Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[UE4] WIP - Star Citizen Corridor Environment

polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
DeathstrokeFTW polycounter lvl 4
Hi guys,
I am working on a Star Citizen style corridor for study and portfolio work. Now what I am trying to do is how artists over there do their environments and piece together all of it to recreate one done by Matthew Trevelyan Johns. By turning this into a learning experience, I might learn a thing or two. So I am going to model this out in 3DSMax, I'll try use some other package for UVing as I hate UVing in Max and use Quixel and Substance Painter for texturing. I will use Quixel's nDo for the normal map decals to avoid un-necessary geometry and then finally add all of it into Unreal Engine 4.

Critiques welcome!

My first step was exporting the character from UE4 for scaling the environment in Max and block it out.

Replies

• DeathstrokeFTW
    Offline / Send Message
    I may not have the same topo but making progress. The trick part is getting the door area fixed for now.

• DeathstrokeFTW
    Offline / Send Message
    I may have got some measurements wrong but added a few more things :P

• Anchang-Style
    Offline / Send Message
    Anchang-Style polycounter lvl 7
    Really curious how you are going to handle all the geometric details? 
  • DeathstrokeFTW
    Offline / Send Message
    Really curious how you are going to handle all the geometric details? 
    It's quite challenging actually, no wonder they call these guys "Senior" artists :P anyway, most of the normal map details are actually done using normal map decals, I will make a trim sheet of lets say the exhaust grill or bolts and then cut them out and place them on the places I want to as floaters. That is how they do it but they have their own shaders to get better effects but I think I can make a simple one in UE4. Other than that is mostly repeating geo so Ill just have to figure out where to place stuff properly.
  • DeathstrokeFTW
    Offline / Send Message
  • DeathstrokeFTW
    Offline / Send Message
    So much geo xD

• DeathstrokeFTW
    Offline / Send Message
    Making the door was a pain xD
    I still have to make adjustments for it to fit the side.

• DeathstrokeFTW
    Offline / Send Message
    Finished adjusting the door and other missing things. Now I can focus on the roof and add panels on the window side :D 

• DeathstrokeFTW
    Offline / Send Message
    The modelling phase is done. Now to make the trimsheets and UV the meshes.

• macoll
    Offline / Send Message
    macoll polycounter lvl 13
    Interesting, i will follow you  ; )
  • DeathstrokeFTW
    Offline / Send Message
    macoll said:
    Interesting, i will follow you  ; )
    Ty :D 
  • DeathstrokeFTW
    Offline / Send Message
    Sorry for adding no updates, I didnt have much time to work on it lately. I started UVing in Max and I have been facing a lot of crashes and I only managed to UV one part by cutting it in half. I even tried Unfold3D and it crashed too much and was not able to run UVlayout either.
    I will continue to UV all of the models and then try to keep it in 2x2k maps and then work on the NormalMap and Decal Trimsheet.

• Trevelyan .
    Offline / Send Message
    Trevelyan . polycounter lvl 11
    Hi deathstrokeFTW, I'm very flattered you're using my work as inspiration for your own project, I'm looking forward to seeing your progress and it'll be interesting to see it in Unreal too! Keep it up! 
  • DeathstrokeFTW
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi deathstrokeFTW, I'm very flattered you're using my work as inspiration for your own project, I'm looking forward to seeing your progress and it'll be interesting to see it in Unreal too! Keep it up! 
    The honor is mine, you're work has inspired me a lot and I hope become a good artist as you someday xD I just dont know where i should specialize, I like making environments and also vehicles but most of the work I do usually ends up in the sci-fi genre.
    I have applied to CIG many times but I ended up facing rejection so I hope when this is done I can apply again.
  • Trevelyan .
    Offline / Send Message
    Trevelyan . polycounter lvl 11
    That's awesome, I'm really glad to hear you feel inspired! My advice would be to focus in the area you enjoy the most, environments for example, but don't be afraid to cover more than just one genre. My other 'insider tip' would be to do this with tiling textures and to perhaps think about how you can expand the scene a little, or change it in some way, to give it your own spin, after all you'll apply to cig again with this piece I assume and so it might be cool to show how you can elaborate and potentially improve on something they're already familiar with :) hope that helps! 
  • DeathstrokeFTW
    Offline / Send Message
    That's awesome, I'm really glad to hear you feel inspired! My advice would be to focus in the area you enjoy the most, environments for example, but don't be afraid to cover more than just one genre. My other 'insider tip' would be to do this with tiling textures and to perhaps think about how you can expand the scene a little, or change it in some way, to give it your own spin, after all you'll apply to cig again with this piece I assume and so it might be cool to show how you can elaborate and potentially improve on something they're already familiar with :) hope that helps! 
    Thanks for the tips! And I am going to do tiling textures using Quixel, this way I can export them to UE4 and create a Master Material then mask parts using the Material ID. I just hope this works out.
  • DeathstrokeFTW
    Offline / Send Message
    Placed the meshes inside UE4 for playing, I just realized I made a few errors in calculating the size of the corridor :(

