Home General Discussion

Brexit and games

interpolator
Offline / Send Message
Hito interpolator
So it's official.

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2017/mar/30/uk-games-companies-leaving-brexit-vote-eu-workers
the study cited by that article http://ukie.org.uk/brexit

I'm curious about story from those with boots on the ground. what have you all heard or not heard so far?

Replies

• Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    I hope some studios look at Portugal and realise ( despite the bureocracy ) its a great place to setup studios !
  • RyanB
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lots of people left the UK to work in Canada when the UK was part of the EU. 
  • Stinger88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinger88 polycounter
    I'd be interested in Portugal having more of an industry as well (Wife being from PT n that). Even though I can't stand the heat in summer, i'm sure i'd get used to it.

As for Brexit. I really don't know what the future holds. We were given assurances after the vote that our studio is commited to remaining in the UK and the skills found in the UK are very highly valued. I know that hiring has been a bit of an issue, but it always has been up North. Trying to get people to move away from London is near impossible. And people have an impression that "The North" is this cool dark grey always raining slumland. Which it isnt... Add to that, trying to hire people to come to a country that is in "uncertain times" is going to be near impossible.

However, the survey asks. "Are you considering"... In uncertain times I'm quite suprised the number isn't higher, considering... If I owned a company I'd be considering a lot of things.

That said. And without  wanting to get all political n that. Brexit can kiss my arse!

@RyanB thats mostly because Canada was offering a tax break to the industry. The UK almost got a tax break as well but the banking crash hit and put a stop to it. Anyway, Canada is a lovely country. I even looked at moving their myself. People leaving was nothing to do with the EU.
  • thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    i think the brexit business environment uncertainity of the last months must be expressed in those seemingly really low numbers of jobs i see posted in recruiter newsletters to my inbox for months now.

when i last worked over there, the percentage of fellow workers from the EU among staff seemed indeed universally very significant so difficulties in attracting people from the continent must be becoming quite the headache for companies. i know from now on if i personally wanted to deal with visa and paperwork and customs, i'd look across the atlantic first, sorry chaps! :)

here's to hoping it'll all lead to increasing opportunities on the continent though. preferably somewhere with good weather! ;)

• Melazee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Melazee polycounter lvl 11
    Dreadful. You guys don't want to come here anyway, we are all miserable and the weather is terrible. I travelled to LA last year and found myself thinking how lucky devs there are to have such beautiful weather! ;)

Here's hoping that this will at least spur on an improvement with current game art education in the UK. It's not particularly amazing right now. We need something like the Gnomon school.
  • Biomag
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Biomag sublime tool
    I moved last winter to Helsinki from Austria as my girlfriend got a job there. I could register there, get health insurance and everythiing else without issues, although we are not married, while I myself right now don't have a job there. Benefit of being an EU-citizen. No barriers, no problems, pretty much the same thing as moving within Austria.

Now thinking about taking a job in the UK with the Brexit coming up this things won't be as easy and pretty much unsecure in the future. Since we are not married most probably we would have a hard time to follow the other one in the future because of visa issues. Without any information how EU-citizens will be treated once the Brexit is through, you can hardly make any long term plans there. That makes for me any job in the UK a second class solution and only really interesting if I can't get a job elsewhere. Also before going through all the visa-stuff just to get a job in the UK I probably would rather push for a job in Canada, since there are some of the best hubs for our industry. Overall UK has lost a lot of appeal for me and I guess that will be the same for many other artists from the EU.

Bankers are already leaving London in big numbers in favor of Frankfurt and Paris. Its going to be interesting to see how our industry reacts.
  • fearian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fearian greentooth
    As Biomag said, noone has a clue what will happen for EU citizens in the UK as brexit unfolds and that uncertainty itself is unbelievable.

we have EU nationals in our UK studio but we're just waiting to see what the fuck will happen because even the government doesn't have a clue. 

Also I guarantee smaller companies will be less likely to hire from abroad now that the government charges them £1000 a year for every non UK employee.

All this said I don't see the company relocating. That would just increase the headaches. Brexit is fucking shite.
  • firestarter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    firestarter polycounter lvl 18
    fearian said:
     hire from abroad now that the government charges them £1000 a year for every non UK employee.

