Home Animation Showcase & Critiques

BA's - Animation Thread

polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
BradleyMAdams polycounter lvl 3
I'll just be generally posting animations that I've done for feedback and critic etc.

<p><a href="">Bradley Adams - 3D Animator - Early 2017</a> from <a href="https://vimeo.com/user10917796">Bradley Adams</a> on <a href="https://vimeo.com">Vimeo</a>.</p>

• First pass on this animation test, feedback and critic is welcomed :)

https://syncsketch.com/playground/01d5c8bdfe3a4ad6b28d6e39d734265b#207518

Replies

• slipsius
    That's gorgeous. You did it with someone else? What exactly did you do? Just the animation? Did you do it from scratch?
  • BradleyMAdams
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius said:
    That's gorgeous. You did it with someone else? What exactly did you do? Just the animation? Did you do it from scratch?
    Yeah I'm working with someone else on these shots where the snow leopard will be in a live-action shot, I'm only responsible for the animation, whereas the groom is done by the guy I'm working with, it doesn't even have fur dynamics yet, its just the animation and xgen descriptions rendered.

We are planning for so much more, as this is very much early days.
  • Hito
    Offline / Send Message
    Hito interpolator
    the feet are difficult to see, if you're looking for feedback on the animation might be better to show it without the hair, and from a 3/4 or side angle. from what's visible looks like it's coming along very nicely.
  • BradleyMAdams
    Offline / Send Message
    Hito said:
    the feet are difficult to see, if you're looking for feedback on the animation might be better to show it without the hair, and from a 3/4 or side angle. from what's visible looks like it's coming along very nicely.
    I'm looking for feedback from the camera angle of which the animation will be viewed from. I can show other angles but for any film animations you're only concerned about what the camera sees. I've now added a playblast of the shot in the OP. Thank you, should have it in the scene final in the next week or so.
  • BradleyMAdams
    Offline / Send Message
    I've updated my showreel showing the final renders of the snow leopard animation that was shown earlier.

See in the OP.
  • slipsius
    Some good stuff, Brad! I would ditch that last shot of the guy jumping over the pit. It's easily your weakest piece, and leaves a bad taste in the viewers mouth at the end of your reel. It s just not as well polished as your other stuff. If you put up a syncsketch for it, id be happy to crit it more in depth.
  • BradleyMAdams
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius said:
    Some good stuff, Brad! I would ditch that last shot of the guy jumping over the pit. It's easily your weakest piece, and leaves a bad taste in the viewers mouth at the end of your reel. It s just not as well polished as your other stuff. If you put up a syncsketch for it, id be happy to crit it more in depth.
    Thank you, yeah I just felt it was a bit short, so I added that in at the end. I agree and will remove it ASAP.

Could you perhaps advise me on the types of examples that would be good to show on a showreel, I'm graduating soon and I want to keep improving my showreel before I start applying.
  • Hito
    Offline / Send Message
    Hito interpolator
    really nice stuff. The big cat animations look really nice, so is the werewolf transformation. I think the head could look less down during "have you seen the rest of my body?" since it hides the meaty part of the acting for that shot. easiest thing to do is drop a different material, or full texture, for the eyes so it pops out from the head and rely on the eyes instead of whole head to convey the sadness. another way is put the looking down action between the talking bits. He chuckles, scans down, then looks back up and says "have you seen..." The head could use a warmer material to go a little further, without spending huge amount of time tuning the textures and shaders.
  • BradleyMAdams
    Offline / Send Message
    Hito said:
    really nice stuff. The big cat animations look really nice, so is the werewolf transformation. I think the head could look less down during "have you seen the rest of my body?" since it hides the meaty part of the acting for that shot. easiest thing to do is drop a different material, or full texture, for the eyes so it pops out from the head and rely on the eyes instead of whole head to convey the sadness. another way is put the looking down action between the talking bits. He chuckles, scans down, then looks back up and says "have you seen..." The head could use a warmer material to go a little further, without spending huge amount of time tuning the textures and shaders.
    Thank you, yeah i agree I've totally neglected any textures or shaders partially since it didn't come with the rig but you're definitely right, in this instance it would help the animation. Thanks for pointing that out. :D

I've been working on this shot, my first attempt at a creature fight scene, there's some obvious timing and weight issues, but I just wanted some feedback or input from someone other than my own judgements :).  I've added a sync sketch in the original post.
  • BradleyMAdams
    Offline / Send Message

I've been working on this shot, my first attempt at a creature fight scene, there's some obvious timing and weight issues, but I just wanted some feedback or input from someone other than my own judgements :).  I've added a sync sketch in the original post.
    Sketchsync link here also: https://syncsketch.com/playground/55065941a41a44dea22b13e6a15e5c6b#169475

• BradleyMAdams
    Offline / Send Message
    updated my showreel to include some new work.

Added:
    More animations of the leopard
    Spider attack anim
    New lip sync anim

Showreel in the OP.
  • BradleyMAdams
    Offline / Send Message
    I was wondering if I could get some feedback on this animation?

Its in second pass at the moment and I need to rework the tail and refine it further.

https://syncsketch.com/sketch/159391#193362

• Hito
    Offline / Send Message
    Hito interpolator
    Looking nice! Few spots that stood out to me. @ ~74, the torso is a little more forward than your pose, that should help with the back leg locking to full extension trying to reach landing. play around with some compression in the torso translates, could help sell the landing more as well. The other one is the scapula "bump" comes from the shoulder bearing the weight of the torso, not from one front leg crossing over the planted front leg. In other words the "bump" is on the planted side, not on the lifted side; compare your poses with the ref at 81~83; 114~117. From 233~236 I think the front legs landing too far forward is forcing you to overextend the rear legs on the push off, pull them back about 1.5 paw's length. lastly the scapula bump at 260~262
  • BradleyMAdams
    Offline / Send Message
    Hito said:
    Looking nice! Few spots that stood out to me. @ ~74, the torso is a little more forward than your pose, that should help with the back leg locking to full extension trying to reach landing. play around with some compression in the torso translates, could help sell the landing more as well. The other one is the scapula "bump" comes from the shoulder bearing the weight of the torso, not from one front leg crossing over the planted front leg. In other words the "bump" is on the planted side, not on the lifted side; compare your poses with the ref at 81~83; 114~117. From 233~236 I think the front legs landing too far forward is forcing you to overextend the rear legs on the push off, pull them back about 1.5 paw's length. lastly the scapula bump at 260~262
    Thanks! I'll start to correct those issues,

I'm trying to improve my animation cycles and was wondering if I could get some feedback on that too.

https://syncsketch.com/sketch/159632#193737

• BradleyMAdams
    Offline / Send Message
    Updated my showreel.

• BradleyMAdams
    Offline / Send Message
    First pass on this animation test, feedback and critic is welcomed :)

https://syncsketch.com/playground/01d5c8bdfe3a4ad6b28d6e39d734265b#207518