• DeathstrokeFTW
    Offline / Send Message
    Texture work, still trying to figure out how to fix the texture difference, it has both been the same when i used Painter and Quixel even with sRGB off.

• FreneticPonies
    Offline / Send Message
    FreneticPonies polycounter lvl 3
    Hmm, maybe the metal is a bit TOO noisy?
  • DeathstrokeFTW
    Offline / Send Message
    Hmm, maybe the metal is a bit TOO noisy?
    Yeah, Ive had trouble setting up the roughness and metallic maps. The result looks drastically different than in Quixel :/
  • DeathstrokeFTW
    Offline / Send Message
    I think I will go for flat colors for now and then slowly start working on details. This would have been a lot smoother if my Master Material had worked.
  • lloydj14
    Offline / Send Message
    lloydj14 polycounter lvl 6
    Have you tried using the UE4 lighting preset in 3Do to get a better idea of what it will look like? It not great but it might help if you haven't tried it already

• DeathstrokeFTW
    Offline / Send Message
    lloydj14 said:
    Have you tried using the UE4 lighting preset in 3Do to get a better idea of what it will look like? It not great but it might help if you haven't tried it already

I have, the textures looked waaaaaaaaaaaay better in 3Do rather than UE4, the thing is Quixel has different setups and UE4 doesnt have them :/
  • DeathstrokeFTW
    Offline / Send Message
    Slapping flat textures with minor editing.
  • monodrobe
    Offline / Send Message
    monodrobe polycounter lvl 9
    If you re having issues with your rough masks not responding quite how you expect make sure you have srgb disabled on those textures. If you disable it set your sample type to linear color on the texture sample node (these will be set automatically if you drop in the texture to the node graph, but if you change the texture afterwards you ll need to update the sample type to the appropriate one). Alternatively you can just select "masks" from compression settings for an easy default, or "greyscale "for a better compression. Although with grey scale you do sacrifice the individual rgb channels for the increase in quality so you ll use up more texture samples in your node graph.
  • Asim7
    Offline / Send Message
    Asim7 polycounter lvl 8
    You seem to have made the door and the wall details all in one mesh? I am a bit curious as to why? Wouldn't it be easier to have made them as seperate models? Especially for a game model, if the door is supposed to open and close? It's looking great though, really looking forward to seeing the progress :)
  • DeathstrokeFTW
    Offline / Send Message
    monodrobe said:
    If you re having issues with your rough masks not responding quite how you expect make sure you have srgb disabled on those textures. If you disable it set your sample type to linear color on the texture sample node (these will be set automatically if you drop in the texture to the node graph, but if you change the texture afterwards you ll need to update the sample type to the appropriate one). Alternatively you can just select "masks" from compression settings for an easy default, or "greyscale "for a better compression. Although with grey scale you do sacrifice the individual rgb channels for the increase in quality so you ll use up more texture samples in your node graph.
    I have tried that earlier but its not making an difference. I will work on my Roughness and Metalness maps later :/
    Asim7 said:
    You seem to have made the door and the wall details all in one mesh? I am a bit curious as to why? Wouldn't it be easier to have made them as seperate models? Especially for a game model, if the door is supposed to open and close? It's looking great though, really looking forward to seeing the progress :)
    They are all separate models actually, I can even detach the door inside and make it open but for now I am keeping it as a static scene. If you look at my wireframes above most of the objects are individual objects.
  • Asim7
    Offline / Send Message
    Asim7 polycounter lvl 8
    Hmm, it might just be me being a noob :smiley:
    So you modeled the door and other details seperatly, and then attached them to the main corridor mesh for now right? And you can then detach them later if you wanted, but right now they are attached as 1 big model correct?