Talk about shoot yourself in the foot (repeatedly).
  • Amsterdam Hilton Hotel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Amsterdam Hilton Hotel insane polycounter
    fearian said:
    Also I guarantee smaller companies will be less likely to hire from abroad now that the government charges them £1000 a year for every non UK employee.

All this said I don't see the company relocating. That would just increase the headaches. Brexit is fucking shite.
    do you realize this is why people voted for it
  • Swaggletooth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Swaggletooth polycounter lvl 5
    As much as I hate Brexit, I'm not going to be unduly worried about it myself. Even if companies do relocate, I suspect that (as is often the case) the old staff will either set up a new studio or get poached by a nearby company; the alternative is that you find yourself working in Europe - right now would that really be so bad? :tongue:

It seems like the EU is quite keen to put Theresa May in her place, so I'm hoping that will at least force her to water down a lot of the crazy ideas the far-right over here are demanding. I would like to think that in 5 or 10 years time we can undo all this bullshit and return to the EU.

Please excuse me while I start battering my keyboard.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    If by !put her in her place", you mean "embarrass so thoroughly she resigns as a laughing stock in short order", then i hope you're exactly correct.
  • cptSwing
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cptSwing polycounter lvl 11
    Foreshadow of a broken up EU..? Certainly seems the crazies are gaining in number across the board..
  • Biomag
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Biomag sublime tool
    I doubt that this is the beginning of the end of the EU. I am pretty sure this will rather serve as an example how bad a split up is going to end for the ones leaving. I doubt the future for the UK is anywhere near bright and you actually saw in a couple of countries how much more careful right wings with their seperationist demands became after the referendum and reality kicked in.

The Brexit isn't good for the EU, but by far worse for the UK and if the union shows some guts and little compromise towards the UK it can even gain some momentum after going through some repairs/reforms using the Brexit as a warning.
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    If by !put her in her place", you mean "embarrass so thoroughly she resigns as a laughing stock in short order", then i hope you're exactly correct.
    she doesn't need the EU's help for that. As Donald Tusk said "The EU is not going to punish the UK. The Brexit alone is punishment enough". Given the less than rosy outlook, he's about right.

For the next 2 - 4 years, until the dust settles, I can't imagine how the UK will attract foreign senior staff, unless they're extremely high paid. Just like in China, you will need a plan B if for some reason your visa doesn't get extended or when a populist government decides your taxes buy you less benefits than you'd get if you were a local. That's just not a good situation to bring your wife and kid along, and certainly no basis to eventually settle down.

• Swaggletooth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Swaggletooth polycounter lvl 5
    I wish. She's incredibly stubborn, it's a hard headedness that hasn't endeared her in Europe - so really she needs the other EU leaders to tell her to stop being so stupid. She's like a poker player who only holds a 2 and 3, but holds out in the ridiculous hope that someone else will fold first... but everyone knows what her hand is anyway.

cptSwing said:
    Foreshadow of a broken up EU..? Certainly seems the crazies are gaining in number across the board..
    I doubt it. It's more likely that the UK will break up, for the first time in my life people are actually seriously considering Northern Ireland leaving the UK to rejoin Ireland; Scotland's indepence looks incredibly likely as well. So really I much more imagine that Europe will be taking a lesson from the UK that leaving and break up are a bad thing.

It's all very sad really.
  • Millenia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Millenia polycount sponsor
    I think there'll be less issues with studios relocating as there will be brain drain of both the native and EU game devs to other countries, since there are less logistics involved with a single person leaving rather than the headache of moving an entire company.

The reduced rate of intake from other European countries combined with the brain drain will likely result in shortages of skilled people - while this might be good for new graduates and their employment prospects, you can't really build a game with just juniors and interns, not in the short term, anyway.

I love working at ECG but a disastrous Brexit would very likely make me look for employment elsewhere. It's a bit sad really :/
  • thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    not sure anybody is suggesting that entire studios relocate, usually this works by opening up a satellite in another country to tap into that market. depending on how this whole charade plays out over time i think it may be possible that international pubs start to close down their UK shops and set up or buy out something elsewhere - but that would affect studios already kind of on the chopping block.

