to maintain order, economic/political unions are formed, with Britan, USA, Japan, and others along with part ownership of company who helped bail out the goverments, and then you have the federation formed which contains Russia, China, and other who help the rebels with supply's and reinforcements. In 2044 a civil war breaks out between the peoples alliance and the Union, the people alliance is well funded,with about the same quality of gear/tech as the union

So the primary game play my team and I would want to focus on is Conquest, where players have multiple maps in which they can travel around a north america map, in different war-zones meaning different points of the north america map in which people can travel to in the main menu (So there will be 10-20 different maps when finished, where players can teleport from the main menu and play on that map) And much like Planet-side the maps can be controlled by players, showing the region controlled by either the AI (Which would be the Union) or the players team (The alliance). With this players would be able to join different randomly generated missions (I have about a list of 50 variables, which I could make over 5000 different missions) There players can do do different missions, rank up, and earn money. Now this will be sorta like a RPG, in which player can have different jobs (Which they can level up those jobs, and switch from job/roles at any time) Players will earn RP (reputation points) which can be used to gear up, and buy vehicles, and by buy vehicles, I meant for a one time use. Players can also use money to buy training courses to be able to actually use gear/weapons/anything and they will have to buy the licensing for the guns after they complete the training course. Now there will be only 1 team in which players can join, and the other team will be AI controlled to increase realism, meaning AI will react to different things, such as killing a Enemy officer will make the AI act ski-dish, and there morality go down. Along with a lot of other realistic effects. Also supplies and gear can be limited if a base, ware-house, hospital, factory, ect. gets taken and is controlled, by the enemy which can limit perks, abilitys, supplies, and 

The second one is BattleStar (set in 2380) (think of Halo, and star citizen for a basic look)

The back story is basically set on a planet, that has been partially colonized, and a war breaks out between the federation and the Rebels, who are well funded and supplied.

The gameplay is basically the same as before with the conquest idea but instead of a continent its the planets map, with the same basic principles as battle state, but with more tech, more enviroments/wild-life, different types of physics, different types of attacking/missions/other/ect., and battle mechanics/tactics.

Although we may have 2 different team in which players can play so instead of Just Player Vs AI, it may be PVP with a mix of AI on each team.

Please give me your opinion of which one you think would be more popular and make the most money.

Thanks for everyones feedback, But to you, I'd like to just say, those types of games like Age of mythology are done way more than C&C RTS games, it's just the fact that they are mostly brower, or mobile games now, which they are hundreds of.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    If you're in it for the money, then those mobile and browser based games are probably your best option. Make a skinner box and fill it with ads and then watch the money roll in.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Haha kudos Steve! It's not often you see casual references around here to psychology classics. :)
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Tekoppar said:
    Yes you have to start somewhere but why not start with a simple FPS as he wants to make a FPS in the end.
    A "simple" FPS is not a thing. It does not exist. If you're doing a game filled with 3D art, it's a massive, colossal task no matter how simple you think the game is. Doing something like a 2D sidescroller limits the scope to a much more realistic level.

Justin's suggestion is even better. Learn to crawl before you try to run.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Actually, I think you can do a simple FPS, I'm on a team that's doing a VR game. Granted, it's 7 people who all have 5-15 years of professional experience.
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Granted, it's 7 people who all have 5-15 years of professional experience.
    "Brain surgery is easy" -a brain surgeon, probably.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    Doing brain surgery isn't so hard. Doing brain surgery well is the real challenge.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Granted, it's 7 people who all have 5-15 years of professional experience.
    "Brain surgery is easy" -a brain surgeon, probably.
    Lololol. Yeah if you have a team full of senior/lead type artists with real experience, the situation will certainly be different. Even then, it's not "simple", it may be somewhat routine because you have a team full of experienced, qualified people, but simple is not how I would describe it.

Judging by the OP's post, I would assume he/his team has very little to no experience. "Think of Call of duty Adavanced warfare, with a much better story, and better look" - this line tells you everything you need to know.