Sorry, not trying to nitpick or anything. Im just used to making very low poly game models, so for me it seems like a lot of tris being used on something i maybe might have been without. If the details had just been slottet into the walls for example, without attaching them and connecting.
  • TheCloudCreator
    Asim7 said:
    So you modeled the door and other details seperatly, and then attached them to the main corridor mesh for now right? And you can then detach them later if you wanted, but right now they are attached as 1 big model correct?

Sorry, not trying to nitpick or anything. Im just used to making very low poly game models, so for me it seems like a lot of tris being used on something i maybe might have been without. If the details had just been slottet into the walls for example, without attaching them and connecting.
    I get what you mean exactly. I'm currently working on som props in which it would be best to "slot" the meshes together. Saving poly's. However, when you're working with light baking in a game engine it can often cause splotches when the mesh is not closed properly.
  • DeathstrokeFTW
    Offline / Send Message
    Asim7 said:

Heh I didnt attach them i just used aligned them by using snap by vertices/edges.
  • Asim7
    Offline / Send Message
    Asim7 polycounter lvl 8
    I get what you mean exactly. I'm currently working on som props in which it would be best to "slot" the meshes together. Saving poly's. However, when you're working with light baking in a game engine it can often cause splotches when the mesh is not closed properly.
    Ah ok, yea that makes sence :)

Heh I didnt attach them i just used aligned them by using snap by vertices/edges.
    I see, my mistake. Thanks for the explanation :smiley:
  • Broodlord_Craft
    Deathstroke, I am a new 3d modeler and I was wondering, where did you learn to 3d model/ do you have suggestions or tips for newer people?
  • DeathstrokeFTW
    Offline / Send Message
    Deathstroke, I am a new 3d modeler and I was wondering, where did you learn to 3d model/ do you have suggestions or tips for newer people?
    I mostly started out of hobby back then there werent many tutorials or even youtube xD about in 2013 I started studying as a degree so most of what I learned was through tutorials and critiques. The best way to model is to start with something small and keep working hard even if you fail you learn something. Also software wise, Blender (free) and 3DS Max are great modelling tools for starters.
  • DragonGuard
    Offline / Send Message
    DragonGuard triangle
    Hey. For your materials, what filetype are you using? I noticed that sometimes my textures in Unreal don't match when I have them set to 16/32 bit/ channel png's in photoshop. Setting it to 8bit  (image>Mode) or using .tga usually solves this for me.
  • DeathstrokeFTW
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey. For your materials, what filetype are you using? I noticed that sometimes my textures in Unreal don't match when I have them set to 16/32 bit/ channel png's in photoshop. Setting it to 8bit  (image>Mode) or using .tga usually solves this for me.
    I use Targa but also PNG. For this project Im using PNG though I think I should use Targa :/
  • Broodlord_Craft
    When it comes to modeling for games, which is better? Maya or 3Ds max?
  • Doxturtle
    Offline / Send Message
    Doxturtle polycounter lvl 8
    There are lots of threads on this already if you search the forums :) I have used both, Maya and Max, personally I think Max makes some parts of the process easier, however Maya is definately a solid program too, you can use both, just depends on your preference
  • peloncr
    Offline / Send Message
    peloncr polycounter lvl 3
    @DeathstrokeFTW

Awesome work u have in there! Congrats :) One quick question and sorry If I missed it but when do u use DDO and Substance? Or it's like a mixed use of both? Cheers!
  • DeathstrokeFTW
    Offline / Send Message
    When it comes to modeling for games, which is better? Maya or 3Ds max?
    I would say Max because its great in modelling, Maya has better animation controls and the industry uses it too. But if you're good in Max you can get used to Maya once you know the basic controls.
  • DeathstrokeFTW
    Offline / Send Message
    peloncr said:
    @DeathstrokeFTW

Awesome work u have in there! Congrats :) One quick question and sorry If I missed it but when do u use DDO and Substance? Or it's like a mixed use of both? Cheers!
    Its good to get noticed xD
    I use both but it depends on the project, Quixel is fun when you want to setup base textures (kinda like what I am doing right now) and then I mix Substance Painter for adding details such as scratches, bumps etc. You can use Quixel/Substance and be done with but if you want to learn things you have to get your hands dirty xD
  • RedLehari
    Offline / Send Message
    RedLehari polycounter lvl 11
    Hey man, will fav this thread and will be wishing you the best on it as I wanna go on the same path on my last project for uni, and try a shot at CIG.
    I will have a whole year for it so I wanna do the outside and inside of a small ship (maybe something smaller than the Freelancer); I'm still unsure I will do from my own concept or copy one of the ships.
    I've been fascinated with the technique that they use for star citizen and have been researching it for a quite a while, there's a whole thread about the Differed Normal Decals that is used on SC (Just be careful as it seem that the Deffered Decals are broken on latest version of UE4)
    Edit: Just saw your comment on the thread. xD

Been experiment this on Uni projects and also had some problems exporting the Scratch and Grime RMA packed textures for the master material.

