Home Technical Talk

Weird artefacts on normal map

Adiko
vertex
Offline / Send Message
Adiko vertex
Hey guys,
I just started to play a little bit with Marvelous Designer around, after creating some cloth pieces i ported the HP mesh to max to create the LP mesh. After runing ProOptimizer on my 1.4K Million Tris HP mesh i got a nice  8K Tris LP mesh. For some reasons im getting weird looking normals with artefacts "you can see the tris" and i have absolutely no idea why... Maybe someone can help me out here.

The normal map was baked in Substance Designer, with Cage. The whole mesh is using only one smoothing group.

Replies

• Bartalon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bartalon polycounter lvl 12
    I'd say check your HP smoothing (should also be one smoothing group) or your LP UVs to make sure they aren't split at every edge.
  • Adiko
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Adiko vertex
    thanks for the reply
    HP is already on one smoothing group, LP has no split edges...

I just attached the FBX in a rar file, the FBX contains the LP, HP and Cage

• SnowInChina
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SnowInChina interpolator
    all geometrys were flatshaded upon import for me, this is most certainly the issue here
    after merging all double verts and redoing the smoothing i got a good bake
    still some errors caused by bad topology on the lowpoly, didn't bother cleaning them up
    attached is the new lowpoly + normalmap bake

gn8
  • Adiko
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Adiko vertex
    Many thanks for the help... actually i dont care about the mesh... i was just curious what is causing my issue.
    Flatshaded means ? Or let me better ask how can i fix flatshaded geometry ? The whole mesh was set to one smoothing group, i noticed that the LP is looking different... not really smooth even it was set to one smoothing group but i had no idea how to fix it.

EDIT
    Seems like the normals are wrong, i guees this is what you mean by flatshaded? After editing the normals the lp mesh looks already a lot better. i will do a test bake later.
  • SnowInChina
  • Adiko
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Adiko vertex
    Thanks for the video but the clip actually didn't reflect my problems with the mesh . The attatched cloth mesh is using just one UV island and also one smoothing group. While exporting the mesh, Marvelous designer messed up the normals for some reason, after applying a edit normals moddifier and "unify" the normals of the mesh... everything is looking great now. So the problem was not about the smoothing groups/split it was all about the direction of the normals.
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If I understand correctly, that's not exactly it. When they say 'flatshaded', it means there's a break in normals on every edge, and therefore a different smoothing group on either side of said edge (hard edges make more sense in terms of communicating what they do clearly, but they're the same as smoothing groups).
  • Adiko
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Adiko vertex
    Exactly but there was no break on the edges, the whole mesh was on one UV shell without any breaks in them. For some reason the normals on the mesh went crazy and pointed simply in the wrong directions, so the whole shading of the mesh was messed up.

Im aware of how shading / shading behavior works... thats why i was completely clueless what was causing the issue on my mesh. However i got it fixed, so thank you all for helping out to find the issue.