The reality of it is, the learning curve is a lot lower when it comes to making a 32x32 spite sheet for a character than it is to model, uv, texture, rig, animate, and all that. Even for relatively basic old-school Quake 3 spec artwork it's an extensive amount of work.

It's sort of odd that I have to explain this. Surely all the people here with 5-15 years of experience tried to do something like build their own 3D game or mod from scratch when they were just starting out, only to realize how completely and utterly out of their element they were. I know I did, multiple times!
  • Shrike
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shrike interpolator

In all seriousness, start with some unity or game maker video tutorials and learn the basics of coding and art, then you will quickly see what is possible within a given timeframe. Also if you are in for the money then you might want to go into mobile. Mobile games are much closer within your optimal scope either way. Try making a small and fun game with 2D gameplay, no story, no open world, nothing of sorts. 

@Eric , actually the term skinner box is used all the time, especially in free to play and mobile / MMO areas as a form of critique or to describe their mechanics, as its very prelevent
  • sacboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

EarthQuake said:

Judging by the OP's post, I would assume he/his team has very little to no experience. "Think of Call of duty Adavanced warfare, with a much better story, and better look" - this line tells you everything you need to know.

The reality of it is, the learning curve is a lot lower when it comes to making a 32x32 spite sheet for a character than it is to model, uv, texture, rig, animate, and all that. Even for relatively basic old-school Quake 3 spec artwork it's an extensive amount of work.

It's sort of odd that I have to explain this. Surely all the people here with 5-15 years of experience tried to do something like build their own 3D game or mod from scratch when they were just starting out, only to realize how completely and utterly out of their element they were. I know I did, multiple times!

This.

Given the thread's premise, it wasn't that much of a stretch determining the degree of expertise that had authored it, actually I hadn't got beyond the first line in fact:..before penning a response:

'So I have 2 primary game ideas, I've went through each of them fairly well. One is set 2049 or near future, and the other around 2380.'

I've stopped counting the number of occasions these types of statements pop up on the InterWeb from time too time, though be it said well meaning uninitiated ambition to be fair but wholly under resourced in every which way possible...so yeah it is really as simple to keep it, well SIMPLE! full stop.

That mobile platform example I touched on earlier was made by a solo indie dev. The reason offered when he'd eventually pulled it from the App Store and Google Play in 2014 was paradoxically due to it's runaway success had affected his state of mind.

I think probably a topic best left for another discussion. 

• low odor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    low odor polycounter lvl 17

our own blankslatejoe talking about his xp with solo developing  his game Tower of Gun.  Some good info

http://www.gdcvault.com/play/1021895/Creative-Corner-Cutting-Tower-of
  • RN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RN sublime tool
    I've been thinking about the concept of a "game slice", something like a game prototype where the length is super short and the quality is amazing (unless that's exactly what "game prototype" means).

Instead of making a full game, you make only a single level or even a 'short playable moment' of a single level (like an intense moment of the level), and everything should look & feel like shipping quality.
    The amount of work is way less than making the full game, of course, but it still illustrates what you have in mind. You use this product to get funding \ kickstarter etc. to make the full game.
  • MrHobo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MrHobo polycounter lvl 13
    RN said:
    I've been thinking about the concept of a "game slice", something like a game prototype where the length is super short and the quality is amazing (unless that's exactly what "game prototype" means).

Instead of making a full game, you make only a single level or even a 'short playable moment' of a single level (like an intense moment of the level), and everything should look & feel like shipping quality.
    The amount of work is way less than making the full game, of course, but it still illustrates what you have in mind. You use this product to get funding \ kickstarter etc. to make the full game.
    What you're describing is typically called a 'vertical slice'. 
    A prototype is usually very low on the visual fidelity stage but the gameplay mechanics are tuned enough for playtesting.
  • RN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RN sublime tool
    @MrHobo cool words, thanks!
  • Jakob Gavelli
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jakob Gavelli interpolator
    This thread is very strange. This quote: "Think of Call of duty Adavanced warfare, with a much better story, and better look" shows not only how naive they are, but also lacking the fundamental knowledge of what it takes to create a game. And to be honest is shows a lack of respect for game development that a bunch of beginners could even dream to reach the level of AAA quality? 
    You do realize that it took 3 years to make Advanced Warfare for a core team of 100+ people with years and years of experience creating games in the genre?