• miguelnarayan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    miguelnarayan polycounter lvl 8
    Yeah. Portugal would be indeed nice, but at the pace the industry is moving (or rather not moving) within Portugal, I don't see it happening, although it'd be great, so I would start applying to jobs without worrying about visas.
    Shame! We have a nice balanced weather, hot summers, cold winters and beaches all around.
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    Yeah. Portugal would be indeed nice, but at the pace the industry is moving (or rather not moving) within Portugal, I don't see it happening, although it'd be great, so I would start applying to jobs without worrying about visas.
    Shame! We have a nice balanced weather, hot summers, cold winters and beaches all around.
    Our internal industry is actually growing alot ( at least from what i see on gamedevmeets\ gamedevcamp each year ,plus working side by side with some studios ) , but yeah , not on the level of countries that have proper investment in games .

The great advantage is cost of living , altho our bureocracy is a fucking nightmare ( for me to fund my company i had to fill more shit than i needed to buy my house )
  • RustySpannerz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RustySpannerz polycounter lvl 13
    I doubt it. It's more likely that the UK will break up, for the first time in my life people are actually seriously considering Northern Ireland leaving the UK to rejoin Ireland; Scotland's indepence looks incredibly likely as well. So really I much more imagine that Europe will be taking a lesson from the UK that leaving and break up are a bad thing.
    At least if NI join IE then they get back in the union. We in Scotland are doomed to be have to wait to re-enter even if we do get independence. I'd hate to be out of the UK and the EU! I just want good job prospects!
  • Elithenia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Elithenia polycounter
    As a foreigner in the UK I'm starting to look at where else I'd be able to get a job, since it is not looking too good to stay. But then it is the question of where to go, where chances are looking up, etc.. as well as all the paperwork to stay in a new country. It's quite the hassle no matter what will happen it looks like. 
  • Hito
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hito interpolator
    Elithenia said:
    As a foreigner in the UK I'm starting to look at where else I'd be able to get a job, since it is not looking too good to stay. But then it is the question of where to go, where chances are looking up, etc.. as well as all the paperwork to stay in a new country. It's quite the hassle no matter what will happen it looks like. 
    Do  you expect UK to kickout non-nationals in a couple years or whenever the negotiations wrap? Last I heard EU has something that allows UKers to stay and work on the continent if UK really leaves, maybe that was just a proposal and not official?
  • Cay
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cay polycounter lvl 5
    As far as I know they were just bouncing ideas around about the UK still being part of the single market, free movement and all. But that's been rejected by the UK government so far.. let's just lean back and watch what happens.. not much you can do anyway. Nothing has been decided yet... apart from that they are leaving.. which is both good and bad.
    If it comes to that.. I'd appreciate leaving on my own terms though.
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    Hito said:
    Elithenia said:
    Do  you expect UK to kickout non-nationals in a couple years or whenever the negotiations wrap? Last I heard EU has something that allows UKers to stay and work on the continent if UK really leaves, maybe that was just a proposal and not official?
    If the UK moves to a visa based system, then yes, I think a lot of people will have a difficult time. Such as job seekers and recent graduates, people in-between jobs, freelancers who don't make a certain amount of taxable money, people who don't fit a Canadian-style points based immigration scheme, pensioners, and so on. Which means the first thing many people will do, who are allowed to stay, will be looking into permanent residency options to secure against those risks.
  • Elithenia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Elithenia polycounter
    Thing is, if the UK kicks out EU nationals, then the EU will kick out all the UK nationals living abroad as well.
    And they do not seem like this, as that is something that has been threatened to happen.

However, that doesn't mean that they won't try to get rid of the non-nationals with a visa system, point system, lots of paper works etc. There's a myriad of ways to make it difficult for someone to stay in a country, even if they aren't 'kicked-out' per se. 

Having a £1,000 fine for companies hiring non-nationals is one way of doing it. Since it isn't against the non-nationalists, but rather the companies employing them, it is not seen as something 'kicking' foreigners out, but in reality it has the same effect.
    If the UK would make it harder for people from the EU to get a job, by fining the companies, then the EU nationals will seek job elsewhere and the UK would have managed to effectively pushed people out, without making the EU send them back the UK citizens living elsewhere (because the UK is still abiding by free movement.... just making it that bit harder to get a job, by no fault of the worker)
  • Stinger88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinger88 polycounter
    The likelihood that Eu nationals (That were here prior to either the vote or article 50, cant remember which is legally binding) will get kicked out is quite low imo.