Anyway, all the luck on it.

• DeathstrokeFTW
    Offline / Send Message
    RedLehari said:
    Hey man, will fav this thread and will be wishing you the best on it as I wanna go on the same path on my last project for uni, and try a shot at CIG.
    I will have a whole year for it so I wanna do the outside and inside of a small ship (maybe something smaller than the Freelancer); I'm still unsure I will do from my own concept or copy one of the ships.
    I've been fascinated with the technique that they use for star citizen and have been researching it for a quite a while, there's a whole thread about the Differed Normal Decals that is used on SC (Just be careful as it seem that the Deffered Decals are broken on latest version of UE4)
    Edit: Just saw your comment on the thread. xD

Been experiment this on Uni projects and also had some problems exporting the Scratch and Grime RMA packed textures for the master material.

Anyway, all the luck on it.

Thanks and good luck with that too!
    I had the same problem with the scratch and grime so I though I would just make it normally. I also planned to make the whole ship but that isnt going to happen anytime soon xD I also have a plan for a smaller ship, about the size of a VTOL Dropship to keep things small and interesting.
    I also wanna do hand painted things, its the main reason that got me into 3D so I can give a shot at Blizzard.
    Right now I am having a hard time concentrating on my work as my dad isnt really supportive of my career path (He let me study but still) so I am extremely extremely stressed if I will ever get a job in the game industry, its been almost 9 months.
  • DeathstrokeFTW
    Offline / Send Message
    Everything is going painfully slow and Quixel keeps crashing on the other hand :/
    Just got to finish these base textures and move on to Substance Painter so I can add more details. I might use 3DCoat too because Quixel nDo keeps crashing for me or bugging out in the middle of the project :/ 
  • DeathstrokeFTW
    Offline / Send Message
    Textured the door and the floor in Painter but the results suck :(
  • Menchen
    Offline / Send Message
    Menchen polycounter lvl 3
    I'm also trying to follow Star Citizen as exercise to improve my art; In fact, I'm going to start this same model this week.

Why don't you try the Star Citizen Workflow in its whole? As Trevelyans said, instead of using substance painter, why not creating tileable materials in designer and simply adding them as a material to the mesh?
  • DeathstrokeFTW
    Offline / Send Message
    Menchen said:
    I'm also trying to follow Star Citizen as exercise to improve my art; In fact, I'm going to start this same model this week.

Why don't you try the Star Citizen Workflow in its whole? As Trevelyans said, instead of using substance painter, why not creating tileable materials in designer and simply adding them as a material to the mesh?
    I cant wrap my head around Designer, I need to practice alot before I can make good textures, I did try using quixel but my master material failed :P Right now I realized my UE4 export config was mixed up between channel so I might have better textures :P
    I may give it a shot again when I get time. 
  • macoll
    Offline / Send Message
    macoll polycounter lvl 13
    Hey keep up and don't say it sucks ;)
    The roughness map is the most important in a PBR workflow, work more on it.
    With a good placement of some SphereReflectionCapture actors, a better lighitng (fill, key etc...) and a clean post process, it will look good ;)
  • AXEL
    Offline / Send Message
    AXEL polycounter lvl 6
    Hey just noticed this I'm currently making the same scene :D
  • DeathstrokeFTW
    Offline / Send Message
    AXEL said:
    Hey just noticed this I'm currently making the same scene :D
    :D 
  • Bomb_Bear
    Offline / Send Message
    Bomb_Bear polycounter lvl 4
    Hey great stuff so far but as other have said I would also suggest using tiled material. Looks like your texel is a little low maybe. Since you said you were not so hot with designer why not try making them in Painter? it might be a little trickier but I think in the long run it will look great! Their workflow is midpoly using tiled materials, floating geo and custom normals. Good luck