Home Technical Talk

GTX 1060 or GTX 1070 for GPU rendering...

Jonathan85
polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
Jonathan85 polycounter lvl 9
GTX 1060 or GTX 1070 for GPU rendering...

Hello im building new PC on AMD Ryzen (probably 1800X) and im wondering what GPU should i get, if i want to use it in "graphics stuff", mainly probably GPU rendering. Im split between GTX 1060 6GB which i would prefer cause its cheaper or GTX 1070 8GB...
The GTX 1070 8GB is 160% of the price of GTX 1060 6 GB in my country. But according to test it offers only 140% of the performance in games (AFAIK) and most important only 120-130% (AFAIK) performance in "graphic stuff" for 160% of the price...
So the price/performance ratio is in favour of 1060 6 GB... But still...

What would you get for graphic stuff? (i will probably have the card for at least 5 years, i dont upgrade often)...

Replies

• Quack!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Quack! polycounter lvl 17
    If price is a concern I always recommend getting the xx60 series of Nvidia. It generally has the best power to price ratio, and with the money you saved from the higher end version, you can buy another xx60 in a couple years that will outclass the xx70 or xx80's of the previous generations.
  • Bleed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bleed polycounter lvl 8
    Quack! said:
    If price is a concern I always recommend getting the xx60 series of Nvidia. It generally has the best power to price ratio, and with the money you saved from the higher end version, you can buy another xx60 in a couple years that will outclass the xx70 or xx80's of the previous generations.
    What about between an AMD RX 480 and the nVidia 1060. What would be best for 3d rendering?
  • Quack!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Quack! polycounter lvl 17
    They both look to be similar in performance, with the 480 Rx being cheaper.

With that said, having great, functioning drivers that work with 3D applications is key to what we do, and I have not had luck with AMD cards on that front.
  • PolyHertz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz polycount lvl 666
    Depending on what GPU renderer you want to use, AMD might not be an option. I don't really do much rendering, but doing a quick google search this seems to be the state of GPU renderers atm :

Redshift : No support for AMD.
    IRAY : No support for AMD.
    Thea Presto : No support for AMD.
    Indigo : Works on AMD but is noticeably slower then on comparable NVIDIA GPUs.
    Furryball RT : Does not support raytracing on AMD GPUs.
    V-Ray RT : Only works with newer AMD GPUs.
    Octane : Not sure on this one. Seems they had a build that worked with AMD last year but were having driver issues with it.
    Radeon ProRender ( aka. FireRender ) : AMD exclusive GPU renderer.
  • Jonathan85
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jonathan85 polycounter lvl 9
    Yeah i know that AMD is sadly not an option for serious CGI work (rendering including).
    So you would recommend the 1060 6 GB instead of 1070 8 GB... ? What about that 8 GB... it could be usefull, in redshift it can speed up the rendering when you allocate the free memory...

Im split... i dont know what to get :-(... I can afford the 1070 quite easily... but its a fact that the price/performance ratio is not really good on that card. In my country it around 155% more expensive when offerring only 120-125% higher performance (yet granted, also additional 2 GB of memory)... im confused! :-)

what would you get?
  • tmammela
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tmammela polycounter lvl 6
    I own both 1060 and 1070. I would get 1070 over 1060 any day if you can afford it. There is a big difference in performance.

That said, 1060 is a good card for the price.
  • cptSwing
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cptSwing polycounter lvl 11
    A gut feeling tells me that the 8GB of video ram might help you with Substance Painter and the like 2-3 years down the line..
  • Burpee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Burpee polycounter lvl 9
    i'd say go for the 1070, even tho it's a little bit more expensive, it's get REALLY fast when I start using Vray RT, and I nearly don't have any latence painting in Painter in 4k,  I'd go for it since it's the best price / value ratio. 
    Cheers ! 
  • throttlekitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    For RAM size, bigger is pretty much always going to be better, but again with the price vs. what you actually need. I think most GPU renderers will stop the job if there is not enough VRAM, they won't page to disk or system memory.
  • prashuksd
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    For Vram bigger is better ,... and is future proof.. i would recommend 1070 over 1060 as 1070 supports SLI and 1060 cards at the moment doesnt comes with SLI support. With this in future u can just add 1 more same or updated card which will  double the performance by merely adding the card and updating the PSU. And u vl have a hell of a beast to play with.
  • Alex_J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
    I don't know much about this sort of thing. i built my machine based on some random article I found online, but it works well. I've got :

GeForce GTX 1060 6GB
    AMD Ryzen 5 1600 Six Core
    16GB RAM

I've worked on as many as four 4k texture sets in Substance Painter with zero lag -- although I did run out of RAM when I started getting a lot of layers with tons of mask, smart materials, etc. At that point, I had to do a few recommendations from Allegorithmic like turning off v-sync and some other random settings. Also observe better layer stack organization.

I haven't done much non-realtime rendering, so that doesn't help you at all. But that's my experience.