Securing the status of EU nationals living in Britain is "apparently" one of the first things they will be negotiating. It's inconceivable that Uk would say, "No they have to go" and the same goes for EU kicking out UK citizens living in EU. Both sides have suggested that it wouldn't come to that so I'm hoping it'll be a simple case of "we both want, it so lets do it". It something that should have been guaranteed long ago but both sides are holding off till its time to put their cards on the table.

That said. The UK voted to leave and because of this I believe the right thing to do would have been to make the first good will gesture by saying EU citizens status (Before whatever date) in the UK is secure.

This situation has directly affected me and my wife. She is Portuguese. She took Brexit pretty hard, we both did. But she has felt insecure here since the vote. She's lived here for 11 years and worked and payed taxes in all that time. We also got married a few years back. But even with all that she has still felt pressured to get residency and is currently applying for citizenship (Today in fact!). We witnessed first hand the scheming attempts from the home office to deny her application and make it harder (It failed!). She has done all the tests for citizenship and passed and only needs to fill in the final application. All in all its cost us £2000 and a bit of stress. And there is always that niggling thought in the back of your head that her application might be denied, and you don't get any of the money back, which is scandalous! She always said she was going to do it anyway, but with Brexit it kinda made it a necessity. As said, I don't think she has anything to worry about. She has a very strong case for being here.

My heart goes out to the new comers (less than 5yrs) who have only been here a few years and in that time may have started families, etc. They are the ones with real worries.

I'm quite confident that the negotiations will secure the status for immigrants on both sides. But its one of those things. We didn't think Brexit would happen (Farage himself didn't even think it possible tbh). We didn't think Trump would happen... You just never know these days. And I don't trust the Tories in the slightest.

Its a shitty situation to be sure. Anyway, I got so wrapped up in politics because of Brexit my Facebook has become a source of anger when I look at my feed. Luckily I follow a lot of Otter pages and the otter gifs help me get through the day.

• Elithenia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Elithenia polycounter
    I agree with you @Stinger88. And I'm sorry to hear that it has affected you and your wife.

I've been in this country for almost 7 years. I've worked, paid taxes, held flats etc to my name.  However 5,5 of those years were in higher education. According to the people I talked to about getting a residency here, education years were not counted. And hence I have only been here less than 2 years according to them. And so I have not really any 'valid' reasons to be here, because any UK citizen would be able to do my job just as well.

A lot of the people I have worked with here, from the EU, have tried to file for residency as soon as they heard Brexit might happen. Those that did before the vote were delayed until after the vote, and still are in a limbo, or have gotten a denial. I'm still waiting to hear back if my friend have gotten a residency even though he has set up two companies here that are going strong, and he's been here for over 10 years now. But he still has not gotten a response even though he applied way ahead of the Brexit vote

It is more the fact that, even if both sides want it, they are holding off to share the future of the people, and that in itself is making the very ground unstable for those of us who are not nationals in the UK. Because it is an uncertainty. 
    Even if both sides are considering guaranteeing that people can stay, the fact that they don't say yes or no to it, is creating a situation where you cannot be certain of anything. 

It is also creating quite a bit of an atmosphere at workplaces. I've come across friendly banter of 'so when are you leaving the country?' to genuine comments about that us foreigners are a pest to the country and should get out. I never had that problem before, and lots of it is just taking a turn for the worse. 
  • thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    Hito said:
    Last I heard EU has something that allows UKers to stay and work on the continent if UK really leaves, maybe that was just a proposal and not official?
    definitely just a proposal being floated by someone who wanted their name in the papers. as i recall the fineprint for this was that it basically would require reciprocity. they're not going to introduce one-way legislation out of pity. ;)
  • Stinger88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinger88 polycounter
    Wow. I didn't know being a student wouldn't count toward it. I was under the impression that as long as you've been living here and can prove it (bills, tax, etc) , you have a right to remain. Because there was freedom of movement being here as a student or working should give you the same status. Even those here that were claiming benefits should be given the right to remain imo.

The trouble we had with residency was that she applied straight after the vote. The home office wasn't staffed to coup with the influx of applications and it caused chaos. I even heard they outsourced some of the application and that company were giving staff incentives (M&S vouchers, i recall) to meet targets to deny people! I'd have to check the facts (Something I've got quite good at. FACT CHECK EVERYTHING YOU READ AND HEAR!).