Not that I know why we even bother as the OP has had minimal involvement in the thread. Posting once a week. 
  • lotet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    This thread is very strange. This quote: "Think of Call of duty Adavanced warfare, with a much better story, and better look" shows not only how naive they are, but also lacking the fundamental knowledge of what it takes to create a game. And to be honest is shows a lack of respect for game development that a bunch of beginners could even dream to reach the level of AAA quality? 
    You do realize that it took 3 years to make Advanced Warfare for a core team of 100+ people with years and years of experience creating games in the genre?

Not that I know why we even bother as the OP has had minimal involvement in the thread. Posting once a week. 
    well half the thread is still memes so I wouldn't worry that much about it =P
  • seth.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seth. polycounter lvl 14
    So wait... the op is going to spend several years making a AAA game based on what a handful of devs say is going to sell more... fucking lawl... do you work in upper management for a publisher already? Cos you have the right attitude for the job.
  • littleclaude
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    littleclaude quad damage
    This website is a great place to start if you are looking into market areas
    http://www.theesa.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/ESA-Essential-Facts-2015.pdf

When you say "Halo, and Star Citizen for a basic look" have you allocated enough time and budget for a little more version drift then both of those games? if so then i think you will be fine ;) good luck!

• Prime8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Prime8 interpolator
    Even though the OP doesn't seem to care, there is some good information in here, thanks for that. :)
  • skyboyfly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    skyboyfly vertex
    Prime8 said:
    Even though the OP doesn't seem to care, there is some good information in here, thanks for that. :)
    Yes, I wanted to see how easy it was to piss people off, along with getting some info into the post (As I wasn't ganna post the long ass paragraph for nothing) (Just to piss people off) ALSO to all those poeple posted.... I'm not in game development for money, I actually love it, it's a part of my life. I don't give a fuck about long hours, I do it because I love it. And you want to talk about long hours,I've stayed up for 64 hours thinking about game development... So yall can fuck off. I have nothing but passion and love for it.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lol

Way to be a professional.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [Deleted User] insane polycounter
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • skyboyfly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    skyboyfly vertex
    lol

Really...You really want to go there... xD I'm 17 almost 18... And the fact that you reposted saying that shows your maturity, normally I would criticize you, but I've seen way to many people get banned from obscene admins. (Which by the way makes  what you said much worse)
  • JordanN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanN interpolator
    This thread is a good example of why experience matters. If you're new to Polycount but your first reaction is to curse out, it means you haven't quite grasp how the forum works yet.

Not that all new users are like this, but the ones who get weeded out quickly are those who don't realize the fragility of attacking other users (or people who do work in the industry).
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hmmm. Do tell.
  • seth.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seth. polycounter lvl 14
    skyboyfly said:
     And you want to talk about long hours,I've stayed up for 64 hours thinking... 
    come talk to me when you have stayed up that long DOING, then I may give you some time.
  • sacboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

skyboyfly said:

Yes, I wanted to see how easy it was to piss people off, along with getting some info into the post (As I wasn't ganna post the long ass paragraph for nothing) (Just to piss people off) ALSO to all those poeple posted.... I'm not in game development for money, I actually love it, it's a part of my life. I don't give a fuck about long hours, I do it because I love it. And you want to talk about long hours,I've stayed up for 64 hours thinking about game development... So yall can fuck off. I have nothing but passion and love for it.

...Charming!

Hit a nerve have we?! hearing the unvarnished truth for the first time perhaps?

With an attitude like that, the OP'll probably last a FAST New York minute *IF* he manages to publish anything, let alone his beloved passion project.