When my wife applied, her first application was denied. The reason given was that she hadn't filled out the payment section of the application correctly (Which she had). They sent back all paperwork but conveniently, its against the rules to sent back the payment section so we couldn't prove anything. So, on top of that, there is a £25 charge for a failed application. Which isn't even enforced btw. So if she chose not to apply again they wouldn't have chased it up! Anyway, she applied again and included a separate cheque for £25 for the previous denied application. I made copies of all paperwork this time and triple checked it was correctly filled out. Anyway, a few weeks later we received a letter stating that the £25 charge was deemed "inappropriate" and we got that back and her application went through.

It was obvious that they were just trying to make it more difficult and hoping maybe she'd give up. I expect many people would have stopped after the first application. Maybe they cant afford the £25 or just cant be bothered with the extra stress. Very shady tactics and a total scam.

We have a large amount of EU nationals here at work as well. I've not really noticed much of a change at work and people seem generally secure here as far as I can tell. I expect there is still a lot of anxiety. Our company has given assurances and will do anything required to keep people here.

Sorry to hear that you've witnessed people saying "foreigners are pests". If I'd seen that at work i'd be pretty upset. Even people joking about such things would probably end up in a disciplinary.

Outside of work i've heard of friends getting heckled on the street. Lately Spanish friends getting shouted at about Gibraltar... If I witness anything like that, i'd like to say I'd end up in trouble with the police... But the sensible thing. Get out your mobile and record it. Best to get them in trouble for being dickheads rather than you... Then turn the phone of and beat seven shade of shit out of them ;P
  • Elithenia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Elithenia polycounter
    Stinger88 said:
    Wow. I didn't know being a student wouldn't count toward it. I was under the impression that as long as you've been living here and can prove it (bills, tax, etc) , you have a right to remain. Because there was freedom of movement being here as a student or working should give you the same status. Even those here that were claiming benefits should be given the right to remain imo.
    Well that is what I heard, and since I have been reluctant to apply for residency myself, I haven't checked that it holds true. However, there was some scare articles going around with similar things to this a few months ago as well. 
    Stinger88 said:
    The trouble we had with residency was that she applied straight after the vote. The home office wasn't staffed to coup with the influx of applications and it caused chaos. I even heard they outsourced some of the application and that company were giving staff incentives (M&S vouchers, i recall) to meet targets to deny people! I'd have to check the facts (Something I've got quite good at. FACT CHECK EVERYTHING YOU READ AND HEAR!).
    :O yeah this would explain why a lot of people were getting denied straight after! 
    Stinger88 said:
    It was obvious that they were just trying to make it more difficult and hoping maybe she'd give up. I expect many people would have stopped after the first application. Maybe they cant afford the £25 or just cant be bothered with the extra stress. Very shady tactics and a total scam.
    Yes, very shady. But it goes hand in hand with the £1,000 fine for employers to employ EU nationals as well. It looks like it could be a very effective way to keep people out of the market. Because as you say, there might be a multitude of reasons to not apply again. 
    Stinger88 said:
    Our company has given assurances and will do anything required to keep people here.
    That is lovely to hear! The company I worked for when the vote happened were almost totally made up of EU nationals, and were more likely to make us ...expendable.. and try to hire locally at the offices in other countries, or to get UK citizens in. 
    Stinger88 said:
    Sorry to hear that you've witnessed people saying "foreigners are pests". If I'd seen that at work i'd be pretty upset. Even people joking about such things would probably end up in a disciplinary.
    Sadly it was more taken as 'banter' and ... well. anyway, I hope it is better now.
    Stinger88 said:
    Outside of work i've heard of friends getting heckled on the street. Lately Spanish friends getting shouted at about Gibraltar... If I witness anything like that, i'd like to say I'd end up in trouble with the police... But the sensible thing. Get out your mobile and record it. Best to get them in trouble for being dickheads rather than you... Then turn the phone of and beat seven shade of shit out of them ;P
    I have friends who has gotten rude notes because they are Polish, telling them to take their stuff and leave already, among other things. Thankfully I haven't gotten much of that vibe from where I work now, as we are a very international team, and we are all in the same boat pretty much. So there's a better support for the people here. Although I still doubt I'd have the phone skills necessary to get a good footage of it xD
  • Sugus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sugus polycounter lvl 7
    To quickly add: Your time as student does count towards the 5 years as long as you held a compelling health insurance. The European Health Card counts towards that for example :)