Hmm...let's say for example's sake on the App Store. FUCKING HELL talk about throwing chum too the sharks, especially those doxy-troll "comments" can be exceptionally brutal; Shit! enough to draw blood from every orifice...if memory serves :/ 

Thinking back I've often wondered had I'd lurked around sites like Polycount a bit more thoroughly before I plunged head first into the mire, subsequently dipping a toe dev'ing a browser 32bit crappy side-scroller that bit the dust pretty damn quick...Where I might've ended up today?! 

(wishfully thinking)

Lying back on some sandy beach somewhere warm sipping umbrella drinks, taking in the view of bikini clad babes alongside counting bucket loads of cash...

Instead of busting my hump basically along with hordes of other hopefuls trying to crack the market with the next 'Big Thing'...sigh!!!!!

Fuck you! "Flappy Bird"

Oh...and FYI OP - if you're still hangin around, a piece of free advice. It's fairly rare being treated so politely regarding that post. Actually I'll go so far as respectful even by most who've responded with their insights from real life experience, though it may not seem that way to you at first. So after you've picked up your toys, re-read a few of them there's gold to be had.

Over-'n-out. 

• pigart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pigart polycounter lvl 6
  • chrisradsby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chrisradsby polycounter lvl 14
    skyboyfly said:
    lol

Really...You really want to go there... xD I'm 17 almost 18...

Honestly dude, age doesn't matter and it's probably a good thing you don't have your real name as your user-name. This stuff gets you immediately unliked/blacklisted by lots of industry people.  Most of the veterans here know each other and game dev is a tiny world, you should be more careful about how you behave and talk to others.
  • Prime8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Prime8 interpolator
    skyboyfly said:
    Prime8 said:
    I don't think anyone was actually pissed off before you wrote this.
    Enough said here, I'm fucking off now.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    skyboyfly said:
    Prime8 said:
    Yep, you're 17, that was obvious from your post, and this one as well. It's cool though, you'll get over this and grow up eventually. Despite what you've thought you read here, nobody was excessively mean to you and many offered helpful advice. The fact remains that what you posted was the quintessential "I have no idea what I'm doing but I'm gonna make a blockbuster AAA game" post, which on most parts of the internet would get you trolled really hard.

Most of us have been you at one point or another in life, but then we worked for many years, got good enough to be part of a game project, got to see how the sausage is really made, and realized how foolish our younger versions of self were.

The big lesson here is that "Game Designer" is not an entry level position unless you're someone like Notch who hits it big on a personal project. Everyone has game ideas, everyone thinks they can do X better, but until you actually try you won't realize how delusional this sentiment is.

Which again, is why many suggested starting off small, with a more manageable project so you can come to terms with how video game development works. When I was 13 I started fooling around with 3D modeling, when I was 15 I was working on Quake 3 mods, and by the time I was 18 I was good enough to get paid for my time. That's 7 years between trying to do something and being able to do it at a semi-competent level. Resources are much better these days though, many of the things I had to learn by trial and error are easy available resources, with endless tutorials and the like, so if you're serious about working in games, it's all there, you just have to put in the work.
  • Amsterdam Hilton Hotel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Amsterdam Hilton Hotel insane polycounter
    skyboyfly said:
    I'm not in game development for money, I actually love it, it's a part of my life. I don't give a fuck about long hours, I do it because I love it.
    Just so you know, this describes everyone I've met in the game industry. Passion alone does not make you stand out. It's still good to have and I hope you can channel that passion in a productive direction.

Originally I had written a much more blunt response here. I'm editing it out because you're clearly a young guy and flaming you feels bad. I'll replace it with the same advice I generally give to everyone including myself, which is to make more stuff and talk less.

• Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So check it out, we're launching in a few weeks. Here's a game who's dev team is all professionals, the game focuses on fun gameplay over story and visuals. I think it's going to be a big hit but game dev is really a crap shoot.
    http://store.steampowered.com/app/509250/TO_THE_TOP/

The creator of the game has made smaller games in the past. He was able to recruit talent based on his demo. That's another thing, you'll have a hard time recruiting people and being taken seriously unless you have some sort prototype to show off.

Since the OP said he spent 64 hours straight thinking about game dev, he could have made a game in that time period. Ludum Dare 38 just came and went.